Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #61
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Rebuilding An 8Ba - Tips & Suggestions?

Since you're going to build a 276 cubic inch engine, the Potvin 3/8 is a very good cam for it. 'Pete' is one of my good friends, you can't go wrong with a cam from him. As far as pistons go - lots of options and different price points. It kind of comes down to what you can afford to spend - for what reason.

I tend to run Ross forged pistons with 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 3.0mm metric rings - the best rings I can find. BUT - this is not the inexpensive way to go (ends up being about $100 a slug).

You can go with a cast piston and "traditional" ring packages for closer to $300 - $350 . . . so if you want to save a few dollars, then go this route.

-> Parts: Mac VanPelt is a great guy to speak with - talk to him about piston/ring packages. Like Gary below - he has a lot of what you may need.

-> Gary GosFast: He has some great valve, guides and spring packages - talk to him about a complete setup. He also has a lot of the other parts - so worth a discussion.

Rods - Consider New Ones: The stock rods are just fine, but if they need rebuilding, you might just want to buy a brand new set from SoCal for about $225 or so (non floaters - insert bearings). In the end, the cost will be about the same and you'll have new rods.

Balancing: Since you're changing up a bunch of stuff, I would have the reciprocating assembly precision balanced (including clutch, flywheel, etc). You'll love how smooth it will run.

Valve Job: This is the area where you want to ensure that your machine shop has the correct tools and knows flatheads well. I tend to see the biggest issues in this area - due to some shops not having the correct flathead mandrels for the seat work and not knowing the peculiarities of the flathead (like the valves are higher on the driver's side).

Piston to head Clearance: As Ole' Ron said - it is very important to "tune" the clearance to achieve a .040 to about .045 piston to head clearance. Running a tight 'squish' area is very advantageous to these engines. BUT, your machine shop will need to clay the heads, measure the head gasket thickness (about .052 - typically) and mill the heads for this to be correct. AND, he needs to check the valve to head clearances with the Potvin Cam. He may need to increase the depth of the valve pockets up at the TOP area of the valve reliefs in the heads. The valves are at an angle, so don't just let him fly cut the valve pockets parallel to the deck surface (like most guys do).

Good luck - feel free to PM me if you need anything. You'll have a really nice engine in the end!

B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 10-05-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #62
19Fordy

Thinner walls can create more cavitation which means more heat.
Follow JWL's advice.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #63
FordyToo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Blow View Post

3. Converting to 12V - I want to do this. I know that there are several opinions on whether to just change the coils in the existing generator, replace with a 12V generator, or install a 12V alternator. I personally like the look of the generator on the engine. If the 12V changeover is simple and effective, I think that's the route I'd like to go. Also, would I have to change the starter, or will the existing 6V starter work?
Every light bulb will need to be replaced (headlights, taillights, dashboard, etc.).

DAMHIKT!
(Don't Ask Me How I Know That!)

P.S. you will want to install a 6 volt regulator such as a 7806 Integrated Circuit to drop the voltage for the dash gauges.

FordyToo!
dona nobis pacem
FordyToo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #64
Low-Blow

Ok, quick question. Does anyone know of a shop in the Dallas / Fort Worth area that would sonic test my block?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #65
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sonic testing isn't specific to a flathead, any high performance engine shop should have that capability. However, a shop with flathead experience would be a plus.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #66
Low-Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Sonic testing isn't specific to a flathead, any high performance engine shop should have that capability. However, a shop with flathead experience would be a plus.
Thank you. I talked with a speed shop nearby an they said they send their flatheads to Dave Pluebell. I have seen his name mentioned on the H.A.M.B. I may reach out to him.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #67
Low-Blow

Had some goodies show up today, thanks to Mack Van Pelt. After a lot of thinking, I have decided to bore the block .060. I’m going to drop the parts off at the engine builder this weekend. More updates to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0CF755F-1FE8-4630-A47B-DCF58B3AE8B1.jpg (52.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #68
Low-Blow

It's been a while since I have posted on this thread. The build is starting to progress a little further. For camshaft, I have settled on a 1007B grind to be done by Pete. Since I will be running (2) 94's, it has been suggested that I go with an Edelbrock Slingshot intake. I took the following from Summit's page....

"The intakes are available for dual carburetor 1938-48 engines or in a single 4-barrel version for 1949-53 engines."

I have read threads about folks using this manifold, with dual carb setup, on 8BA engines. Can someone confirm this, and chime in as to what modifications will have to be made?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #69
19Fordy

On an 8BA you don't loose oil pressure if you don't plug the fuel pump push rod hole. What does happen is that you get excessive amount of oil splashing up into the lifter valley. You can make an oil fill tube with an extension that rests on top of the fuel pump push rod hole, if desired. Then you use an electric fuel pump.
PS: Others may disagree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1831best small.jpg (72.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1834 (Small).jpg (24.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1841.jpg (23.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1850 (Small).jpg (37.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1852b.jpg (26.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #70
19Fordy

FYI: If you choose to use an OFFY 4 barrel intact be aware that it will offset your generator and fan pulley 7/8 in. towards the driver side of your engine. NOT GOOD. Read all of this thread.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...nerator+offset
Old 12-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #71
Low-Blow

Update>>>I ordered a lot of new parts from Mack at Van Pelt and dropped them off with the engine builder on Saturday. I ordered a reproduction Edelbrock Slingshot manifold last night and am looking forward to getting it! The next line of business is to have the carburetors rebuilt and to look into getting a new distributor. I am going to Bubba's for the distributor, but need advice on who to have rebuild the (2) Holley 94's. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #72
19Fordy

There are several Fordbarners who rebuild carbs. A SEARCH will yield positive results.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #73
tubman

As stated, there are several out there. I will personally recommend "CharlieNY" since I have had good experiences with him. He does excellent work, and seems to be able to meet his promised delivery dates.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #74
flatjack9

Can't beat Charlie, NY.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote