Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #1
Nick in Fayetteville

Default Modern Bendix

What is the correct procedure to replace the original Model A bendix with the new modern bendix. Thank you.
Nick in Fayetteville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: Modern Bendix

The parts vendors that sell this item can probably provide instructions on how to install it. Also, have you checked YouTube?
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:05 AM   #3
Ruth

Instructions from Snyder's on-line catalog; https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/c.../A-11350-M.pdf
Old 05-03-2022, 03:37 AM   #4
Hotrodfil

I've discovered the procedure is to buy at least two as they appear to be a bit fragile. Once you fit the second one, take a moment to rebuild an original in time for the next failure...
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #5
nkaminar

A spring loaded collar covers the set screw that is used to attach the drive. The spring is strong and so the collar is hard to move. I use my vice to move it back and then unscrew the set screw a little to keep the collar moved back. Then install the drive on the shaft so that the set screw will insert into the hole in the shaft were the bolt for the spring went. Don't forget the key. Screw the set screw down tight using the screw driver to keep the collar from moving. The collar will spring into position to keep the set screw from coming out.

The starter with the modern Bendix drive is a little harder to install. It may be necessary to remove the coolant inlet, after draining the radiator, and removing the dip stick. Try installing it first without removing the inlet.

Turn the starter over by hand before installing the new drive to check to see if the shaft is bent.

I have not found the modern drive to be fragile. Maybe the ones in the UK are different.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-03-2022 at 07:14 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
Herb Concord Ca

The ones that were made in India were junk, these were common about 10 years ago.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #7
31Tudor

I personally am not a fan of the replacement bendix. I would never install one on any of my cars. i recently worked on a friends car that had one, and nkaminar is right, I had to take the water inlet off just to get the starter back in. Pretty simple otherwise. I have pretty good luck with the originals, even starting the 12 volt speedster.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
The ones that were made in India were junk, these were common about 10 years ago.
True but most vendors sell the USA made one now.I have never had a problem with one, no broken bolts in the bottom of the flywheel housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
I personally am not a fan of the replacement bendix. I would never install one on any of my cars. I recently worked on a friends car that had one, and nkaminar is right, I had to take the water inlet off just to get the starter back in. Pretty simple otherwise. I have pretty good luck with the originals, even starting the 12 volt speedster.
Ooowee! two bolts to take the water inlet off compared to fishing a broken bolt out of the flywheel housing. How many threads are on Ford Barn about that?

Just messin' with ya 31Tudor. I agree, a little harder to install but I still prefer the modern drive.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 05-03-2022 at 02:07 PM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #9
Chuck Sea/Tac

The modern drive breaks as well. It just doesn’t drop the bolt head down in the housing. I take my starter out every few thousand miles and check if the bolts are starting to get loose. I have a 1/4” flex cable with a small earth magnet on the end. It will fish the broken bolt out a one or two tries through the starter hole. It’s also pretty easy to start your car with a hand crank if you have to.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote