Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Brendan

Default model a roadster

I am looking to buy a Model a roadster, the one I am looking at has a 39 trans in it. did the torque tube needed to be shortened? I really won't Model A with a V-8 in it. with the V-8 trans could a guy pull out the banger and stuff in a V8 in it with out a lot of hard work , I think the hard part would be done, can you let me know... Brendan

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Ed Pitts

Default Re: model a roadster

Brendan, if the roadster has a 39 transmission, it also has an adapter kit to mate the A engine to the transmission. I have one in my 28 coupe. The torque tube did not have to be shortened to do this install. I later added a Mitchell to the mix.
I plan to put a V8 in mine as well. My spring project. Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
PeteVS

Do you have the Bishop-Tardel book?? There's a lot of insight there about 'A's with V8's.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Brendan, maybe you can find one that has already been setup with a Flathead V8. I agree with the comment about getting a copy of the Bishop-Tardel book if you want to read a great book on building an AV8. A model A roadster would be a very cool car to own and drive.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Brendan

i have been looking on the Internet for a wile now, I think that I am getting impatient. with my luck if i buy this car I am looking at one that I relay wont will come along with a V8 and a better price!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
done4

Send a message via Yahoo to done4

Don't know what you are really looking for but have you looked on the HAMB side in the car classifieds? Sounds like you're leaning to a more traditional hot rod and there are quiet a few listed from time to time.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Installing a flathead V8 in an A bone will take time to find the right parts. If your hobby is wrenching on old cars then you will join the ranks of many that have done the same thing. You can drive the car with a 4 banger until you get the parts. Driving is half the fun for most of us. The other half is the work and searching for the right parts to make the car your own. If your not much into wrenching then you'll have to look for a more complete example of what your wanting. The Jalopy Journal/HAMB site has more traditional hot rodding info than is stored over here on the Ford Barn.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
CT AV8

Brendan-
If you're in Santa Rosa you should talk to Vern Tardell. He knows all about AV8's and what you need to do.
If your '39 transmission is hung off the banger, you will need a new rear motor mount with the V8. Vern sells a '32 style K-member for a Model A which is what we used. Solves a lot of problems. You will also need new pedals. We used '32 pedals as per Vern's book and they work well although they're getting scarce.
We also found that with the stock Model A torque tube, the engine ends up very tight to the firewall and it will need some trimming. Also sloping portion of floor board has to be relieved or a new one fabricated from sheet metal.
Steering box also has to be changed to clear V8 and rear exhaust port is a challenge.
Go visit the Tardell's. They know all about how to do this.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
hardtimes

Hey Brendan,
I've had a '39 trans w/adaptor to B banger engine for years in my '30 roadster. Torque tube not shortened. However, to replace banger w/v8, you are looking V8 radiator, V8 engine front mounts, rear '39 trans mount (banger rear mount surfices w/banger engine), pedal change and a number of other things to consider as mentioned by ctav8. Hey, unless the four cylinder is worn out, drive it that way...you may like it...I did! I sat V8 60 on the frame and '36 engine on the frame, and decided in the end that building the B engine (with 200+ cu in) made a stronger quicker powerplant than 126 cu in V8 60 and/or stock '36. And, except for '39 trans adaptor...everything fit great ! The warmed up B with zepher 2nd and higher rear gears makes it a quick fun driver. So, different ways to reach your goals..depending on what they be! BTW...if your down this way, let me know and you can test drive my creation to give you some input on which way to go.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote