Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #41
31blackcoupe

Default Re: F150 top loader to 59ab adapter anyone?

Kahuna, sent you a PM

Last edited by 31blackcoupe; 04-27-2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: left out information
31blackcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #42
31blackcoupe

Hello,
Thanks for posting this reply. I am having some serious issues making this swap. The trans I have was adapted to fit a Model A. The input shaft and bearing retainer have been lengthened approx. 2" to accommodate the "A" bell housing. The bearing retainer has also be made smaller on the O.D. where it attaches to the trans case and sleeved larger for the same reason. I am having real problems finding the correct parts to return this trans to stock which would (hopefully) allow me to us an adapter like the on you have. Is this trans (Ford F-150 top loader "overdrive") the Tremec T-170 RTS? Am I going about this the right way-returning it to stock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post
Transmission adaptor plate for for Ford T170 FT 3 speed + overdrive transmissions. These adaptor plates are made for Flathead V8 and Model A conversions so you can retain your toque tube set up. You will need to shorten the toque tube and drive shaft about 1- 1/2 inches. These will be available shortly from Jerry Hopkins in Corsicana Texas. Jerry has been appointed as the distributor for all Mac's Speed products plus the products i also make, you will see some of them in my albums . His phone # is 903 875 9557 email [email protected] or message me for more photo's etc
Hope fully Jerry will have samples to display at the Pate swap meet at the end of April in Fort Worth.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #43
31blackcoupe

Well my friend, it ain't working. You've been very helpful in the past so I thought I'd reach out again. Here's the problem(s):
The trans I have was adapted to fit a '31 A. The input shaft and bearing retainer were lengthened approx. 2" to fit the "A" bell housing. Additionally the bearing retainer was made smaller where it attaches to the trans (to fit the A bell) and sleeved larger to fit the V8 throwout bearing carrier. I have taken the "return to stock" route in an attempt to make this fit my '48 59ab V8. I am not finding the right parts and I'm not sure if I'm on the right path. At this point I'm not even sure what the trans model # is. Tremec T-170 RTS Ford 4 speed top loader "overdrive"? I have an adapter from Gene Sanders in Ohio that matches the bolt pattern fine, but it's not deep enough because of the mod's made for the "A" adaptation. Anything you can help with would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The hogshead is what you need for a 59a block, on the 8ba block you would need the addition bell adapter.

The hogshead can be used to adapt about anything, just depends if you are wanting to go to the effort.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #44
31blackcoupe

Hello,
Maybe you can help me. What I'm doing is not working. My top loader Tremec RTS was adapted to fit a '31 Model A when I bought it. it was in the car. now i'm trying to use it on my '48 flathead v8. I have an adapter that matches up the bolt patterns without a problem. the problem is the input shaft and bearing retainer are too long. I assume this was because the "A" bell housing was deeper. I am also assuming I must return this trans to stock to make it work. Do you agree? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by old victoria View Post
the t5 or f150 rts will not just bolt up. we have been doing these conversions for over 25 years, modelaonly.net
Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #45
Kahuna

Art
I think you need to return the trans to stock configuation before you go too much further. I have no idea how that input shaft was lengthened.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #46
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Art
I think you need to return the trans to stock configuation before you go too much further. I have no idea how that input shaft was lengthened.
Jim
I agree with Jim, don't see how you are going to get anywhere with an odd ball one off transmission. I would install an original input shaft and retainer. Some transmissions and rear axles are difficult to ID without the tags. Have you considered a replacement transmission?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #47
Bob C

When this trans was in the Model A was it mounted to an A or AA bell housing?
Can you post a picture of the bell housing it was mounted to?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #48
Kahuna

As i mentioned, get it back to stock as you can. If the input shaft was lengthened, and the retainer was reduced in diameter to accommodate the "old bell housing", seems like there is a good possibility of alignment issues that you sure don't want.
Not being familiar with that exact transmission, I think I would call someone who is, to obtain the original parts. I would first call a guy at Toploader Heaven. He has a site and is very helpful ( I bought a rebuild kit from him for use on my 4 speed). Maybe all you need is the input shaft and the bearing retainer.
Problem with some of this is those parts can be expensive, when purchased individually.
Got your PM, call anytime
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #49
31blackcoupe

