Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2023, 11:54 AM   #1
Jim Brierley

Default Pistons for Burtz engine

What is everyone using for pistons? I have a set bought from Antique engine Rebuilding, no name on them. The box says .001" - .002". My past experience tells me this is not nearly enough, I usually bore to .003" and hone another .0005". I have never had a problem doing it like that.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Pistons for Burtz engine

Burtz recommends the Egge pistons and rings: https://egge.com. Terry says that the rings seat quicker and seal better. I used the standard pistons from Snyders and I think that was a mistake. I have 2,500 miles on the engine and I don't think the rings have seated yet. I took the head off at 1,500 miles and the honing marks were still there. In my opinion, the Burtz block is hard, a lot harder than the original engines.

0.001 to 0.002 clearance is too tight. I would not hone the Burtz block but return the pistons and go with Egge. When you get the pistons, check the clearance. The pistons are not round but cam ground to be oblong. The are designed to be round once the engine has reached operating temperature. I am not familiar with Edde pistons, but if the skirts are split, the pistons may be tight at the skirts and still work well.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-04-2023 at 02:33 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #3
emf

I bought the Egge pistons that were recommended and also the Hasting rings. I figured I was doing this once, so I overlooked the added expense of the Egge pistons.

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:58 PM   #4
ModelA29

Old style gray cast iron rings will seat fastest. Besides longevity modern cars at higher RPM, looking for better mileage (lower drag) and more HP has created newer styles of rings of harder/stronger materials. Rings can be seated and still have hone marks. If you aren't burning oil they are seated. Old style cast iron rings should be fine in a Burtz. Even though it's a modern engine of modern materials we're not trying to seal 10:1 compression, revving to 7,000 or expecting to drive it 1/4 million+ miles.

https://www.aa1car.com/library/ar293.htm

Whole heartedly with buy the best/recommended stuff for the build and do it once.

Last edited by ModelA29; 06-04-2023 at 06:12 PM.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #5
Synchro909

I used Egge pistons in my Burtz engine and it wasn't until about 1,500 - 2,000 miles that I felt things had settled in. It is still going well but I'd expect that at these miles. All that said, my highest mileage engine uses Snyder (or similar) pistons and although things are now a bit loose, it is still going as well as ever. It is difficult to give a figure on how much work it has done because it works very hard while I tow the camper (which weighs in at about a tonne). It has done about 50-60,000 miles that way but I struggle to put a figure on how much more demanding each miles is compared to a solo car. On the basis that it is dragging about double the weight around, my guess is that it would be at least a 50% loading. That would mean the equivalent of 80-90,000 miles plus for a solo car at least.
As far as I'm concerned, those Snyders pistons have done a darned good job (as has everything else in there). I wouldn't underestimate them.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:39 PM   #6
Pete

Even though the engine designer recommends them and they almost certainly will outlast several owners, I would never spend several thousand dollars for a quality engine and put cheap cast pistons in it. It is like buying second hand oats.
A lot of people don't know it but forged street pistons have been available for many years.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:41 AM   #7
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Old style gray cast iron rings will seat fastest. Besides longevity modern cars at higher RPM, looking for better mileage (lower drag) and more HP has created newer styles of rings of harder/stronger materials. Rings can be seated and still have hone marks. If you aren't burning oil they are seated. Old style cast iron rings should be fine in a Burtz. Even though it's a modern engine of modern materials we're not trying to seal 10:1 compression, revving to 7,000 or expecting to drive it 1/4 million+ miles.
https://www.aa1car.com/library/ar293.htm
Whole heartedly with buy the best/recommended stuff for the build and do it once.
Modern cars such as Subaru and Audi, that I know of, (having experienced oil drinking) often use low tension rings and zero grade oil to improve fuel consumption figures. Not saying the rings are low tension in this case tho.
https://www.noln.net/running-a-shop/...on-ring-design
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:04 PM   #8
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Modern cars ...often use low tension rings ... to improve fuel consumption figures.
Blame the EPA and manufacturers having to chase mileage. It's also the reason you no longer have rain gutters and a door over the gas cap. If it helps mileage .00001% they'll do it.
Expense for parts in this thread kinda falls on deaf ears for me. The gapless steel ring set in my race engine was almost $450. I could buy a whole set for my A engine for less than 1 cylinder of those.

I don't know where I first heard it but - buy once cry once - you usually end up having to buy the good stuff after the cheap parts failed so you might as well spend the money up front.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:59 PM   #9
CT Jack

I am using EGGE E1104-4 pistons in my Burtz engine which use narrow rings compared to standard Model A pistons. The pistons are fitted with a set of 665 Hasting rings coated with manganese phosphate for improved break in.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:08 PM   #10
Dan McEachern

Jim- call AER and ask them how much clearance their pistons need. What do the piston skirts measure??
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:31 AM   #11
jeepguy1948

Jim asked about piston clearance, not what brand to use and not what rings to use either.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:56 AM   #12
Jim Brierley

Thanks to all!

I spoke with Leonard Nettles yesterday, and the Silv-O-Lite pistons he has are .002" smaller than normal Model A pistons, I think I'll go with them.

Pete, I agree to a point. I use forged Ross pistons in my Bonneville engine but cast in my street engines. Ross are strong and light, but expensive, and this will be just a street engine.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:43 AM   #13
Dan McEachern

So........ what exactly are "normal" Model A pistons? What's the skirt diameter on the Silvolite pistons? I can do the math..............
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #14
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Pete, I agree to a point. I use forged Ross pistons in my Bonneville engine but cast in my street engines. Ross are strong and light, but expensive, and this will be just a street engine.
I understand completely but never forget the second hand oats.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:32 AM   #15
Dodge

Jim,
Do the AER pistons use Std. Model A 1/8 width rings or do they use the 5/64 rings?

I got two different answers from the new owners.

I've been using the Egge's with .003 to .004. They are a lot lighter than the Silvolite's

How much do those AER pistons weigh?
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #16
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Jim,
Do the AER pistons use Std. Model A 1/8 width rings or do they use the 5/64 rings?

I got two different answers from the new owners.

I've been using the Egge's with .003 to .004. They are a lot lighter than the Silvolite's

How much do those AER pistons weigh?
5/64th's