Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
The 32 woodie does not have a full metal floor, but the wheel wells are attached to flanges on the section of floor between them. Thought this might be helpful.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

That's what I'm talking about. Wood floor with steel wheel tubs. I would use perhaps two layers of 5/8 plywood bonded together, staggering the joints and vacuum press maybe 1/4" solid wood to it. Would it be typical to use bed strips? Oh some bad news the '47 truck on CL was sold when I called to tell him I had ferry reservations for Friday. The listing said 400.00 or any offer considered. Ya snooze yo lose. Something else will come up in the meantime. I really need to complete my tonner panel this winter, but will continue to gather parts and research this woody project. Here's the one that got away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg odessacomplete.jpg (33.9 KB, 61 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #22
jerseyboy

GB,

If you notice, the area between the wheel wells is sheet metal. The piece consists of five parts; the two wells, two side sections, and a center section. All the pieces are spot welded at flanges, except the wells, that are spot welded on the main surface. The wood floors consist of a front frame made of maple and oak and two floor boards inside the frame, made of 11/16 thick 5 ply plywood. The rear sections on either side of the wheel wells/floor pan, are maple floor boards running perpendicular to the frame and fastened to the frame and pan.

Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
GB,

If you notice, the area between the wheel wells is sheet metal. The piece consists of five parts; the two wells, two side sections, and a center section. All the pieces are spot welded at flanges, except the wells, that are spot welded on the main surface. The wood floors consist of a front frame made of maple and oak and two floor boards inside the frame, made of 11/16 thick 5 ply plywood. The rear sections on either side of the wheel wells/floor pan, are maple floor boards running perpendicular to the frame and fastened to the frame and pan.

We still need to keep in mind that with a truck based woody, the builder might not have had all those same parts, perhaps just the cowl. I have purchased (traded for) 4 jailbar trucks, one is a 1/2 ton panel that has spent some time on it's roof.... Perhaps just the ticket for those wheel wells an has decent rear fenders too! There's also some nice cabs, seats, a nice tonner with new tires and a title, a factory cowl piece for jailbar delivery trucks, a running 8ba, a complete 1/2 ton pu with a title, 2 extra panel doors, two extra truck doors, 2 very good rear 1/2 ton pu fenders etc etc.... I am on my way to cutting one of the cabs with bad back corners and floors to make a good cowl piece. I still have 3 more loads East of the cascades to finish it out...... What I'm wondering so I can start some preliminary mock-up and thought process over the 3 day weekend is does anyone have specs/drawings of a 1/2 ton jailbar panel? The one I'm getting is still ovr there til next week or two. Also interested in what the normal panels have above the windshield to accept the wood top framing. On that great video that was posted a while back, he was pounding wood into some kind of recess at the header. Anyone have a un-built woody can show a picture? Thanks much in advance. Took the ugliest stuff first so I wouldn't run outa steam and leave some over there. Next trip will be the tonner or the panel. Too bad no back doors on it.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4646.jpg (97.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4654.jpg (97.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4660.jpg (93.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4668.jpg (83.0 KB, 83 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #24
Bill

Within the past two or three years a jailbar woodie was featured in the "Woodie Times" the monthly newsletter of the National Woodie Club. Can't remember where it was located. I'll see if I can find the copy and let you know which issue it was. The truck was very well done. Can't remember if they retained the original drivetrain.... Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #25
truckdog62563

Here's the half ton panel and light duty cab/chassis. If you want the tonner drawings I have them too. Also, please email me your address so I can mail the Campbell Midstate diagram. I'm sure I still have it but finding it is another matter. Stu

Old 09-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Wow, Thanks Stu. I think I'll start with a 1/2 ton truck based woody, perhaps sell it when complete. Next I will build a tonner based woody for myself. How cool would that be? This haul from Twisp looks better and better as I scrape off the moss. Under the moss and needles is very solid sheet metal. That doesn't happen west of the cascades..... I will soon have my very own junkyard consisting entirely of jailbar trucks, and maybe another today... It can't be any worse than the stock market. Have you ever tried to gaze upon or fondle a stock market shareholder certificate? I haven't, but a really nice 1/2 ton rear fender? Or two? ...... Off to dinner with the missus, will get serious with drawings tomorrow. GB

