Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2023, 09:00 AM   #1
Cwarner

Default Gear Oil

Hi Barners,

I've been wanting to try some SAE 250w oil in my A rear-end/transmission/steering box for a while now but sourcing it around here seems to be challenging. I went to my local NAPA assuming they would not have it on the shelf but maybe could order me some. When I asked about it he went in the back and brought out a gallon of 250w hydraulic fluid and said "this is the same viscosity". Not knowing much on if hydraulic fluid would be an acceptable substitute I declined and decided to ask here to see if anyone else had run hydraulic fluid in their A in place of regular gear oil?
Cwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: Gear Oil

I would not recommend using hydraulic oil in any gearbox, especially a manual transmission or rear axle. Hydraulic oil does not contain the needed anti-shear additives required to cushion gears as they shear against each other. Stay with a GL-4 gear lube product of at least 85-140 or greater if you can find it. The so called 600 wt. oil from the various Model A parts suppliers is what is mostly used.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
Y-Blockhead

If you insist on trying 250 W get some Penrite Transoil 250. https://restorationstuff.com carries it.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:54 AM   #4
jb-ob

C.,
I have some experience with 250 wt gear oil.....,limited because with Long Island winter weather temps, shifting doesn't much happen between December and April. I extended my driving season, first by switching to 140wt and now finally to 85-140.

Just sharing as your mileage may vary. Best, jb
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
Cwarner

mc,

Thanks for that information and that is exactly why I hesitated when I was presented that option.

Y-B: Thank you for that resource I will check them out!

jb: Thanks for that insight. I drive my A until the weather up here takes a nosedive which can be anywhere from mid Nov- Mid Dec, then it sleeps in the garage til Mid April. Sounds like the 250 could cause some issues at the fringes of my driving season, I will take that into consideration!

Thanks all
Cwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:26 AM   #6
Mike Peters

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...ear-600-xp-680

This is what I have used for the past 30 years. I get a five gallon pail that lasts me 15 years or more, depending. Not cheap, but a quality product.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote