Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Fritz

Default '41 Flathead Not Starting

I am trying to revive my pickup which has been sitting, well-preserved, in an Ohio barn for about 20 years. It was restored prior to being stored, but has been rather neglected.

I have rebuilt the Ford 94 carb and the fuel pump. The gas lines are clear with a new gas tank (I can pull gas through the line with a vacuum pump). The motor cranks over, I am getting spark, but it will not start. The pump seems not to be pumping fuel (it's the later style with the glass bowl and not a drop gets deposited in there when the motor cranks), but even after I have put gas in the carb float bowl, and sprayed starter fluid down the throat, the engine isn't firing up.

Anybody have any ideas?
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
johnny

Default Re: '41 Flathead Not Starting

I suggest the valves are stuck ,take the plugs out put some oil in the cylinders and turn her over on the starter or tow her .
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
ford1

i believe Johnny is correct, do a compression check to really see it that is the problem, if it is, pull all the plugs and put a good amount of penetating oil in the cylinders and let set for a few days, turn the engine over and do it again, wait a few days , turn engine over to clear cylinders, replace plugs .prime the engine and see if it starts, if it does put 4 or 5 oz of marvel mystery oil in fuel tank , put a qt in crank case and run engine, if its the valves they should free up, a good penetrating oil is a home made one, 50/50 mix of acetone and auto trans fluid, just dont be in a hurry let the stuff work
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Fritz

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Fritz

Ok, over the past few weeks, I've squirted ATF/acetone down the plug holes three times. I've replaced the plugs, and am still not getting the engine to fire up. I can feel some compression at the end of the tail pipe. The gas in the carb float bowl that I put in has been sucked out by cranking the engine over, but even with spraying starter fluid and gas down the throat, I'm not getting anything to fire.

I would think if it has fuel, spark, and even a little compression, it should start?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
47COE

You should pull the plugs and test the compression for each cylinder. That will give you a better idea of what is going on.

Another possibility besides stuck valves is that the plug wires are mis-wired. A good spark at the wrong time won't do the job.

Tom
47COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
alan

you say you have a spark? how strong is the spark? does it jump a 1/2" gap-is it blue in color? remove the distributor if the spark is weak and clean the points with some fine sandpaper, make sure they are opening and closing---one set at a time, I would be willing to bet that the points have a layer of crud on them and you really can't get a good spark, also get some new plugs or at least clean and gap the old ones.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote