Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #41
bobH

Default Re: purchasing flathead camshafts who do we turn to?

There's a 'ton' of good reading material here. Makes me feel really 'inadequate', and emphasizes how much I could learn. Thanks to all. And greatful for those tilden and mid state references.
JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #42
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
It was the L-100, sorry about that. Since then I realized the numbers didn't mean all that much. Just try it, you might like it. I doubt that Pete has never seen one let alone run one. And yes, I think the 1007B is a great cam as well, because I have run it, along with the Howard F-9. But I picked the L-100 as the best street cam and have sold dozens of them and had no complaints.
The "Master Has Spoken !" with this legendary experience ! you know every last word in this quote is "FACT"
Ol'Ron has so much proven experience he is willing to share with us all , we are so blessed ! He is a man that has actually tried it all & does not assume like some . What he educates us on is from his envied experience .
Thanks so much for all the knowledge you share with us "OL'Ron"
Cheers
KiWi-Tony
Ron what is your experience with the 1007LD ?

Last edited by KiWinUS; 02-25-2015 at 09:32 PM.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #43
Pete

Quote from Ol' Ron.
"I doubt that Pete has never seen one let alone run one."

Yes, I have seen several. I have put various grinds over them.
You are right in that I have never run one. It has no place in a race engine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #44
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Quote from Ol' Ron.
"I doubt that Pete has never seen one let alone run one."

Yes, I have seen several. I have put various grinds over them.
You are right in that I have never run one. It has no place in a race engine.
Ahh we all understand , your engines wouldnt stay together with the power of the L100 you had to de-tune them with a re-re-grind , all makes sense !
Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #45
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Ahh we all understand , your engines wouldnt stay together with the power of the L100 you had to de-tune them with a re-re-grind , all makes sense !
ROFLMAO.....
Good one.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #46
Binx

Quote:
The "Master Has Spoken !" with this legendary experience ! you know every last word in this quote is "FACT"
Ol'Ron has so much proven experience he is willing to share with us all , we are so blessed ! He is a man that has actually tried it all & does not assume like some . What he educates us on is from his envied experience .
Cheers
KiWi-Tony
Tony, don't be so glib. As I recall you copied a cam from the previous grinder which makes yours 2nd generation or later. You don't have the original master so you're riding a wave. Don't be that guy. You may want to set up an engine with a degree wheel and dial gauges to be sure of what you are selling.

Lonnie

Last edited by Binx; 02-25-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #47
Fordors

Quote:
Cheers
KiWi-Tony
Well at least picking a cam based on an endorsement is better than buying one because you listened to the audio of a flathead on youtube.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #48
Ol' Ron

One thing I know for sure, I wouldn't know the first thing about designing or grinding a cam, and I have a great deal of respect for those that do. Guys like Pete and David Generous do this for a living. Sometines I thik Pete can be a little obstinate, but that's due to Old age. We get cranky sometimes. I raced in lower classes than he did both at the drags and on the track. I tried allot of things that didn't work, but I learned by my failures. At my age now, I just like to help people. and the real hero here is David generous. Also the 1007B is a very good cam. I have run one and I have one in KGS engine. So lets let sleeping dogs lay.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #49
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
One thing I know for sure, I wouldn't know the first thing about designing or grinding a cam, and I have a great deal of respect for those that do. Guys like Pete and David Generous do this for a living. Sometines I thik Pete can be a little obstinate, but that's due to Old age. We get cranky sometimes. I raced in lower classes than he did both at the drags and on the track. I tried allot of things that didn't work, but I learned by my failures. At my age now, I just like to help people. and the real hero here is David generous. Also the 1007B is a very good cam. I have run one and I have one in KGS engine. So lets let sleeping dogs lay.
It was meant as humor, Ron.
Oh, and I may look old but everything still works... LOL
Old 02-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #50
Ol' Ron

Wish I could say the same, but I'm still game.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:50 AM   #51
HotRodmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Tony, don't be so glib. As I recall you copied a cam from the previous grinder which makes yours 2nd generation or later. You don't have the original master so you're riding a wave. Don't be that guy. You may want to set up an engine with a degree wheel and dial gauges to be sure of what you are selling.

Lonnie

He just want to sell his cams.....
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 AM   #52
Tim Ayers

Judging by some of these posts, one would believe the L100 is better than that little blue pill...

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-26-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #53
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post

Lonnie
Binx, I think you are correct. Early on when the L100 started being promoted, the story on the 'barn was that Dave bought the masters and "cleaned them up" someway by computer and developed what he was selling. So his cam probably wasn't what the Litero Bros were making, but maybe performed better. 'Ol Ron might can clear this up.

and I think it would be great if Tony (or somebody with the skills) would verify the Kiwi L100 specs if it hasn't been done already.

Last edited by 40cpe; 02-26-2015 at 11:02 AM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #54
rockfla

This may be getting a little off topic but.....I have a 59AB I would like to massage from stock, any suggestions on cam, head work, 2 or 3 carbs, etc etc. I want a very streetable motor nothing radical. I was able, a while back, to drive a "stock looking" ROUSH built flathead or as they said a standard rebuild. I think they said in that form that it was about 165hp, I know driving it, it was like no other flathead I had ever driven. I think ROUSH uses scat crank, modified SBC rods, and they said they use the "OLE" police polish on the intake side, not much to do other than that on the intake side????? I know Ole Ron has preached the milling of the standard heads.....so any input would be greatly appreciated.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #55
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Binx, I think you are correct. Early on when the L100 started being promoted, the story on the 'barn was that Dave bought the masters and "cleaned them up" someway by computer and developed what he was selling. So his cam probably wasn't what the Litero Bros were making, but maybe performed better. 'Ol Ron might can clear this up.

and I think it would be great if Tony (or somebody with the skills) would verify the Kiwi L100 specs if it hasn't been done already.
Not a problem Gene , I have listed this previously & also the details of how we arrived at the 2014 KiWi-L100.
Here are the specs:-
standard timing check @.015 tappet travel
IN. opens 30*BTDC close 68*ABDC
EX.opens 66*BBDC close 24*ATDC
111* lobe centers
Lift IN..368 EX .369
Duration @.050 IN 246* EX 238*
Having built flatheads for over 46 years & collecting Ford Flathead speed Equipment including a large collection of "Original " hot rod cams of all brands , some still new including a Winfield in box from Winfield , New Isky 404 & radius lifters are just a couple , for 46 years also , I to have tried many of the "Good Ole " cams & as many of these very knowledgeable flathead & cam guys on here know there is a lot more to a great running flathead than just the cam. No different than any other engine or race engine& having spent over 40 very successful years building race engines & race cars for all kinds of racing I too like Ol'Ron have learnt many things the hard way !
Cheers
Tony

Last edited by KiWinUS; 02-26-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #56
Kahuna

Tony
please check the duration @ .050 listed. I don't think it's correct
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #57
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Tony
please check the duration @ .050 listed. I don't think it's correct
Thank you so much , it is now correct ,trying to hurry at lunch time
Cheers
Tony
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #58
KiWinUS

Talking Re: purchasing flathead camshafts who do we turn to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Judging by some of these posts, one would believe the L100 is better than that little blue pill...
Tim , it is ! The way it runs & the way it sounds it sure works the same for me
& it doesn't complain !
Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #59
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Tim , it is ! The way it runs & the way it sounds it sure works the same for me
& it doesn't complain !
Tony

Funny and oddly true, but not an image any of us would ever what to see.

Cheers!

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #60
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
This may be getting a little off topic but.....I have a 59AB I would like to massage from stock, any suggestions on cam, head work, 2 or 3 carbs, etc etc. I want a very streetable motor nothing radical. I was able, a while back, to drive a "stock looking" ROUSH built flathead or as they said a standard rebuild. I think they said in that form that it was about 165hp, I know driving it, it was like no other flathead I had ever driven. I think ROUSH uses scat crank, modified SBC rods, and they said they use the "OLE" police polish on the intake side, not much to do other than that on the intake side????? I know Ole Ron has preached the milling of the standard heads.....so any input would be greatly appreciated.
G'Day rockfla , well since you asked I would strongly suggest a KiWi-L100 cam for your hot rod build . Will sound like a hot rod & run strong like a hot rod should !
Well I have worked for Jack Roush for a long time & can call him a friend even longer , like 30 years & he is a real flathead nut !!! He has many old cars , most in Detroit but I take care of his stunning 40 coupe he keeps in his hangar here in Charlotte . I have done a lot of work to it over the years . It has been in the "Great Race" twice & wrecked bad the last time it was entered. Now to the engine !!! First this flatty freakin runs ...........has original type trans & rear axle , hydraulic clutch , stock brakes , stock looking aluminum radiator . Modified Mallory distributor with 2 pick up & 2 MSD boxes , Large aluminum gas tank with 2 electric pumps & regulators . A single Stromberg "48" carb , painted Canadian aluminum heads .3 5/16 bore with 4 1/4 crank. It has Jacks own design lightweight pistons with narrow metric rings . The most stunning stainless headers with slip joints you could imagine. I have driven it a bunch even from Charlotte down to the Moonshine Festival in Charlotte a few years ago. It is fast , I have never checked what rear gears it has but I had it up to 110 (by GPS) & it was still pulling strong.When I told Jack I had it that fast his big smile lit up & said it should do 125!!! its very docile & will pull high gear from 30mph but when you get to 65 this baby lays you back in the seat & wants to run . So fun to drive & I am so glad you had the oportunity to drive one of these similar engines !!!
Cheers
Tony