Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
trainguy

Default What lube used for overdrive

I read in the Borg-warner OD instrustions"do not use hypoid gear oil iin the transmision"So I drained the trans a put in 50W non detergent oil.The trans now wines in OD.I was at a meeting of the local EFV8 club and ask several knowleable members what they used?All of them answered 90-149 gear oil and have been using it for years wwith no problems.What is the answer Ford Barners? Thanks Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: What lube used for overdrive

Maybe 600w. 90-140 is still hypoid. Remember 600w is not actually the weight of 600. The stuff macs sells is pretty thin and compares to the thickness of hypoid. Hypoid from what I've heard is not very safe for the yellow metals that why they don't want you to use it. I have the stuff in stock at my shop if you wanted to see the difference.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

The local auto store sent GL1 gear oil to the shop where I work ---so it should be available, I caught it just before it was going into a hypoid diff --neither the auto parts store or any of the other workers where I work knew the difference --and it wasn't in the stores computer with notes about use ---they had been selling it for hypoid use

600W steam cyl oil is for worm gears and steam use
the Mobile 600 series of gear oils is for spur, bevel,etc and ok with yellow metals ---this is now synthetic and gotten more $$, look in the industrial oils area, look at use listings

Gl1 gear oils should be good for your use
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
trainguy

GL1,I check into it.Thanks Phil
Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
flathead4rd

Just a reminder to fill both sections of the trans. The OD section should have a separate plug even though the gear lube does eventually drain into it from the main case.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
charles in east texas

Whatever oil you decide to use, take the fill plug out of the transmission, then add oil very, very ,very slowly into the overdrive unit until oil runs out the transmission plug hole. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The old SAE rating for the gear lube used way back when was GL-3. It was superseded by GL-4. GL-4 is a light pressure hypoid lube but it is as close as you can get to what was used in the early 50s. GL-1 has no pressure additives and it will work for a transmission OK. Lubriplate makes a gear lube with the GL-1 rating in their SPO series of lubricants. SPO-277 is equivalent to SAE-140. The GL-5 that is the most common gear lube today has a fair amount of high pressure additives since it is a heavy hypoid oil for rear axles.

I'd look for GL-1 or GL-4 at your local distrubutor of lubricants and figure on changing the oil a little more often to keep any build up af acids or moisture from causing corrosion with the yellow metals in the overdrive unit or gearbox. The sprag unit in the back of the overdrive housing can't take high pressure additives or it can slip but it can take some. GL-3 had some in it and GL-4 is only a little more. GL-5 has a lot more.

100 grade SAE 50 aircraft motor oil in a mineral state like Aeroshell 100 with the blue label is equivalent to SAE 90 GL-1 gear lube and should work OK for winter use but might leak a bit more in the summer. It also might not dampen some gear noise as well as a heavier oil would.

I wouldn't expect an overdrive to whine much but it does have a planetary gear set in there and they are helical gears that don't normally make much noise. I hope it goes away with a heavier grade oil but if it doesn't you might have something going on in there. Either that or the rear axle has a bit too much backlash or something and the sound is being amplified forward. Generally a rear axle with problems will make it's noise under load and quiet up as soon as you let off the load and coast.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-02-2013 at 07:26 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
31chevy

I have a Borg warner in my 31 che$#%%#. The book said #40 oil or #50 in extreme heat or usage not hypoid. I found this info & will try to post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overdrive_Page_19_jpg.jpg (56.7 KB, 42 views)
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Cecil/WV

I find that the quickest way to fill it is to fill at both points until full. It is very hard to put in the rear section because the drum on the planetary gear is right over the hole. I fill the front first.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
42merc

I have had many cars equipped with Borg Warner overdrives. Never used anything but 80-90 gear lube in the OD portion of the trans. These cars have all been drivers, zero problems. Remember, this is 60 year old technology, don't over think it.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy View Post
I have a Borg warner in my 31 che$#%%#. The book said #40 oil or #50 in extreme heat or usage not hypoid. I found this info & will try to post it.
These are the instructions that lead to my question.Phil
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
These are the instructions that lead to my question.Phil
My lube info comes from Motor's manuals & a '49-'50-'51 Ford shop manual. All say SAE 80-90 wt. OD gets an extra pint.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
rotorwrench

My 49/51 Lincoln/Mercury O/H manual is kind of confusing on the subject. They list mild EP (GL-3) or multi-purpose lube (likely GL-1) and in SAE 80 winter & summer but SAE 90 may used ( they don't say for what?). In practice, I'm sure just about everything was used.

In the Overdrive Overhaul section of the manual it has a statement "Never use a hypoid axle type lubricant." It also has the SAE-80 instructions with SAE-90 for hard conditions & hot climates. This type of info confuses the mechanic and operator even more. They don't explain why not to use a hypoid type lube. Having run helicopters that use sprag freewheeling units & clutches, there were similar warnings. Tricresyle Phosphate or TCP is a high pressure additive that was sometimes used depending on the company that made the lube back in the day. Other EP additives were sulpher based that could cause deterioration of yellow metals so this confuses things even more.

The only key word that I picked up about the hypoid oils warning in the manual was the word "axle". To me that indicates GL-5 which was expressly made for hypoid type rear axle gears. Mild EP was GL-3 so you just naturally gravitate toward the lubes with either mild EP or no EP at all.

Any Lubricant is better than No Lubricant and that is a cold hard fact.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
trainguy

Iwill try Tractor Supply for GL-1 or GL-3,Thanks Phil
Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
1937pickup

Napa has GL-1 at least they did-I have that in my tranny but after reading these posts I am going to drain it and put in a modern 90 weight gear oil.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
Cecil/WV

I muse synthetic in my OD. 6 yrs and 20,000 mile and all is well. I had it out last year to seal some leaks and it showed no wear on anything.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
trainguy

Napa had 90w GL1.Thanks FB Phil
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Iv'e used Sta-Lube GL-4 Hypoid Gear Oil for over twenty years with no problems.. here is a picture of what is printed on the back of the gallon jug.. (used in my 3 speed o.d & Rear diff.)

jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I use 90 in my Overdrive and if you use heaver oil it won't shift in overdrive until it warms up. The overdrive does not like heavy oil.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
I use 90 in my Overdrive and if you use heaver oil it won't shift in overdrive until it warms up. The overdrive does not like heavy oil.
Ken, are you using 90 weight in the Columbia as well as in a BW O/D unit?