Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2023, 03:05 PM   #1
ronn

Default BAT-crazy prices and a 29 phaeton

time to start selling on BAT

29 phaeton with tons wrong just went for 29k. ouch!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: BAT-crazy prices and a 29 phaeton

Oh come on, I mean other than the paint job and the chrome and the bumper brackets and the fender brackets and the wiper and the chrome and the wind wings and the top and the door handles and the chrome and the upholstery and the fuel gauge and the tailpipe and the chrome, it's not that bad.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
time to start selling on BAT

29 phaeton with tons wrong just went for 29k. ouch!
I do NOT understand this mindset. Many here continually complain about how Model-As not worth restoring, and many think the Model-A hobby is dying ...yet there was over 9,000 people who viewed this sale, ...and 752 people watched it to see what the final bid was ...and there were 39 bids to take it to $29k.

Yeah, the paint color combination may make some purist cringe however this car looks like a lot of fun for two couples to go to dinner in, -or this car has enough room for Grandpa to take all the grandkids to go get ice cream. From that vantage point, twenty nine thousand dollars is not that much money when fun is involved.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...d-model-a-117/

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Thanks, Brent for posting the link.....the car has more appeal than I was expecting to see.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 05:18 PM   #5
Gary WA

With a Tool Kit!! Fun Car!! Enjoy your ride!!!
Old 05-05-2023, 05:30 PM   #6
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I do NOT understand this mindset. Many here continually complain about how Model-As not worth restoring, and many think the Model-A hobby is dying ...yet there was over 9,000 people who viewed this sale, ...and 752 people watched it to see what the final bid was ...and there were 39 bids to take it to $29k.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...d-model-a-117/
I'm hoping that the interest in model "A"s will continue to grow strong. The numbers Brent stated shows that there is still an interest. I personally would not spend that kind of cash, plus fees for a car sight unseen. It looks good in pictures, but I would want to put my hands on it and drive it, and not be disappointed when I get it. Although there are some people out there with money to burn...I'm not one of them.

Last edited by stickshift; 05-05-2023 at 05:38 PM.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:05 PM   #7
Oldgearz

I celebrate (a little) when I see something like this. Maybe my son can get back some of his inheritance which I spent on my Coupe, when he sells the car.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:34 PM   #8
nkaminar

Updated

Recent prices for Model A's on Bring A Trailer:

May 6, 1929 mail truck, $22,000

May 5, 1929 phaeton, $29,000
April 16, 1930 coupe, $25,250
April 11, 1931 Fordor, $23,500
April 9, 1930 coupe, $13,367
February 23, 1931 phaeton, $40,500

I could afford to burn a dollar bill, but that is it.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-06-2023 at 05:57 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:52 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
I'm hoping that the interest in model "A"s will continue to grow strong. The numbers Brent stated shows that there is still an interest. I personally would not spend that kind of cash, plus fees for a car sight unseen. It looks good in pictures, but I would want to put my hands on it and drive it, and not be disappointed when I get it. Although there are some people out there with money to burn...I'm not one of them.
Two things;
Contrary to what some would have us to think, it has been my experience (-and I have been around the Model-A hobby since before I was born!!) that there has ALWAYS been a Seller's market for restored Model-As. Those naysayers in the middle-1960s found that in the middle-1970s, Model-As were bringing more money as a whole than they did some 10 years before and there was always a Buyer. Then those 1970s naysayers found the same happened by the 1980s. It has been that way repeating itself decade after decade. The biggest difference today vs. a decade or two ago is there are fewer & fewer newly restored Model-As to meet the demand of Buyers. Buyers today realize what a 'tired' older restoration on a Model-A looks like, and therefore those cars do not fetch the price that a fresher restoration does because they realize what is involved financially to return them to a good, serviceable condition.

As for buying sight unseen, if the car is misrepresented in any way, most Buyers will walk away from a sale. If I recall, the odometer on this Phaeton represents it as a restoration that is under 200 miles. In other words, everything should pretty much be functional. I think most people that are Buyers would admit they realize they will likely find things that will need to be repaired and most likely budget another $10k to have those things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgearz View Post
I celebrate (a little) when I see something like this. Maybe my son can get back some of his inheritance which I spent on my Coupe, when he sells the car.
Your son can look at this two ways. If he is only interested in the money, then maybe he should receive a lesser amount of money because he places a lower value on what your dreams were about. Alternately, if your son chooses to embrace the very thing that made you happy and he chooses to drive the car and respect the car as a remembrance of you, and maintain it as a cherished keepsake, then he would likely agree that any amount of money will never be enough to pay for the joy the car brings to him.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-05-2023, 08:35 PM   #10
GPierce

Brent, I always appreciate your insight into this topic and others you respond to.
I have 3 sons in their 50’s who have each approached their mother indicating they each want to inherit my Model A. This was a surprise to me as they had no history with Model A’s growing up. I am happy they want it and I am sure they will workout some kind of joint ownership.
Locally I see younger people interested in Model A’s.
Gilbert Pierce.

Last edited by GPierce; 05-06-2023 at 06:31 PM.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 06:27 AM   #11
ronn

Alex, you hit the nail on the head! My only point was how much was wrong with it, regarding the price.

Brent I always admire your opinion, but to call that car "restored" are you kidding me?
My point wasnt the price, it was what you are buying for that price. For 30k I would expect a much "nicer" car as in original......

yes I am laughing like crazy. How do you like that front seat back? A real deusey!
Old 05-06-2023, 08:32 AM   #12
rackops

I can't begrudge the buyer on the car, to be honest. When I bought my first Model A back in 2008 (yes, I am young) I bought the prettiest one I could find. I had no clue about things like "judging standards" or any of that stuff. The car looked good and had won first place and people's choice in a few local car shows, so as far as I was concerned, it was exactly what I was looking for (and I paid nearly the same price as what this one sold for!)

Even though the car wasn't going to win any fine point awards, my family had a great time with it. When I was looking at getting another old car again, it was those positive feelings that attracted me back to the Model A family. I now have the privilege of owning a VE28 Australian-made car, so my priorities are a bit different. My family still enjoys it, but I'm going through the effort of finding the correct parts to prepare for restoration with the goal of making a fine-point car.

I'm sure the buyer of this particular car is far more attracted to the "look" of the car rather than nitpicking that the engine is painted...black...

(Photo of my first Model A below...whoever restored it had obviously never heard of the "judging standards" before...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-05-06_09-22-59.jpg (83.2 KB, 72 views)
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:44 AM   #13
Chris in WNC

Looks like good quality workmanship, but totally unencumbered by the judging standards.

For $29K, I would prefer one done at least mostly "by the book", including black wheels & tires.

J.M.H.O.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:55 AM   #14
ronn

rackops, you have a nice looking car. You should be proud of it.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #15
oldspert

Instead of cutting the car all to pieces, why not look at it for what it is. It appeared to be a great looking car and possibly a very nice driver. It always wrinkles my skin when people try to show off their "smarts" about things that are wrong with a car rather than just enjoy the car for what it is. After these 1929's are almost 100 years old. My 1929 coupe has so many aftermarket things that it would never show as an original in a Model A meet, but it is mine and I love to drive it whenever I want to.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:17 AM   #16
Keith True

Some people love bling and it sells.I have a mid 28 phaeton that is done much,much more to original standards.I just told a looker 25K,or 30K if he wants to dicker.I like my cars plain,I took the cowl lights off,and the etched wind wings.The previous owner removed the WW tires for the same reason.If it wasn't so much work I'd remove the RH tail light on the car too.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:42 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Alex, you hit the nail on the head! My only point was how much was wrong with it, regarding the price.

Brent I always admire your opinion, but to call that car "restored" are you kidding me? My point wasnt the price, it was what you are buying for that price. For 30k I would expect a much "nicer" car as in original......

yes I am laughing like crazy. How do you like that front seat back? A real deusey!
Ron, IMHO you are behind the times on what collector cars and their services are costing these days.

As far as calling it "restored", ...it was the Model-A Club members themselves that have run the train off the rails on non-authentic restorations that they call 'Restored'. That Phaeton at least had a generator instead of an alternator like many club members have. I'd venture a guess that better than 50% of all MAFCA or MARC member's car has an unauthentic paint colors, and a bunch of those member's cars have incorrect upholstery fabric or stitching. Plenty club members have whitewalls & Float-a-Motor mounts, and those cars seemingly sell just as strongly, ...so I don't see what your point is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspert View Post
Instead of cutting the car all to pieces, why not look at it for what it is. It appeared to be a great looking car and possibly a very nice driver. It always wrinkles my skin when people try to show off their "smarts" about things that are wrong with a car rather than just enjoy the car for what it is. After these 1929's are almost 100 years old. My 1929 coupe has so many aftermarket things that it would never show as an original in a Model A meet, but it is mine and I love to drive it whenever I want to.
Exactly!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-06-2023, 11:30 AM   #18
ronn

differing opinions Brent and oldspert.......

we'll have to agree to disagree. Im with Keith on how I like my model As. to each his own. Brent I understand you have to walk a fine line on all of this- it is your lively hood and I respect that.
An A400 or other rarer model can be looked at for what this phaeton went for. Read the seller on the ad- he sounded like PT Barnum himself. I guess thats why some of you like buying at auctions and folks like myself, never will.
anyway, I know my opinion doesnt have to correlate with anyone elses. Just giving my opinion, which is worth about 2 cents.......
Old 05-06-2023, 01:53 PM   #19
WHN

There are a few issues. But, looks like a very good driver.

$29,000.00 is not what it was 20 years ago.

I think someone got a nice car.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:51 PM   #20
Model A Ron

I can appreciate a fine point car but I also think some need to take a step back and stop being so high and mighty when they find something that is not correct to the year and model.

As for the car it looks good and I am sure the new owner will enjoy it. A Phaeton is not so common and you do not see them like a coupe two door four door etc.

I am sure it would have went for less than 25k if it did not have the whitewalls but that's a new trend lol

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-06-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote