Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
wex65

Default 55 t-bird power steering question

I am hoping someone can point me int he right direction in relation a an issue on a newly acquired 55 Thunderbird. The wife upgraded from a 59 MGA to it this past month.

I notice a faint spraying of fluid on the underside of the hood close to the power steering reservoir area after she has driven the car and suspect it is the breather hole in the filler cap.

Doing some Google searches i found a thread where someone else had an identical issue and he pinpointed the problem as being the installation of the wrong power steering filter, a smaller than required one.

I emptied the reservoir and removed the filter. It is the correct one, just over 3 inches in diameter.

See the photos though. Looking at the MACS catalog and a service manual it would appear there is a missing piece. The lower filter holder.

All we had in there was, in order from the top down, the spring, spring retainer that sits on top of the filter, and the filter itself.

There was also an odd small clip/clasp which was in the bottom of the reservoir. My guess is that somehow the PO tried to use it to retain the filter?

Anyway, the filter holder that fits beneath the filter was totally missing.

We have one on order but can anyone help in advising as to whether this piece being missing might give us the issue we have?

Many thanks,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (52.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (37.2 KB, 11 views)
wex65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
smtichy

Default Re: 55 t-bird power steering question

Hi Wex, while I can't answer your specific question about the overspray, I figured I can at least send a link to an exploded view of the PS canister that is a little better than the one in the shop manual.

http://fordpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=153887

As for the clip, the screw that holds the canister and filter in place should run through the clip. Yours looks like the tabs are bent out of shape (one high, the other low).

'55 Sunliner - 292 V8, 3 speed man. w/ OD
ČKMAA - Český klub majitelů amerických automobilů
smtichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
wex65

Thanks a million, appreciated.

That is the first diagram that I have seen that shows the clip.

Good to see the lower filter retainer is still shown so I do need to add that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtichy View Post
Hi Wex, while I can't answer your specific question about the overspray, I figured I can at least send a link to an exploded view of the PS canister that is a little better than the one in the shop manual.

http://fordpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=153887

As for the clip, the screw that holds the canister and filter in place should run through the clip. Yours looks like the tabs are bent out of shape (one high, the other low).
wex65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
zoegrant

Wex65.......had the same problem with mine....turned out to be fixed with a new gasket under the fill cap.Others have that problem due to the power steering fluid container being "tilted "and don't overfill the fluid. It does not have to be over the filter, 1/4 below top of filter seems to work well. .....J in CT
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote