Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
37fatfender

Default Hard to Down Shift 3rd to 2nd

I have a 38 top loader trans in my 40 Coupe. It was rebuilt by Van Pelt a couple years ago. Less that 2000 miles on it since being rebuilt. Double detent shift tower. This car is well taken and not abused ever.
Here's my problem yesterday, yesterday wasn't the first time it has been getting worse. I was driving had to make a turn and downshift to second....I could not down shift. I had to leave in 3 rd and chug home. Or if I can get into neutral it will not go into second. I am not sure what is going on. Sitting still engine running or not it shifts like a hot knife in butter. I am wondering if i should adjust the clutch push rod? The problem only seems to be when the car is moving!
Any ideas?

Thx
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Hard to Down Shift 3rd to 2nd

I experienced the same situation....the shift lever locating pin in the threaded portion of the tower was sloppy. This caused the lever to kind of rotate which mis locates the
critical engaging parts on the working end of the stick. If I was REAL careful and
compensated for the slop no problem....if I got lazy when shifting......problem.
I did refit an over size press fit pin and now I can be lazy.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
alanwoodieman

sound like some clutch problem, give it a little more free play. also check the pin fit. I had some one put GLK 5 trans fluid in a 49 pu trans and the sycro's went out which caused even more problems, brass thrust washer was also worn down. trans progressively got worse over the summer and now I will rebuild and try again
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
Andy

I bought some really good oil from Tractor Supply. It is GR1. It even say it is for Ford transmissions. I drained what I had in the box and put the new oil in. It made it shift incredibly better.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Well, another way to see if you have a clutch release issue is to first test it in the driveway when you're not moving (sounds like you've done this). If you push the clutch in a bit and then go to put it in 1st or reverse and it grinds, then your clutch is not releasing. This is my first test - as the clutch is still cold and the disc has not expanded.

If you pass that one, you're usually good to go - unless the adjustment is "right on the edge" of releasing - as the clutch/disc will expand when they get hot (and then can drag) - so it may need a little more throw in the adjustment.

Are you having issues in 2nd - both on acceleration as well as on deceleration? If the synchros are worn, it will usually go into 2nd easier on acceleration, than on deceleration - as the synchro has a lot of work to do when you're downshifting (to slow 2nd gear down so the shift collar can engage).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
1stford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37fatfender View Post
I have a 38 top loader trans in my 40 Coupe. It was rebuilt by Van Pelt a couple years ago. Less that 2000 miles on it since being rebuilt. Double detent shift tower. This car is well taken and not abused ever.
Here's my problem yesterday, yesterday wasn't the first time it has been getting worse. I was driving had to make a turn and downshift to second....I could not down shift. I had to leave in 3 rd and chug home. Or if I can get into neutral it will not go into second. I am not sure what is going on. Sitting still engine running or not it shifts like a hot knife in butter. I am wondering if i should adjust the clutch push rod? The problem only seems to be when the car is moving!
Any ideas?

Thx
My experience with Mac V has been fantastic! He was great to help me through the couple of adjustment issues I had with my transmission after he rebuilt mine. I would just call him up and tell him what was happening and he would make a recommendation until the problem was fixed. If you have not I would call or email him.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote