Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
CJStefan

Default "Single plenum" 8ba intake

So I was watching Mad Fabricators the other day. Bob was working with the new big 97s which have the carb barrels kind of notched in between the barrels. He opened up the intake in between the two barrel openings to match the carbs. He said in turn it would allow the cylinders that needed the fuel more to be able to get it as opposed to being restricted. That almost turns it into a single plenum opening. Anybody ever try this on a factory 8ba manifold? Seems like it should work but I'm not super familiar with how the 8ba works. I may pick up a spare manifold and get down to business

Last edited by CJStefan; 01-23-2022 at 09:25 AM.
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
robib

Default Re: "Single plenum" 8ba intake

In 34, Ford went with their newly designed over and under (dual plane) manifold and a Stromberg two barrel. This is was done to stop starving the end cylinders of fuel, by having each throat of the two barrel carb "only" supply fuel to one bank of cylinders.

Was Mad Fab working with a multi-carb manifold? If he was, then the notching may make sense, but if working with a single carb manifold, then that would be defeating what Ford was trying to accomplish.
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #3
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robib View Post
In 34, Ford went with their newly designed over and under (dual plane) manifold and a Stromberg two barrel. This is was done to stop starving the end cylinders of fuel, by having each throat of the two barrel carb "only" supply fuel to one bank of cylinders.

Was Mad Fab working with a multi-carb manifold? If he was, then the notching may make sense, but if working with a single carb manifold, then that would be defeating what Ford was trying to accomplish.
Always thought that each throat supplied two cylinders on one side and two on opposite bank?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #4
CJStefan

It was a multi carb manifold, yeah. So did Fords new design actually make it better or was it a case of it's done let's just leave it alone?
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:26 PM   #5
hotrodart

In order to know the actual effects of such mods you need an oxygen sensor on each exhaust port to monitor A/F ratios through the RPM range of the engine. Otherwise it's a pure guess.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #6
nickthebandit

If I am not mistaken the notches in the "barrels" were to clear the nozzles in the EE-1 base for the improved idle circuit. Ask Max Musgrove about this.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
robib

I agree with 34PKUP, that dual plan manifolds supply fuel to both banks. However, in doing research on the flathead manifold, all I could find was that the manifold was called an "over and under" and each throat only supplied one bank of cylinders. That is what my research found and it does make sense. Of course, the info I found could be wrong.
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
Ken Henry

Each plenum feeds half the cylinders but it is not left bank vs right bank. A single plane manifold pushes the torque peak up in rpm a little, is my understanding.
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:10 PM   #9
tubman

The firing order for a Ford flathead is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2. If you look a regular flathead manifold over, you will see that one side feeds cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7, while the other side feeds cylinders 5, 8, 3, and 2. This just makes common sense. If you take into consideration the unique cylinder numbering convention for flathead Fords, you will see that the cylinders fire on alternate sides of the engine and alternate sides of the manifold.

Clever, those Ford engineers.

Last edited by tubman; 01-23-2022 at 07:57 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #10
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStefan View Post
So I was watching Mad Fabricators the other day. Bob was working with the new big 97s which have the carb barrels kind of notched in between the barrels. He opened up the intake in between the two barrel openings to match the carbs. He said in turn it would allow the cylinders that needed the fuel more to be able to get it as opposed to being restricted. That almost turns it into a single plenum opening. Anybody ever try this on a factory 8ba manifold? Seems like it should work but I'm not super familiar with how the 8ba works. I may pick up a spare manifold and get down to business
Before getting carried away with hacking up the manifold, remember that the 1932 V8 was 65 HP and had a single plane manifold. With the dual plane manifold in 1934, HP went to 85. Backyard engineering sometimes (oftentimes?) ends up with a worse result.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:20 PM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Flow pattern of an 8BA manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8BA.jpg (75.2 KB, 157 views)
Old 01-24-2022, 05:31 AM   #12
JWL
Member Emeritus

Cutting the divided section below the carb is terrible for normal street driving just as adding an open spacer is.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:48 AM   #13
tubman

I rebuild both 94's and Rochester 2G's. I like to test them on my test engine. Instead of changing manifolds, I use a 3-bolt to 4-bolt adapter from Speedway. To get it to run right, I added a divider to the adapter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2BBLadapter.jpg (7.9 KB, 121 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:17 PM   #14
RKS.PA

Denny, I'm a fan of Rochester 2G's, too, but have never tried one on a flathead. How do they perform on your test engine with your divided adapter vs. the 94's?
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #15
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Denny, I'm a fan of Rochester 2G's, too, but have never tried one on a flathead. How do they perform on your test engine with your divided adapter vs. the 94's?

Not answering for Denny here, as he is plenty qualified & capable on his own, but he runs a 2G on his '51 full time, and has always spoken positively about it's performance. I can speak first-hand to the fact that 2Gs are one of the simplest, yet most reliable 2 bbls out there, and quite a few flatheads are running them these days. In fact, the word must be out, 'cuz they're getting a little hard to find, especially affordably! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote