Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
PepeLoco

Default The Free Automatic Resetting, 100% Effective, Mouse/Rat Trap

THIS IS NOT PITA APPROVED!

I think there are just too many young people on this forum (under 80) who don't remember how farmers and ranchers use to catch buckets of mice and rates a day for pennies.

In my barns I used to catch 10-15 mice/rats in one trap per day. Because these traps reset, you need to check them every couple of days before the bodies start to stink.

Get a 5 gallon bucket. Fill one third to half way with water.

Get some bailing wire and make a banjo out of the bucket by wrapping one end of the wire around the end of the bucket handle where it attaches to the bucket.

Slide a paper towel card board tube down the wire and tie the other end of the wire across the bucket to the other end of the bucket handle where it attaches to the bucket. Your banjo won't work now cause of the paper towel tube, but I think you get the idea.

Cut the paper towel tube to fit FREELY on the wire. It needs to pivot and spin nicely. Thinly spread some peanut butter over the tube; all over.

Place your trap in the varmint infested area. You need two ramps on both sides of the bucket so the varmint can get to the peanut butter.

If you have mice and rats, you WILL catch them.

Tips:
The peanut butter will harden and attract mold, and the varmints hate the smell of that mold, so you will need to replace the paper towel tube.

I've heard some ranchers up North dump salt or fill the buckets with old motor oil so they won't freeze in the winter.

Depending on the number rodent patrons, you may need to keep the peanut butter nearby for periodic reapplication .

Be sure to fill the water level high enough to drown those big, armadillo sized rats. But not too much that you splash the water all over your leg while carrying/dumping the nasty water.

To keep the smell down, empty the bodies AND the water frequently.

To keep Fire Ants from eating all your peanut butter, put some grease on the wire ends.

A stinky dead mouse body is the best bait to catch thousands of flies everyday, in one of those big fly traps you get at feed stores. Works better than their bait stuff they give you with the traps.

I know the season is just about over, but I am pretty happy with the test results of my homemade mosquito trap. High speed/volume fan with a fiberglass screen attached on the outflow side. Caught a couple hundred this month.

Mouse Trap.jpg

Good luck and Godspeed!
Pepe
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Dodge

Default Re: The Free Automatic Resetting, 100% Effective, Mouse/Rat Trap

His last sentence was this is to keep the mice and rats out of my Model A.......
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
sturgis 39

I am going to try this trap. I park my Model "A" in a rented garage for the winter and every time I check the garage I wonder if there is going to be rodent damage. They can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Thanks for the information.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I am going to try this trap. I park my Model "A" in a rented garage for the winter and every time I check the garage I wonder if there is going to be rodent damage. They can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Thanks for the information.
Sturgis,
Gotta' wake up your Avatar dog (what's his name?) & put him to catchin' meeces & rats!
Buster T. Brown, my Rat Terrier, is a FREE, AUTOMATIC RESETTING, rodent killer and does FLIES at no charge also. Bill W.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
jeep44

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Ed Northrop

Bucket trap works great I use a plastic bottle instead of a paper tube. RV antifreeze in the winter keeps from freezing. I also supply a ramp from for them.
Ed
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
QGolden

Just don't let your dogs get at the bucket if it has the Antifreeze in it. It is deadly to them. I guess the RV Antifreeze is not toxic but most of us would likely use leftover Glycol. It is sweet to the taste and will cause Kidney failure. One drink is likely to be fatal. I once lost a Golden Retriever to Antifreeze poisoning from a lowlife malcontent in the neighborhood.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
V4F

cool mouse trap ! ...............
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Great explanation, thank you !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Rick Finsta

Propylene glycol is non-toxic; old style antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which is generally the culprit in pet poisonings.

Also, if you have chipmunk issues in your garage, take a bucket and a ramp, and just float some bird seed on a few gallons of water, and you'll get tons of the little buggers that jump in to get the seed and drown. They can be very destructive nest builders, just like mice.
Rick Finsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Jim Brierley

Great idea! I have a relatively small mouse problem and solved it in a different way. At first I just put poison pellets in small tuna cans, but found that the little buggers were stashing the stuff for later feasts. They even used one of my rubber boots for a stash. Now I still use the tuna cans, but put just a few pellets in them, just enough for the odor to attract them. Next to the cans I set an old fashioned spring trap, with a pellet as bait. I have about a half dozen of these in the shop. Most of my "customers" come in the spring and fall.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
Jeep,
Why's the cat so skinny????? Are mice a low calorie snack?? Bill W.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
jeep44

That's a Fat cat! You just don't see his big belly hanging down there. he's an old stray who adopted us, and he goes out most mornings, catches a mouse,and then sleeps for most of the rest of the day. really, cats aren't too effective a mouse catcher-I'm going to make one of those bucket traps.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
mach0415

I like the ACME 4 legged, automatic reset, 100% effective, earns his keep, mouse trap above.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful." -- By society, who is still arguing over who said it.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

The Rat Terrier asks, "What about RAT damages? Every one is blaming mice??" Bill W.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
juke joint johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
That's a Fat cat! You just don't see his big belly hanging down there. he's an old stray who adopted us, and he goes out most mornings, catches a mouse,and then sleeps for most of the rest of the day. really, cats aren't too effective a mouse catcher-I'm going to make one of those bucket traps.
That cat you 've got there Jeep is a beauty !!! We've got one just like it
I used to call him "The Ginger Ninja" because he would catch so many mice and even a rat or 2
But now he is" Too Old To Cut THE MUSTARD" *
He still manages to sleep all day and eat the Fish my wife cooks for him though. Like you say the Bucket looks a lot more reliable

* Bill W.
Remember that one by the Carlisles another one of my favorite bands!!!
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
That cat you 've got there Jeep is a beauty !!! We've got one just like it
I used to call him "The Ginger Ninja" because he would catch so many mice and even a rat or 2
But now he is" Too Old To Cut THE MUSTARD" *
He still manages to sleep all day and eat the Fish my wife cooks for him though. Like you say the Bucket looks a lot more reliable

* Bill W.
Remember that one by the Carlisles another one of my favorite bands!!!
Had a Great Uncle, Named John, also,
Walking home from his hardware store every night, picked a dime's worth of chopped liver for Midnight, the cat, who had NO teeth!
I can't "cut the mustard" anymore, my main problem is that "MY BUCKET'S GOT A HOLE IN IT!" Bill W.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
marc hildebrant

I have used the old fashioned spring type traps for many years.

I glue the spring trap to a short wooden stick so that the trapped mouse can't drag the trap around. Also, the stick makes a handy place to hold as you get rid of the mouse.

Peanut butter is the best bait.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
juke joint johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Had a Great Uncle, Named John, also,
Walking home from his hardware store every night, picked a dime's worth of chopped liver for Midnight, the cat, who had NO teeth!
I can't "cut the mustard" anymore, my main problem is that "MY BUCKET'S GOT A HOLE IN IT!" Bill W.
Well Bill "If your Buckets Got a Hole in it" * You won't be able to drown any mice!! so I'm real glad you got Buster T to catch them for you !!!! those little critters can be a real pain in the garage !!!

Poor old Midnight I bet he liked that Liver Sparky still has plenty of teeth just can't be bothered I guess

*That's another good number lot's of people recorded that even
Hank Wialliams
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote