Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
RyanAK

Default An Introduction and a First Early Ford

Hey, Gang. Glad to finally have a reason to make my way over to the Barn. I've been fooling with older vehicles for a long while, and gave up my last late model nearly 4 years ago now. I currently daily drive a '78 Suburban and a '63 Olds Cutlass. But now we're starting in on something a bit different, and I think the community here will be of invaluable help.

I'm 43, married to a wonderful woman, have young children, and a demanding career. We make home in rural Central Pennsylvania. My little boy, Spencer, is seven, and on the Spectrum. Among his passions, he's hot for old cars. Great!

Well, a couple years back, he discovered through some magazines and the wonder of YouTube that a car could be built essentially from scratch. So after years of asking, Dad finally formulated a plan. A couple weeks back, I brought home a running Model A chassis in the dark of the night...

The next day, Spencer and six-year-old Nora discovered our project, and our journey has begun.

The plan is for a basic, prewar supe job. Stripped down, mildly hopped up banger, and as correct as we can make it. Spence has a very mechanical mind, and what better to show those principals than starting with an A chassis? I'll fill everyone in on just what we're starting with in the next few posts, but this feels very achievable. There's lots I don't know yet, so hopefully we'll get a big assist from the Barn.

Happy to be here, folks.

Ryan
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
RyanAK

Default Re: An Introduction and a First Early Ford

We have:

A running A 4 cyl that sounds strong, a transmission that shifts. 19" wheels with rotten rubber that at least hold air. Closed car cowl. Steering and springs. Frame is straight and pretty nice. Full wishbones.

A previous owner started down the path of juice brakes and tube shocks, so we don't have any of the bits for mechanicals and no shocks.

'46-'48 juice brakes, not plumbed and no master.

A nice closed car cowl that has a firewall being pieced back in. But that's already been 'traded' off.

Nice gauge cluster.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
RyanAK

And... it runs.

https://youtube.com/shorts/STf9_XZrwqY?feature=share
Old 10-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
65f100

awsome - have fun
65f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
katy

Nice wiring job!
Old 10-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #6
Terry, NJ

Hey Ryan! Welcome to the Barn! You've come to the right place! This is probably the greatest concentration of mod A knowledge, skills, and experience anywhere in the world. I Didn't see if you mentioned the year but from the radiator and the cowl, I'd say it was a 1928 or 29. But it looks like it has 30-31 wheels (They're better anyhow) It looks like someone started a restoration but got tired and quit. Best Of Luck with it!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
RyanAK

Wiring - That’s already gone and being replaced with a stock harness. Some PO’s work.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:05 AM   #8
RyanAK

Thanks, Terry. I spend time over on the HAMB but this place seems to have all the early Ford knowledge I really need. This car will be a ‘28/‘29 Phaeton, and there’s so many little things that are specific to that body that I’m more likely to get here. And because I’d like to stay prewar with the build, the restoration folks will be a huge help.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
nkaminar

Looks like a great start. I love Spencer's expression behind the steering wheel.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
rfitzpatrick

The photo's of the expression on the children: Priceless
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #11
RyanAK

Yeah... we're still in the "tear it down and collect parts" phase, but we're having a great time. When we can. I'm currently working close to 90 hours a week. That'll curtail to 60 in November, but still... Hope to have a driver by April or so.

Should also probably point out that there isn't a garage involved in this. We're strictly shade tree here in Union County.

But I've become so enamored with the Model A mechanicals that I'm likely going to sell the '63 Olds to finance an A Tudor as a daily driver. Between the '78 Suburban and a '28/'29 Tudor (plus Momma's 'reasonable' late model...) I think we'll be well served.

Deep end, eh?
Old 10-09-2022, 10:06 PM   #12
Terry, NJ

Upon closer examination it seems you may have a 28-29 chassis with many 30-31 parts on it, or it's a 30-31 chassis with a 28-29 cowl and radiator , It's got a 30-31 Transmission top and steering box. The Frame number is under the left side of the chassis. I would suggest making rubbings of it (more than one) and save them with the rest of your paperwork. Have Fun!!
Terry
Old 10-10-2022, 07:22 AM   #13
Stretch Cab

When I was a kid we always had a shed with several Model A's and other models that I traveled many an imagination mile in. Then started working some on them and was bitten with the old car bug from an early age. Give your kids as much freedom as you can with the car and enjoy!
Old 10-11-2022, 06:59 AM   #14
RyanAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Upon closer examination it seems you may have a 28-29 chassis with many 30-31 parts on it, or it's a 30-31 chassis with a 28-29 cowl and radiator , It's got a 30-31 Transmission top and steering box. The Frame number is under the left side of the chassis. I would suggest making rubbings of it (more than one) and save them with the rest of your paperwork. Have Fun!!
Terry
Yeah, definitely a hodgepodge. I'm ok with that. The closed car cowl that's on there now won't be staying as the Phaeton body that I've tracked down is complete with cowl and firewall. Where exactly is the frame number??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
When I was a kid we always had a shed with several Model A's and other models that I traveled many an imagination mile in. Then started working some on them and was bitten with the old car bug from an early age. Give your kids as much freedom as you can with the car and enjoy!
Kids are going to be completely involved, up to and including brush painting the car (which I'll follow along and "fix" when they aren't looking ...)
Old 10-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #15
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAK View Post
Yeah, definitely a hodgepodge. I'm ok with that. The closed car cowl that's on there now won't be staying as the Phaeton body that I've tracked down is complete with cowl and firewall. Where exactly is the frame numbers
The numbers are just under the cowl about next to where your left foot would rest when you're driving. The number is preceded by an A and a star and the stamping is poor. It should read between 1 and 4.8 million. Pa requires a rubbing in certain cases and it's not a bad thing to have when the time comes to sell. Some states don't even require a title on old cars and some states are a real pain in the butt about it. Gotta dot every I and cross every T! Illinois For one. My advice is to get the rubbings while they're easy and put them where you can retrieve them. Yes you'll have to take the cowl off. But it's not bad now! Attach the body and all the wiring, etc and it gets a lot harder.
Terry
Old 10-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #16
RyanAK

Thanks, Terry. The cowl is coming off tomorrow or Sunday, so I'll be able to get the rubbing then. Also, Spence and I are putting the rebuilt water pump on and getting back to the wiring. Then a trip to a special barn. Spence is going to get to see the Gabby Garrison T. (If you know... you know.)

Phaeton body hopefully sometime in November. That will likely sit while I work through brakes, springs, and shocks (OH MY HOLY COW GOODNESS!!! Shock prices!!!) through the winter.

Have I mentioned that I'm working 70-85 hours a week and we don't have a garage?
Old 10-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #17
Terry, NJ

Yeah Ryan, you mentioned it! Back to the car. Shocks are brutal! But there's things you can do. But here's the worst part, Very few are rebuildable. Most of us have been down that road and it's very frustrating. The best answer is to run friction shocks, they're out there. You have to look around, but they're there some where. Next is (foreign) English, shocks. MG I think. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, But I don't believe you can run later Ford shocks on a model A. Solution #4 is Pay a guy named Bill Stipe $1000 for four shocks from his next run and wait, and wait, and wait, knowing that you will be getting then finest shocks money can buy. Yes Ryan, Ford, model A shocks are troublesome. Theres a couple of other answers too, like the guy on Texas who makes a conversion to tube shocks. Manypeople say this is the best. Good Luck!
Terry
Old 10-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #18
RyanAK

I have a set of Delco Lovejoy shocks... looks like one pair MAY work as fronts. More research needed... The pair that looks like winners for the front are marked R-1 and R-3. Hmmm...
Old 10-15-2022, 02:25 PM   #19
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAK View Post
I have a set of Delco Lovejoy shocks... looks like one pair MAY work as fronts. More research needed... The pair that looks like winners for the front are marked R-1 and R-3. Hmmm...
That's another thing, Getting the sides right! I think ? this is correct. Left front can also go Right rear. And Right front goes to left rear. It sound simple but it can be confusing at times.
Next matter to chew open is the shock arms. Again, I can't be sure which is correct, longer ones in rear or front. If you ever buy any shocks with arms on them, They're usually correct to the position that they were on in the last car they were. I believe it's short arms to the front and longer arms to the rear. But don't quote me on this. Arms are usually about $7/8 apiece at swap meets.

Next thing, Don't buy any shocks that are loose and rattle, They can't be rebuilt. If you do try to rebuild a set, and it doesn't work out, Model A s run pretty good with no shocks, Not Great! Buy pretty good. Because of the high replacement costs. there are many A s out there running with no shocks, but I don't recommend it as a long time solution.
Terry
Old 10-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #20
RyanAK

Rears are going to need to wait for a bit…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1D285FA-8C0F-43F1-8E3A-EA73B492A070.jpg (61.3 KB, 40 views)