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-06-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #27
Mtn Wudy

As a kid in High School I drove a 1947 Ford 1/2ton Panel...Next to Woodies they are my favorite ..That said at the Wavecrest Woodie Meet three years ago the was a Woodie built in a 1/2 Ton Ford Panel chassis...He drove it to the meet from New York...He too was a Woodworker and adjusted a lot of the lines of a passenger Woodie....It looked good and didn't look Fake or Made-up....! I'll look at my National Woodie Club Rooster and see if I could find a contact for you...Good luck on your project.....Carl...
Old 09-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #28
Mtn Wudy

Like a "Dummy" I hadn't read the 2nd page before I wrote my reply..I didn't see and hadn't read "Bill's " reply....That Woodie is the same one that drove to Wavecrest...Anyway,,We're pullin' for Ya,,,,We're all in this thing together....Carl...aka..Slim over at "The Lazy S Ranch" Montose,CO.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #29
Bill

So I dug thru the pile and found Sept /13 copy of Woodie Times. Get ready to cash in yours and the wifes' 401 K. The build is spectacular I'd estimate 80/100K to do it. The truck is located in Cedar Mi. Wood by Mike Nickels of Traverse City Mi. to resemble 41/48 wood. Built on a Wagoneer chassis. Maybe another NWC member can upload the article. Beyond my limited skills. All in all a very well executed job just not cheap! By the way Wavecrest takes place in Encinitas Ca. Sept 17/20. Am I going? You bet! Lotsa flathead and modified woodies all in one place. I'll take some pics of the originals and try to post when I get back... Bill
Old 09-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #30
truckdog62563

This should be it. Stu

Old 09-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #31
Ralph Moore

That is a beautiful truck!
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #32
Bill

That's the truck! Thanks Stu now do you have any more pics to post? The truck is titled as a 42. Powertrain is by GM. Again a well executed project... Bill
Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #33
truckdog62563

Somewhere I have pics that Gary wanted of the joint where the wood meets the metal of the windshield surround. But I'm away from home today so will post it later. Stu
Old 09-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #34
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
Here's the half ton panel and light duty cab/chassis. If you want the tonner drawings I have them too. Also, please email me your address so I can mail the Campbell Midstate diagram. I'm sure I still have it but finding it is another matter. Stu

Stu,
You got those pics but for the 1/2 ton pickup?
Be lovely to see them.
Thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
truckdog62563

Pickup.

Stake bed

Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #36
truckdog62563

Maybe this could help too, even though it's a '37. Stu

Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #37
Mtn Wudy

Wow,,,I stand corrected.....I was a few States Off....Sure enough that's the truck I was thinking of...Thanks Bill for following through,and yes he's in the Directory... Maybe one of us could contact him and get him into the Post....
PS ..I'm still up in the air if I'm gunna load up the car and head to Wavecrest..Carl
Old 09-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #38
GB SISSON

Thanks tons Stu and others! It's pouring out and most of this new metal is still outside so I hope to do a little research today. As miraculous as it sounds, a summer resident just across the county road has a nice collection of vintage vehicles in an 8 car garage. One is a beautifully restored '40 ford woody wagon. I don't know him too well, but I'm thinking since it's Labor Day weekend he may be at his vacation home so I plan to drop in on him if he's there.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #39
scooder

Thanks for the pics stu.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #40
GB SISSON

Talking Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thanks tons Stu and others! It's pouring out and most of this new metal is still outside so I hope to do a little research today. As miraculous as it sounds, a summer resident just across the county road has a nice collection of vintage vehicles in an 8 car garage. One is a beautifully restored '40 ford woody wagon. I don't know him too well, but I'm thinking since it's Labor Day weekend he may be at his vacation home so I plan to drop in on him if he's there.
Dang, talked to his wife and he sold it.... Cleaned and surveyed 2 '47 cabs trying to decide which one to cut off at the header and rear floor. Such a tough decision. One is a better cowl and one has a better floor. Back east or rust belt, you'd get horse whipped for cutting up either one!