Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2023, 12:03 PM   #1
farmertom

Default wide five lug nut torque and direction

hey folks,im about to put some new modern steel belted radials on my stock wide five rims.iv'e got some old bias ply that prev owner installed in 2014. lug nuts are 1/2"20 correct? and are they all removed counter clockwise? and would torque be 90ft.lbs? what tire pressure are you using with the tubeless radials? thanks so much. Tom.
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:11 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: wide five lug nut torque and direction

Right hand threads, nothing fancy, so yes, counter clockwise to undo.
I use 75 ft.lbs on mine.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 03:55 PM   #3
farmertom

thanks Mart, this will be first time removing wheels on my '37 since i aquired 3 yrs ago. in all the literature iv'e got i thougt some where there are left hand threaded fasteners. not the lug nuts. thanks again, Tom.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #4
Bill OH

Tire pressure on radials 40lbs. I have a 38 with Diamond Back 6.00 R 16. You will enjoy radials. Are you near Decorah?
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:38 PM   #5
farmertom

BILL OH,hi i'm east of des moines. thanks for info on t.p. although i wont be using the type of tires you have. i have ordered 4 modern radial tires. i didn't want to pay that kind of money for tires like the cokers or lucas as i dont have my '37 judged. i was still wondering what pressure to run in the new radials. i know in the current firestones 6.50-16" on the car i have run 30psi. Tom.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #6
Mart

I'd just go for about 32 psi. I'm guessing the truck will be mostly unladen. Mart.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
Bill OH

Bias ply I used 30lbs, but on radials you will find 40 lbs is better. I am very familiar with the Decorah area.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:57 PM   #8
farmertom

yeah Mart, thats what i was thinking as well 32psi. my '37 is a fordor humpback with just a tool kit with tire repair kit and can of fix a flat.i wasn't sure about psi in the modern radials for they are a little wider than the current 6.50-16s. thanks, Tom.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:09 PM   #9
Mart

If Bill has more experience with radials maybe higher might be better. Only the wear pattern after a few thousand miles will tell the tale. Have a look to see if the tyres have a max pressure stated on them.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:57 PM   #10
5851a

I'm in Buchanan Co. radials are kind of touchy depending on weight of vehicle. hard to decide between original mfg and tire mfg. on modern rigs. My dealer upper the air to 35 from the recommended 30, rides like a lumber wagon in cold weather and twitchy in the wind. Corvair and Explorer come to mind. Not a recommendation since all different for types of driving. My normal drive I start around 30 on modern things and feel the tires after trips which are short runs. Maybe up a little from there, chalk marks across the tread and empty parking lots good check especially for large or oversize on trucks.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:30 PM   #11
MGG

in all the literature iv'e got i thougt some where there are left hand threaded fasteners. not the lug nuts. thanks again, Tom.[/QUOTE]

On the big trucks, (I have 3), the lug nuts on the left side are left hand thread and the ones on the right side are right hand thread. This is probably what you are remembering.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:50 AM   #12
farmertom

MGG,yep thats where i probably remember a fact such as that from my many yrs as non formally trained mech. i do still have a question as to tire psi with the new modern radials i am about to have mounted on the orig ford wide five artillory riveted wheels.i have used 30 psi in the 6.50-16s in the 3 yrs ive owned the '37 but the sidewall construction of old tires differ from the new 225/75R16 modern radials. what psi might better serve the new tire to fit and sta put on that narrower rim. i appreciate all ideas. thanks,Tom.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:39 PM   #13
Detonator

I run 32 lbs in the radials on my wide fives -- and it rides and steers really nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8917.jpg (73.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-03-2023, 04:39 PM   #14
DavidG

The big Lincolns of the period also had both right and left hand threads for the wheel lug nuts.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #15
ford38v8

farmertom, I hope you have checked for tire clearance in the wheelwell before you bought those tires. You say they are wider than the 6.50x16 tires on it now, just know that 6.00x16 was the original tire size for your car.

You should also have in your possession a balancing adapter plate, as your tire shop will not otherwise be able to balance your tires. They might have VW adapters, but those will not work for your wheels. Get an adapter from Speedway, change the lugs to fit your wheels, and have your shop balance the adapter alone before mounting to your wheel.

Your rims were not made for tubeless tires, and have no safety lip. You must do two things here: Carefully clean and blend any imperfections on the rim sealing surface, and never let your tire pressure go soft. Many if not most tubeless radials mounted on early rims are used with tubes, as you have in your wheels now. Tubes will always require talcum powder to prevent sticking to the inside of the tire, no matter if bias or radial.

Remounting your wheels properly is critical also. The bolt pattern, wide five, will stress the drum egg shape if not torqued correctly in a criss-cross fashion, to the same torque on all five. It doesn't take much to deform a drum enough to affect the braking action of that wheel, so take your time to do it right and your car will love you for it.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:30 PM   #16
38 coupe

SEMA wrote a white paper on radials when they started being really popular for vehicles originally equipped with bias ply tires. My take away is that radials are safe, but only if you keep the tires pumped up. I too run 40 psi in radials on old rims.

Link to white paper here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AoSPFOWi7R_Sib
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:33 PM   #17
farmertom

hey Detonater,i appreciate your feedback. nice coupe.curious as to what size radials you running there? the modern radials are some what hard to find. i found coopers in 225/75R/16 trying to stay really close to height and width of the 6.50/16"bias plys that are on my '37 now. Tom.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:30 PM   #18
farmertom

BILL OH, yeah Decorah is beautiful. my son and i have been there on are harleys some yrs ago. wehad done alot of riding together in iowa and wisconsin befor he started a family and i started to decline physically for riding safely. gave up riding 3 yrs ago for the '37 ford. the maintenence on ford isnt getting any easier either. what doesnt hurt is numb.ya know.ha ha . Tom.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #19
farmertom

Detonater, was wondering if you run tubes in the radials.are those orig riveted artillory wheels. Tom.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:35 PM   #20
Brian

In my 35, I run 175/75R 16 radials on the front rims, 205R 16 on the back, with 16" tractor tubes fitted, along with balance beads. The tractor tubes are heavy duty, and have the correct large dia valve stems to fit early Ford rims. I run 36 PSI. This set up has proven to be absolutely trouble free and delivers great ride.