Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
miniceptor86

Default Front end lift.

Is there a way to give my ‘39 Tudor’s front end a little altitude. Like about 2” of lift. Spacers between the spring leaves? Addition of coil over shocks? All the spring sets I see are standard or drops of 1 1/2 or 2”. I just like to get it level or a little nose high. The current spring set has a little recurve on the main leaf at the shackles.

Thanks,
Jim
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Front end lift.

If you mess with the spring, you will modify the ride. Most likely harsher.
A 2 inch aluminum block between the spring and crossmember will give you the lift. You may need longer U-bolts.
Counterbore the bottom of the block for the center bolt and drill and tap for a square head screw in the top to fit in the cross member.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
miniceptor86

OK, I was wondering about that approach but was thinking that pushing the spring pack out of the crossmember that far might be detrimental to spring retention in the crossmember.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

I'd be reluctant to use a 2" spacer in that crossmember. MAYBE a 1"....on a 'good' day. You really need to find yourself a NOS spring. Maybe Kube can chime-in here on that. NOS springs sure did raise his beautiful '36 roadster substantially. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
Pete

Any spacer is no different than bolting the spring to a flat plate as in suicide front perch.
The bolts hold the spring in place, The radius rods/wishbone keeps the spring from twisting.

For what it is worth, the SCTA at Bonneville never even commented on my 2 inch spacer bolted to a flat plate.

As a last resort you could have the spring re-heat treated and re-arched. That probably won't gain you 2 inches though.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
Tinker

Well this is a new one. How to lift my ford. A new spring will give you some lift. Not sure 2". Good company in my book. https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

My 36 had these plastics inserts between every leaf spring on the front spring to give it some "slide". That gave it about a 2" lift. Took it apart and removed all the liners.

Certainly wouldn't put a block in the cross member on a transverse spring. Keep the spring in the member pocket. The wishbone is just held in place by 2 bolts. Just my thoughts and preference.

Last edited by Tinker; 04-09-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:17 AM   #7
miniceptor86

Tinker, it’s just that I’m somewhat a contrarian. Everywhere are cars that have been slammed, bammed and rammed to the pavement. Level or a little nose high for me.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #8
miniceptor86

Thanks for the suggestions. Just finished resealing the pan (fingers crossed), engines back in and now fighting the header on the left so it will be a future mod.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
GB SISSON

I have added leafs to all my ford trucks. I start with the small ones and add an in between length as I go up. These 'in between' size leafs are made from extra springs I have a pile of. I just keep the center bolt hole and chop them off on each side. I seek out those with a good arc. Then it's a nice new center bolt and usually longer shackles. I never understood all this lowering. All my fords have longitudinal springs though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg studebaker and tonner springs 027.jpg (79.4 KB, 31 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-10-2021 at 10:42 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

I'd be reluctant to use a 2" spacer in that crossmember. MAYBE a 1"....on a 'good' day. You really need to find yourself a NOS spring. Maybe Kube can chime-in here on that. NOS springs sure did raise his beautiful '36 roadster substantially. DD
Yes sir... replace the spring. It is very likely "worn out" and as such is not only sagging but is no longer offering the designed height and handling characteristics that Ford built in.
I always install NOS. Although there are places that reproduce springs, they do not match the authentic.
The '36 roadster V8COOPMAN referred to was in fact raised 2" at all four wheels with the installation of NOS springs. A noticeable (positive) difference in ride.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:46 PM   #11
miniceptor86

Thanks Kube. That might me my approach. Then put it on a diet, purdy heads, purdy manifold all shiny and silvery bright to match the radiator. And Maybe an alternator instead of the heavy genny converted to 12v.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #12
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Tinker, it’s just that I’m somewhat a contrarian. Everywhere are cars that have been slammed, bammed and rammed to the pavement. Level or a little nose high for me.

Yep, I get it. Lowered my truck with a drop axle. The original axle went back in a couple yrs later.

Best of luck.

Kube, where does one get a NOS spring?

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote