Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
cas3

Default OT computer question for the wizzards

i'm having crisis, i cant connect to the hamb, or the barn. everything else works fine, started last thur. the first day, i assumed there was some problem at atomic like we had a while back, so no panic. so, heres my deal, i am on an apple laptop in my shop connecting with a verizon jetpack, runs on cell towers i assume, and at night i take my laptop to the house because the wifes computer is so plugged up it hardly works...lets just say its easier to be on my own thing. the house, has internet thru the land line phone. thurs night, when i get home i check and the barn is working. i figure o goody, i'll get caught up in the morning, in my shop. friday morning in shop, no ford barn, or hamb, and anything else you want to do on the net works fine. well, i thought jeez ryan must really be having trouble, its out again! later that day, a friend stopped over who carries a laptop for work, got connected to my verizon thing, but again no hamb or barn. now, i realize its not the barn, the problem is here, and it seems in my verizon connection. i am a computer dimwit, but it seems to me either you are connected to the internet, or your not. how can it select some site to not connect? i do not have any fire wall stuff, and have not deleted any thing out of the "brains" of the thing, what the heck is going on here?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: OT computer question for the wizzards

If you're using Google Chrome, try Firefox. Or just try any different one. Maybe unplug and restart you're Verizon WiFi router.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might check with Verizon?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Some browsers don't clear cookies from all the web sites that a person visits over time. I would try clearing all the cookies and see what happens. Some browsers have utilities to do this but it can also be done with the operating system's optimization controls or a cleaners like Crap Cleaner (CCleaner).

Phone modem connections on an old land line are also slow so that doesn't help. At some point, systems like that may not even work on most sites with the constant "improvements" that go on over time.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
cas3

i use firefox , i should have mentioned. the verizon thing is turned off every time i am done, not sleeping. will check with verizon today
Old 02-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
TJ

Try "System Restore" choose a date prior to when the problem started. Also do a complete virus scan.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
51 MERC-CT

If it were only something as simple.............

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cave 1.jpg (88.2 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 02-05-2018 at 08:42 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
chap52

I don't know how the "jetpack" thing works but when my system goes weird I have to do the following. Reboot both the modem and router, then try reconnecting my computer.
I bet Verizon has the answer.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Jim in Wisconsin

I had real much trouble connecting to some sites, it turned out that the "browser" I had was out of date. It was Internet Explorer (I think). Someone who knew more about it than me - which seems to be most everyone - put google chrome on it and now things work better.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

As stated above, a landline is your worst way of connecting to the internet. It is probably a DSL line. DSL relies on hardware that is at intervals along your phone line wires. If something is degrading the signal even a little, your phone won't know the difference but your computer communications are at an exponential faster rate. Think of it happening in little bursts called which are called packets. If a packet arrives at its next station incomplete, it resends it from the last station. This slows the communication down as packets get resent. What happens at the website you are trying to connect to is the server that hosts the website "times you out" as it doesn't get a good connection. Different places have different timeout settings. We are talking about an amount of time a human couldn't perceive. Your computer operates at millions of operations per second. My point is the problem could be somewhere along the wires if everything on your computer checks out. I would take the computer to a different location and see if it works as you expect. Another possibility is that an operating system update reset something. Good luck, I know it can be frustration.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
1948F-1Pickup

Verizon DSL sucks.
Had it with a landline back at the old house and it worked ok. Once we dropped the landline (moved here) and tried to live with a "dry loop" it was HORRIBLE.
And their customer service was perhaps the worst I've experience in my 56 years. If the CS person had been in the room with me talking to me the way they were on the phone, I'd be on the evening news and they'd be deceased.

We've had Charter for about 3 1/2 years out of the 5. You couldn't get me to go back to Verizon if it were free. We don't have any other provider choice in this part of town, so knock on wood, hopefully Charter stays good.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
cas3

guys, the landline works, its the vrizon jet pak that does not. so, today interesting visit at the verizon store. first, as i imagined, they said it was not possible. so after digging deep into some dusty corners of my laptop nothing changed. next the store employee tried to go to the barn on her cell phone using my jet pak...nothing. it sits there trying to load up for a minute or two, then displays "unable to connect" so then we get the big teck guy on the phone, and he directs her to other dusty areas in the basement of my computer, nothing still. next the guy tries to get on the barn himself, and replies that it took way too long to load up,( he was in a different state )and there must be a problem with atomics system. they say they will put some engineers on it, and have it fixed in a few days. so for the time being, i am unable to connect in my shop. i wonder, have any barners ever tried to connect with a verizon smart phone?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
4tcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
If you're using Google Chrome, try Firefox. Or just try any different one. Maybe unplug and restart you're Verizon WiFi router.

The same thing happened to me, I use Firefox with thru the local cable co.

John
4tcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 AM   #14
cas3

can any one in the mpls metro area connect with a verizon smart phone?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
gearhead1952

Sounds like a bad jetpack to me. Why did they not replace it when they could not connect to the barn with her cell phone through your jetpack? If you are unable to get to any websites through the jetpack I believe that is where your problem lies.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:59 AM   #16
cas3

gearhead, thats what i think too. if you google jetpak wont connect to select sites, you see this is not only my probelm. some of those folks had the unit replaced, and end of problem. the tech guy said it was very slow to load for him too, but it went thru eventually. i've had this thing about 4 years, usually loads the barn, and all others... like now. they said up to 4 days to work on it, still out now. i still would like to hear that some one in my area can load the barn on a verizon smart phone that would narrow it down to my device
Old 02-07-2018, 02:15 AM   #17
pooch

The outage lets you get a real life off the net.

Prob a good thing.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #18
cas3

clicked on it today and WHAM, loaded up rite now. strange, but fixed. now i can really waste some time!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
clicked on it today and WHAM, loaded up rite now. strange, but fixed. now i can really waste some time!
Thinking the same thing; biggest waste of time.... computers, smart phones, and TV's in the garage.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #20
40cpe

My access to the 'barn and HAMB have been off and on since Sunday. I, too, thought it was server related. Everything else works normally. I read on the Y-block forum someone was having the same problem. I'm on a DSL line using an IMac and Chrome. No problems with any other sites. I'm thinking now that it is something on Ryan's end, but I could be wrong.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote