Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
quickchange34

Default Condensers

I need a couple of good condensers for a Harmon Collins Dist. The last ones I got were from Jim at Bubbas Any body know where to go . Thanks
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
mfirth

Default Re: Condensers

Not sure, but these guys will have them or know where 2 go....Tubman or Charlie ny; both Barners
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #3
tubman

Here's a picture of a couple of mine mounted on an H&C dual coil. I will be the first to admit it, they are kind of expensive, but then again, you don't want to mount a couple of wimpy looking condensers from your FLAPS on a high performance distributor.

Plus, they have proven to be super reliable. I have had the prototype on my '51 Club Coupe since 2016 and have since sold over 300 without a single reported failure.

EDIT : I will also add a couple of pictures that a customer sent me of one of my condensers mounted on an H&C single point distributor. This guy polished everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Condenser3A.jpg (36.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg HC1.jpg (7.1 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg HC2.jpg (6.0 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by tubman; 11-14-2021 at 08:00 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #4
mfirth

Denny, GR8 looking stuff & I am sure good performance too !!!!!!
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

Denny/Tubmans condensers are what he says they are, a quality piece.
A more conventional look is a STEINER F-4, Google SteinerTractor parts

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Just send me $ 64 bucks and a sell addressed envelope and i will ship ya two new vertex units ??
Bubbas Ignition
5237 Ford street
Indianapolis Indiana 46224
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Just send me $ 64 bucks and a sell addressed envelope and i will ship ya two new vertex units ??
Bubbas Ignition
5237 Ford street
Indianapolis Indiana 46224
Bubba, would you please post a picture here of that Vertex condenser. I'm looking for a good condenser to use on my '35 helmet distributors, and would like to see how that Vertex unit could be mounted. TIA

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Bubba, would you please post a picture here of that Vertex condenser. I'm looking for a good condenser to use on my '35 helmet distributors, and would like to see how that Vertex unit could be mounted. TIA
http://www.bubbasignition.com/condensors.html glad to help
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
quickchange34

Thanks to all those who responded to my Quest.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

I use ASC magneto condensers/capacitors on my HC builds. These are what Bubba will supply you, though you can also purchase them from various magneto builders. There are two different ratings --> .36 uF and .28 uF.

Either would probably work for your needs - though the smaller ones are quite a bit cheaper (if cost is an issue). If Bubba can supply you with two of the .36 uF ones for $64, that is a cheap price.

https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Pro...er--2500-0093M

https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Pro...er--2500-0093N
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Question: Is this a new HC build . . . or an existing one? There are a lot of "tricks" I use on these older distributors - primarily to ensure that the "yellow" secondary plate doesn't leak high-voltage to all sorts of bad places. There are two versions of the secondary coil plates - one tends to have more problems than the other and even NOS ones have been shown to have issues. If you find issues with misfiring on the four plugs that run off the yellow mid-plate, then the only real way to fix it is to replace the plate, modify it or put some modifications/tricks into play.

I highly recommend that you run it up on a distributor machine with your actual coils and plug wires - you may see some very interesting results related to the secondary side. Also, try to NOT run any sort of noise suppression wire - as they will increase the resistance from the cap to the plugs and this increases the likelihood that the secondary high-voltage will find "other places" to jump too - versus your plugs.

Now, if you have a great running unit that only needs new condensers, disregard my babble!. LOL
Old 11-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
petehoovie

Bored&Stroked says:

"I use ASC magneto condensers/capacitors on my HC builds. These are what Bubba will supply you, though you can also purchase them from various magneto builders. There are two different ratings --> .36 uF and .28 uF.

Either would probably work for your needs - though the smaller ones are quite a bit cheaper (if cost is an issue). If Bubba can supply you with two of the .36 uF ones for $64, that is a cheap price."

https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Pro...er--2500-0093M

FIE/Mallory Super Mag 2/Sprint .36uF Condenser
Price: $42.95 Part No.: 2500-0093M

Categories:
Mag Drives
Mag Accessories
Mags & Coils
FIE
MALLORY

This .36uF condenser is used on Sprint Mags and Super Mag 2's. Also used on some Vertex mags that have been slightly increased in output. Mounts internally on the point plate. Mounting hardware included.

https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Pro...er--2500-0093N

FIE/Vertex .28uF Condenser
Price: $15.80 Part No.: 2500-0093N

Categories:
Mag Drives
Mag Accessories
Mags & Coils
VERTEX
FIE

This .28 uF condenser is used on stock output Vertex magnetos. Mounts internally on the point plate in the stock bracket.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 11-17-2021 at 02:34 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

Not having used a points style distributor in quite a few years, I'd like to know what's available for the SBC points style distributor? Would Tubmans condenser work on 12V?
Gramps.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Not having used a points style distributor in quite a few years, I'd like to know what's available for the SBC points style distributor? Would Tubmans condenser work on 12V?
Gramps.

Yes. I've been using Tubman's condenser for a few months now...probably 3500 miles...on my 8CM with 12v and Chev distributor. Very nice and works perfectly. It's mounted on the coil bracket.
A condenser won't care if 6v or 12v by the way.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

Thanks, guess I'll have to get one.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:47 AM   #16
quickchange34

Bored & Stroked I was lucky to find three of the Harmon Collins Distributors NOS plus parts for them years ago. You are correct , there is a difference in the secondary plates . Which one gives the most problems . I have two of the three distributors on two of my cars .They both have about 10,000 miles with no problems so far. Both engines were fresh builds . The third one is going on a engine I am building now. I have replaced the condensers on the first two when i installed them on the engines even though they were new. Yes I am running soled core wire on all three.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #17
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange34 View Post
Bored & Stroked I was lucky to find three of the Harmon Collins Distributors NOS plus parts for them years ago. You are correct , there is a difference in the secondary plates . Which one gives the most problems . I have two of the three distributors on two of my cars .They both have about 10,000 miles with no problems so far. Both engines were fresh builds . The third one is going on a engine I am building now. I have replaced the condensers on the first two when i installed them on the engines even though they were new. Yes I am running soled core wire on all three.
The secondary plate that tends to be the most problematic is the one where you can see the points wires screws/lugs on the rotor side of the plate. Usually they tried to shield the lugs from potential coil leakage with a bit of plastic (which deteriorates). I've seen many cases there the high voltage from the coil would arc into those lugs. If you see issues, you might grind those areas out with a rotary bit and put non-conductive electrical epoxy into the areas.

The later version of the plates used a screw out the side of the plate to attach to the points wires.

I test this stuff with a full coil/plug setup on my distributor machine - with a "special" test cap that has holes bored in the top so I can see what is going on. You'll usually see the issues with the 4 plugs related to the secondary plate - the observed sparks don't fire correctly.

Maybe I'll post a couple videos to Youtube and show the issues.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #18
quickchange34

Bored & Stroked Thanks for your information . Much appreciated . I have a couple of the secondary plates for parts and they are new but one has the lugs where you said and the other has the lugs on the outside. It would be nice to see a video on the Harmon Collins.