Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #1
AGBill

Default Rumble Seat Lid Installation - 30 Coupe

I am about to install the rumble seat lid on my coupe. The lid was previously installed as a rumble seat lid and all the parts are original. The triangular shaped hinges are currently installed on the inside of the lid.

What is the easiest way to complete the installation? I was thinking of installing the hinge bolt and the square washers and the bracket on the lid before trying to install it? This way you would only have to install the two mounting bolts to the body support bracket.
Has anyone tried to install it this way?
If not, what is the easiest way to finish the installation?

AGBill
AGBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
MAG

Default Re: Rumble Seat Lid Installation - 30 Coupe

Here is how I have done them:
Mount the hinges to the lid.
Mount the pivot brackets to the vertical brace. Bolts loose.
Place painting sticks along each side in the rain gutters and across the front to establish spacing all around.
Set the lid in place.
From inside the cab (seat removed) install the pivot bolts, shims, spacers as required to allow tightening the pivot bolts and the pivot bracket bolts WITHOUT DISTURBING the spacing established by the paint sticks.
Luck.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #3
AGBill

MAG:
Thanks, I will give that a try...
AG Bill
Old 02-09-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
KenBolton

After mounting you will likely needed some adjustment. I was fortunate enough to have enough bodies to place one inside under the lid with one on either side of and outside the car. That way as the outside guys made adjustments the inside fellow can adjust inside when needed and snug up bolts.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:11 PM   #5
arefftx

I just tried the paint stick idea.....worked great got my previously crooked lid to lie even, thanks for the suggestion!
arefftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
AGBill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just a follow-up to my original question regarding the installation of a rumble seat lid on a 30 Coupe...

I loosely installed the lid in the opening, but my side clearances were too small for the paint stick idea. After some struggle, I finally loosely installed the hinge bolt, the two square washers, the lock washer and the nut. You are doing this by feel since you cannot see the nut end of the bolt because it is hidden by the hat section mounting bracket.

Before tightening the bolts, I got a small scissor lift jack and a block of wood and carefully jacked up the inside of the lid out of the side rain gutters and aligned everything square and level. I then tightened all the loose bolts.

The only remaining problem is the fact that the repro rubber bumpers at the top of the lid are too tall. I will replace them with some shorter ones to align the top of the lid to the body properly.

I did this installation myself, but much patience is required, especially with installing the hinge bolts!

AG Bill