Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
bobbycoke

Unhappy How to test a condensor?

Would like to know if it is possible to test a condensor to see if is working properly..if so how? Is the distributor only grounded to the head at the point which it sits in the had as I am having trouble starting a newly rebuilt engine, got power to points but not to spark plugs all appears correct. I am running a modern plate and points which was running fine befor rebuild! thanks barners bobbycoke
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
steammech50

Send a message via Yahoo to steammech50
Default Re: How to test a condensor?

Had modern upper plates in both my cars,had so much trouble with modern condensors I switched both back to original,haven't had any problems since .
steammech50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

The improvement to modern condensers opens you up low bid contracted items with questionable quality control. Napa/Ford/Autozone just do a low bid contract from an offshore company for large quantity. Sometimes they are good and sometime they are not so good. You will find people in the Mustang forums complaining of bad out of the box units.

Your best bet is the original type A&L unit with a modern high quality capacitor inside. They pay the extra dime per unit (it may actually be a few pennies more) for a cap that is not likely to fail in the next decade or two or three.

As for testing. You can make a coil tester (at one of the Model A club websites) or buy one. There are also capacitor testers you can buy, but they are pricey. A multimeter will show you a real bad condenser, but they rarely fail that bad.

It is way cheaper to buy 2 A&L units so you have one for your car and one to help the guy who is too cheap to buy one and is broken on the road.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

The distributor mounting is a ground, the popout cable is also a very good ground. Hopefully the head and distributor shaft are clean and free of rust. I coat the shaft with grease or antiseize before I slip it into the head. If you have doubts about the ground, just use a jumper cable fron the distributor to a head nut or other good ground.

I made my own condenser/coil tester. I also bought a SUPCO condenser tester. It was $45, but a nice tool to have.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

There is always complaints here about the so called modern setup. I had the same problems with the V8 set up over 20 years ago. There is no advantage .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-04-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote