Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
PalAl

Default 29 Briggs 4-door new style column support

Has anyone installed the new style column support on my year and body style? After pulling the dash rail it looks completely different then the pictures posted on the forum. This car has the gas tank that is not part of the cowl and has the access panel on the firewall. It appears I would be bolting the new support to the gas tank flange! Not a good thing! Is this conversion do able on this year and body style?
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Ruth

Default Re: 29 Briggs 4-door new style column support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Has anyone installed the new style column support on my year and body style? After pulling the dash rail it looks completely different then the pictures posted on the forum. This car has the gas tank that is not part of the cowl and has the access panel on the firewall. It appears I would be bolting the new support to the gas tank flange! Not a good thing! Is this conversion do able on this year and body style?
I believe they have.There was a recent thread on that.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
barnstuf

In May 1931 the steering column support as a bolt on support, no longer attached to the gas tank, was introduce by Ford. It will retrofit all 1930-31 cars, but is not a bolt on fit for 1928-29. I am wondering if you have a 1930-31 support.

I have no access to vendors catalogs today, but I believe about 2 years ago one was offered by Snyder and likely other dealers also, for the 1928-29 cars, a bolt in place fit. The basic part number with Snyder's would be 3520 I believe.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
PalAl

Ok, maybe I worded this wrong, I know that 30/31 added support will bolt to the existing dash bolt pattern. To mount the added column support to a 28/29 you need a 1 x 7 x 3/8
steel or aluminium spacer because the bolt pattern is different. I know all this. My question is has anyone installed this extra column support on a 29 Briggs 4-door or a car with a drop down gas tank, the type of tank that has a filler panel on the firewall. The area where you would bolt the new column support to the dash main frame seems to be different on a car with the drop down tank, it has no support to mount to.
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
redmodelt

Sorry I can't any more help then this; when I got my 29 Briggs TS, it had one installed from back in the day. I no longer have it so that's all I can tell you.The holes in the windshield/ gas tank area should be the same as standard car without the hidden tank as Ford supplied the cowl for both Briggs and Murry bodies so the mounting holes in that area should be the same as say a tudor and the tank should sit at the same relative height as a standard body. The angle the steering column is the same no matter the body, it was set by the holes in the frame.