Thank you gentlemen,
I agree that returning it back to stock is the way to go. The issue seems to be the parts. There are numerous input shafts and bearing retainers for this T-170 out there. Determining which exact parts I need is very confusing. From what I can gather, these are the correct parts:
Input shaft-WT170-16P 22 teeth, 8 7/8OA Ford Truck
Bearing retainer-WT170-6C 78-87 Ford Truck
If you are able to verify these parts it would be extremely helpful. Buying and returning is a little tedious to say the least. Also, finding sources is fun as well.
Thanks again for your help,
Jim I got your PM-thank you!
and the beat goes on...
Art
Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #50
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I would talk to someone familiar with what you are attempting to do before buying parts. The place you purchased your adapter plate from might be a good source. Any information on which transmission the adapter is for? Another approach is to bolt up your bellhousing and adapter and measure the distance from the face of the pilot bearing/bushing and the outside surface of the adapter plate. The input shaft has to be this length (minus some clearance between the shoulder on the shaft and the pilot bearing) plus the length of the shaft that extends through the pilot bearing/bushing. The measurement for the retainer is it has to clear the pressure plate, but long enough to support the throwout bearing.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #51
Chisel

I doubt that your input shaft is a one off too long shaft. There is a lot of research and machining that has to be done to do this swap right. You have to have the right hogshead, the input shaft and bearing retainer needs to be shortened. There is machining that needs done to the hogshead and transmission to marry then together. That's just a few of the problems. The engine compartment in a Model A is very small and to get everything to fit without torching anything and having the shifter very close to the original position you must have the right parts and a lot of machining. Most of the adapter bell housings being made are for the original input shaft length which moves the shifter back toward the seat. Considering all Dave Delmue price is very reasonable. If you use the adapters on the market you will probably have to shorten the drive shaft again.

Evil Lurks...for those that don't carry a side arm!!!

Last edited by Chisel; 04-28-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #52
31blackcoupe

thank you JSeery, once again you're of great help. Yes, i'm talking with Kahuna on this, he's got this swap in his car.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #53
31blackcoupe

thank you Chisel. Believe it or not, all that machine work has been done! the input shaft was lengthened almost 2" I saw the weld. The bearing carrier was machined smaller as well to fit the "A" bell. A plate was added to the rear to accommodate the clam for the torque tube. The trans was drilled and tapped to allow bolting it from the inside to the "A" bell. I was a bit baffled at first, too. Anyway, Dave is help[ing as well as Kahuna Jim. The beat goes on...
Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #54
bgarrett

What does it take to put the F150, 84-87 3 speed w/overdrive against a 1952 EAB?
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #55
flatjack9

A steel 8BA bellhousing. You will need to enlarge the opening to fit the bearing retainer and fab a mount for the top left bolt. Hopefully you have the transmission with the dual mounting pattern. The tall narrow one is the one you want to use because three of the 4 bolts are a direct fit.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 PM   #56
bgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
A steel 8BA bellhousing. You will need to enlarge the opening to fit the bearing retainer and fab a mount for the top left bolt. Hopefully you have the transmission with the dual mounting pattern. The tall narrow one is the one you want to use because three of the 4 bolts are a direct fit.
Thank you! I went out and looked my parts. It looks like it will be easy to turn down the transmissions front bearing retainer to fit the hole in the steel bellhousing. Some of my transmissions have two holes at each corner. Will I need to drill out the threaded holes on the bellhousing then thread the holes in the transmission case? Weld on an ear for the 4th hole? Do you know which clutch disc to use? Is the transmission input shaft the right length? Is there anything else I need to know? I appreciate your information.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #57
flatjack9

Use the narrow set of holes and they should all line up with the holes in the bellhousing except the top left. As I remember, I was able to drill a hole and weld a nut inside the bellhousing for the top left bolt. The input shaft is the right length and the pilot is the right diameter. I don't remember what clutch disc I used. It's been 20 years since I did this. I think it was from an early Mustang. It sure makes for a nice driver.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #58
bgarrett

Yes I have one of these transmissions in my avatar. Great transmission! Thank you for the information!