Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Engine install

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkirk View Post
Looks like you just need to use your own opinion and install it however you feel will work for you
Everybody has a better way in there eyes how to do things and that's what makes the world go round and round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't it FUNNY, some can REMOVE/INSTALL an engine by themselves, others need a CREW of SIX--(6)---LOL
Bill Loner
Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #22
gearloose

The engine and new transmission is in and happy. Thanks to all for your help. The alignment studs worked great.
gearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #23
J Wade

Interesting thread. Would it make any difference if you had a multi disc clutch. The body is not off but the fuel tank is. My concern is lining up the clutch.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #24
daveymc29

Bill Williamson, The reason I always install the engine in my own cars by myself is that to do otherwise would take too much of other peoples time. There was a time that I could install the engine alone in less than half a day. Now it takes me that long to find my tools. Since I passed 80, I have slowed some. I will help others but hesitate to get help on things I can do myself because of how slowly I work. And I may just find that I need a nap as well. Can't miss that if the ticker is out of sync. Been good the last several months since last time they electrocuted me and brought me back. All fun stuff as you know. I use jacks and lifts a lot now where I used to horse things that weighed less than 400 pounds. Now if it's 50 lbs. or more i use some device, other than my back, to get it where I want it. Much less painful I have found. I do enjoy working on the fool machines though.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #25
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Bill Williamson, The reason I always install the engine in my own cars by myself is that to do otherwise would take too much of other peoples time. There was a time that I could install the engine alone in less than half a day. Now it takes me that long to find my tools. Since I passed 80, I have slowed some. I will help others but hesitate to get help on things I can do myself because of how slowly I work. And I may just find that I need a nap as well. Can't miss that if the ticker is out of sync. Been good the last several months since last time they electrocuted me and brought me back. All fun stuff as you know. I use jacks and lifts a lot now where I used to horse things that weighed less than 400 pounds. Now if it's 50 lbs. or more i use some device, other than my back, to get it where I want it. Much less painful I have found. I do enjoy working on the fool machines though.
Dave,
I've been "electrocuted" back to "normal"??? several times, each time I think, "Is this the time they TURN my LIGHTS OUT"????
Bill Highbeams
Old 02-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #26
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearloose View Post
NO, I am NOT pulling the body off to put the engine in. I do have them both out to change the transmission to the new synchronized one from Michell and change the clutch/pressure plate plus a new ring gear. I took it out as a unit so the best way is to install it the same way? Any tips to help make it a smooth one man job?
do it in reverse order you took it apart

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #27
imacrazy

I put them in and out as a unit several times. I can install one in a 1/2 a day
and I am 82 years young.

Bill
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #28
Chuck Sea/Tac

Daveymc29: in your avatar, you don’t look a day over 3
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #29
Railcarmover
BANNED

Do as a unit,don't stress the flywheel housing any more than you have too.Not a bad idea to check it for alignment to the crankshaft especially when installing such a nice transmission
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #30
gearloose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Do as a unit,don't stress the flywheel housing any more than you have too.Not a bad idea to check it for alignment to the crankshaft especially when installing such a nice transmission
I did two piece. The engine went in sweet with alignment studs in the bell and on a jack. All checks and shims in place. From engine back to the ujoint it got the full monty . New ring gear, clutch, pressure plate (checked), pilot bearing ,throw out bearing, transmission and everything checked in specs, safety wired and torqued as well as cleaned and painted as needed. It is such a pain in the ass to R&R the engine/trans that you better do everything then. Oh, did I mention I adjusted the valves and replaced the oil pan gasket? And lots more. It's my winter project in my nice large heated garage.

What's that panhard bar in that box?
gearloose is offline   Reply With Quote