Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
Rick Leavitt

Default Water pump change out

I'm getting ready to change out my water pumps on my 41. Any secrets or tips I should know of before I start due to the motor mounts being on the pumps?

Thanks!!!!
Rick Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Water pump change out

Be sure to remove the bottom bolt that is inside the hose outlet.
Reinstall bolts using Anti-seize compound.
Place a 2x4 under the oil pan to support the engine and take weight off the pumps when you jack it up. Lift engine just enough to take engine weight off the pumps.
I use Permatex non-hardening gasket sealer when installing new pumps. Other folks may use soemthing else including just grease.
Don't overtighten any of the bolts when reinstalling,.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
Zeke3

I recommend using 6 pt. socket, especially for the hidden bolt in the water inlet. Otherwise, 19Fordy has it covered pretty well.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
Rick Leavitt

You guys are awesome. Thank you!!!!
Old 02-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
Veeder

As for the bolt inside of the inlet port area f the pump I used stainless steel and anti serve. right or wrong that’s what. I did mine a number of years ago the bolts almost killed me getting the old ones out
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
ford38v8

All of the above, but before you start, inspect the pump pulley for damage during assembly. No good to put on a pump only to discover too late that the pulley is crapola. Good time to flush out the block. Position the car on a slope and keep fresh running water to prevent rust stains on the driveway.
Grease only on the gaskets just to hold them in place during installation. No sealant required, and you don't want to make work for yourself the next time around scraping off old sealant. Use two temporary studs to locate and line up the pump for the other bolts, then replace those studs with bolts.
On cars having short difficult lower hoses, use the jack under the engine to raise/lower, easing the hose on as you go. Use silicone grease on the hoses, and don't forget the clamps, turn and flip them to the most accessible position for tightening.
The motor mount rubbers should be tight, but not bulging tight. Silicone on those rubbers will help protect them from engine heat and oil damage. Don't forget the cotter pins. Replace the fan belt if needed, and adjust to a 1" deflection.
Warm up the engine to soften the hoses, at which time you can adjust the clamps just a bit tighter.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:17 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Leavitt View Post
I'm getting ready to change out my water pumps on my 41. Any secrets or tips I should know of before I start due to the motor mounts being on the pumps?

Thanks!!!!
And send your pumps to SKIP for the rebuild, rather than buy new pumps. Skip's pump rebuilds are better than what you can buy new! DD

SKIP's Contaact Info:

[email protected]

George (Skip) Haney
29436 Taralane Drive
Punta Gorda, FL. 33982
941-637-6698
941-505-9085

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 02-06-2022 at 05:22 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:56 PM   #8
MGG

For the inside hidden bolt, I use a 14 mm metric 6-point socket. It fits a little bit more snugly and lessens the chance of rounding off the corners.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
19Fordy

V8 makes a good point about Skip's pumps. They come with the new and improved spiral impellor , if desired. Also, I mix a drop or two of antiseize with the Permatex gasket sealer before applying.

Plus, Skips pumps come with gaskets. I also use two clamps on each end of my lower hoses and "dimple" the surface of the water oulets with a center punch for a better "bite" on the hoses. The 1953 Ford V8 Manual recommends 23-28 FT. LBS. torque for the water pump bolts. That's easily duplicated if you just tighten by hand with a socket as it's not super tight. I think I used a bronze bolt. Just look up the torque strength of the bolt you are using, if needed. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN .
Here's a handy chart
https://www.fastenal.com/content/fed...s%20Torque.pdf Divide Inch Pounds by 12 to get Foot Lbs.

My lower hoses are made from copper tubing (chrome plated) with a piece of straight rubber industrial grade hose between the pump and my copper tube metal hoses. Been that way for 20 years. Engine is an 8BA in a 40 Ford.

I realize you are using stock rubber lower hoses but, thought the extra info. might be helful as you could also "dimple" your pump outlets and make your own metal hoses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3549b.jpg (51.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3458b.jpg (57.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 3263716-79d42a0a82a6ee72359b4e218bd53e87.jpg (5.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 3263717-efbebbf13346bfa3aec318586138b575.jpg (5.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 3263713-f8600729b6dd952fd04ff285cc266055 b.jpg (22.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3555b.jpg (53.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-07-2022 at 12:30 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
36coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
And send your pumps to SKIP for the rebuild, rather than buy new pumps. Skip's pump rebuilds are better than what you can buy new! DD

SKIP's Contaact Info:

[email protected]

George (Skip) Haney
29436 Taralane Drive
Punta Gorda, FL. 33982
941-637-6698
941-505-9085

I tried calling Skips work number and I get invalid number. I tried his home number and it rang through to an answering machine.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #11
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
I recommend using 6 pt. socket, especially for the hidden bolt in the water inlet. Otherwise, 19Fordy has it covered pretty well.

The above info about a 6 point socket is the most important part of the whole water pump replacement process.
Most people overlook the bolt inside of the hose attachment port. As a general rule the head of the bolt is badly de-graded from exposure to the cooling fluid.
An added trick I use on difficult bolts/screws is a heat gun on the head and/or nut.. A very clever body/fender mechanic taught me this trick about forty years ago.
I did not note any mention about running a wire up the gravity feed oil hole in the block to make sure it is clear. Looking at the back side of the water pump, the oil hole very evident.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

One note about jacking the oil pan with a 2X4. Use a piece of 2X4 that is long enough to go across the width of the pan and not a short piece that rest only in the middle. Jack it up at the furthest most front part of the pan and not at the lower (larger) section where the sump is.

The furthest most front part of the pan is stronger than the large sump area. Plus, any denting of the pan in the sump area will impact the pickup lurking just underneath.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #13
Rick Leavitt

Thank you for all the info. Excellent stuff.