Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2022, 11:09 AM   #1
BillCNC

Question Model A in a Parade Questions

Hey All,

I'm going to be driving my 31 Tudor in my towns yearly parade, "Hesperia Day's" is a yearly celebration around here. I'm looking for tips (the do's and don'ts) in driving in parades from those that have.

I don't want to burn the clutch, nor overheat. The high for the day will be 81°F but the parade starts at 9am so the temp should be around 75°F​. I'll be in the first 1/3 of the parade and the route is about 1-mile long. Currently, I do not have cooling issues.

Any tips are very welcome

Regards
​​​​​​​Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Model A in a Parade Questions

You should have no troubles at all. Most parades move fast enough that you can cruise along in 1st or 2nd gear without slipping the clutch, and the temps will be reasonable.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
kbinde2

As Jim said, should be no problems. If this is your first, when you get near the start time, don't feel the urge to start your car early.. and then have to sit and wait until the folks in front finally start to move. As far as a clutch issue, if the movement stops in front of me, I depress the clutch fully, apply brake, then start again.. so as not to ride the clutch. Also check your fuel as you do your pre-trip the night before.. saves the last minute rush in the morning.! Enjoy the day..!! kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinde2 View Post
As Jim said, should be no problems. If this is your first, when you get near the start time, don't feel the urge to start your car early.. and then have to sit and wait until the folks in front finally start to move. As far as a clutch issue, if the movement stops in front of me, I depress the clutch fully, apply brake, then start again.. so as not to ride the clutch. Also check your fuel as you do your pre-trip the night before.. saves the last minute rush in the morning.! Enjoy the day..!! kb
Key words here: "Should be no problem." That all depends on where you are in the lineup. If you're near the front, you can keep moving. If you're stuck in the middle or rear of a long lineup, then there could be problems. People in the front in newer vehicles don't understand that slow moving, stop and go Model As can overheat and stall due to vapor lock in hot weather. Just my past experience.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
1928Mik

Should be fine. Just don't get a spot behind the horse patrol or you'll drive thru something you shouldn't have.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I have done many parades, my usual parade preparations are to clean the horn commutator and set the adjustment for tone at idle— 1 click out.
Walking speed parades in first gear I do fine speed adjusting with spark advance
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #7
BillCNC

All great tips, ...

My current idle is at 420, should I lower the idle to 350 so I can go slower in first gear? It still runs fine at that speed, or will the fan not be turning fast enough or the dippers not getting enough oil?

I guess I have a couple of days to practice. I live on a street that maybe see's five cars a day.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:55 AM   #8
DKnapp

I do not go to any parades where they allow candy to be thrown out to the kids lining the parade route. Little kids darting out in the traffic to retrieve the candy is a accident waiting to happen! Not worth the risk in my opinion.
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #9
chrs1961815

If you have a less than good radiator you will overheat. A perfectly functioning radiator will have no trouble in a parade.