Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Cracker39

Default Rust under body belt line on '31 Tudor

I just noticed a thin line of rust (1/16" to 1/8") just under the body belt line on my '31 Tudor on the body panel to the rear of the door on the curbside. It looks like the paint may have bridged over the groove when the body was repainted (---20 years?) and is now flaking off in this sharp recess. Any good way to touch this up or, at least, arrest further development? This is the belt line accent that has the straw colored striping. From 3' away it's hardly noticeable and I'm not trying to maintain a "points" car.
Cracker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Cracker39

Default Re: Rust under body belt line on '31 Tudor

With respect to "---arrest further development" is there a tough exterior clear coat plastic like product that you can buy in a small bottle like touch up paint? I'm looking for something that would encapsulate and secure the tiny paint blisters while stopping the rust.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
marc silva

When you say rust do you mean an orangeee color powdered residue like it is coming out of underneath the overlap so that if you took a wet piece of cloth and wiped close to the edge with your fingernail in the groove it would wipe off?
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
marc silva

can you post a photo of the problem area? or send me one via e-mail?
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
Cracker39

image.jpg

It's hard to get a good photo in the garage. The rust appears to be very solid where exposed - no powdery residue coming out of the seam as though the seam was "working." I believe it happened where the primer and finished coats "bridged" the joint when the car was repainted some 20 years or so back. All of the other panel joints appear to be good.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
pgerhardt

I know you don't want to get into a big job, but I would mask off the belt moulding, sand that area, treat it with OSPHO to kill the rust, and refinish. If your car is finished in acrylic lacquer then it should be easy to blend in the repair.

OH, wait a minute! My 29 tudor has the same problem. But in my case it is just one symptom of a pretty crappy paint job with lots of other faults. I am refinishing the whole car.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
rusted

If you look at a lot of cars up close you will see this very problem. Some with rough paint, to blisters. to rust starting in that area. Wax and dirt get in the joint between the belt line and body panel. Very close attention to detail must be followed to get this dirt and wax out of this seam before primer and paint or it will not stick. this is an easy fix for a good paint shop depending on what paint was used in the restoration. It looks like your paint flaked off and there is surface rust starting. Good luck with the touchup, it can be fixed.
rusted is offline   Reply With Quote