Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
PepeLoco

Default Where are all the Chevy's from 28-31?

If I am correct, Chevrolet sold about as many as Ford did between 1928-31. Then why don't you see more Chevy's? What happened to all those cars? Poor quality? Bad metal? Too much wood?

Even if my memory is bad, and Ford out sold Chevy, still...where are all those cars?
Pepe
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
darrylkmc

Default Re: Where are all the Chevy's from 28-31?

We actually had a discussion about a month ago "Ford Vs Chev ?"

Here is a link to that thread:

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64771

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Hicktick

termites
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

In 1929 Ford outsold them Chevy boyz but by 1931 Chevy outsold Ford by a margin of 3 to 1. A lot has to do with their basic construction, ...and it is my personal opinion that it also had some to do with the 'socio-economic structure' of those who owned that car.

To start with, generally the '28-'31 Chevrolet was perceived to be better constructed than its counterpart (the Model-A). Not so much in 1928 but definitely by 1931. If you have ever ridden in or driven a 1927 Chevrolet, ...and in a 1929 Chevrolet, you will quickly realize what I am saying. They were a heavier car that arguably had a better suspension (4 springs vs. 2), better steering, and in the case of the 1927 Chevrolet, they had 3 speeds in a selective-gear transmission vs. a band controlled planetary transmission. I could go on with the differences but the coachwork itself was also something that was much more substantial in the Chevrolet. In 1929, Ford found himself competing against what many buyers considered a better engine (6 cylinder) that obtained better fuel mileage and was much smoother in operation. Likely it was something new that folks had to 'warm up to' at first, but like anything new, once it had been proven it was accepted. My father owns a 1931 Chevrolet Landau Phaeton which was the direct competitor to the 400A Convertible Sedan, and when I compare the two vehicles' construction both in mechanical and coachwork, there really is no comparison. Also, GM had more flashy interior selections with the same being said about their exterior colors.

The downside to Chevrolet was the very thing that made them noteable in that the coachwork over time would deteriorate. The two other things that I think sold Fords was the vast dealer network that he had, AND that he provided in-house financing. He offered a car that folks could afford, ...and saw to it where they had a way to buy it.

Where this socio-economic thing comes into play IMHO is automotive engineering was advancing at a high rate back then. Taking a Ford for example, if you purchased a brand new Ford in 1926, you got a 22 horse vehicle with a 2-speed planetary transmission that many considered underpowered. Three years later, you purchased a 1929 Ford that still had a 4 cylinder, and three years later you purchased a new Ford that could have been equipped with a V-8. The horsepower doubled (as did the speeds) each time you purchased a new car, ...all of this within a span of 6 years. My point is that a 5 year old Ford back then did NOT have any re-sale value because it was grossly outdated. Therefore the majority of people that bought the 5+ year old Fords were folks that could not afford anything more modern. Because of the vast amount of T's & A's that were manufactured, parts were abundant allowing the Model-A to remain usuable through out the years and not become extinct.

So like you pointed out, too much wood which may be considered a design flaw by our standards is where they likely met their major demise. Then poor repair parts availability sealed the coffin so to speak.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 04-11-2012 at 11:58 AM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Louis

You really don't see a lot of 28-31 chevy's. But here's a 31 chevy. my buddy fixed up. He is the one that did the body and paint on my "stock" 31 "A" coupe, Which ride's a lot smoother then his .
We go to a lot of sat. cruise nights togeather. I do have a hard time keeping up with him though , I guess I need a good tune up .
The chevy. is fun to drive .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2240002[1].jpg (81.3 KB, 124 views)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Rich in Tucson

There is a 1931 Chevy Cabriolet for sale in Tucson, AZ. Call Ron at 520-623-5755. Needs to be restored but was running when parked, top is all there, metal is straight.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
CarlG

There's a 29 Chevy 4-door sedan that cruises with us sometimes. It's a neat car allright, but hearing the tales of parts searches (compared to the As) is scarry. He does have a bit of trouble keeping up with the As in the hills though.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Popeye31

There around you just have to look for them most have been hot roded but there are a few still in there original form.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
There's a 29 Chevy 4-door sedan that cruises with us sometimes. It's a neat car allright, but hearing the tales of parts searches (compared to the As) is scarry. He does have a bit of trouble keeping up with the As in the hills though.
Wow, that surprises me. I think the horsepower on the 1929's were like 48 horses (rated 50 horse in 1931) compared to the Model-A's 40 horses. Granted the Chevrolet was about 150 lbs heavier, but I was thinking they had a 3.80-something rear axle ratio. With 20% more horsepower than the Model A, and a little stronger gear ratio to compensate for the slight amount of additional weight, there is no reason in the world why your friend's car should be struggling to keep up with y'all. In reality, it should be the other way around!

Let me tell a little story that happened when I was a kid that I still remember to this day. In the mid to late 60's, there was a man (-actually a really old man!) named Hilliard Duncan in the Houston HCCA club that had a '29 Chev. Brougham (like pictured below) that would drive his car everywhere all over the state of Texas to tours and club events. I remember as plain as day him getting ready to go home from a club outing and telling my dad (who had a '31 Roadster) and Bill Coleman ('30 Coupe) "Well boys I'll see you later." My dad and Bill said we'll be behind you. Mr. Duncan replied, "I don't think so boys. When I get to the top of that overpass, that will be the last you see of me." Well, my dad and Bill weren't buying into that nonsense whatsoever so we all loaded up and left together with my dad leading the way and me "ridin' shotgun". Guess what, true to his word as soon as we all crested that overpass, Mr. Duncan pulled around us in the passing lane and then started fading off into the distance. That old Chevy would cruise effortlessly at 60mph ...and he could push it to 65 if need be. He drove that car to many Texas Tours and club outings where others would put their cars on a trailer. THAT little episode was the main reason my dad purchased his '31 Landau Phaeton. (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07PIC5.JPG (129.9 KB, 89 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Bruce Adams

I agree that Chevy's are a rare breed.
The MAFC of Long Island has 300 memberships and about that many Model A's.
We have an easy sixty Model A's at local parades and such.
The Thursday night weekly cruise-in near me usually has a dozen Model A'sl
I saw my FIRST original Chevy of the period last week.
It looked a lot like a Model A and I was impressed with it, but it was like seeing a really rare bird.
I have heard the rarity of survivor Chevy's has to do with their use of wooden frames.

Some of our cars two weeks ago on a rainy March tour on Long Island.
Yes, its a REAL McMANSION.
An 1865 home the residents wouldn't let Mickey tear down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy(2)ofIMG_5353.JPG (64.4 KB, 67 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
ctlikon0712

I saw two Chevy's in Bedford PA. at the Fall Foliage Festival this past year. There were some nice cars in the parade, including an old Oldsmobile, even a REO Speed Wagon! Here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2148s.jpg (89.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2150s.jpg (97.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2151s.jpg (76.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2152s.jpg (106.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2153s.jpg (75.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2160s.jpg (83.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2161s.jpg (78.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
I saw two Chevy's in Bedford PA. at the Fall Foliage Festival this past year. There were some nice cars in the parade, including an old Oldsmobile, even a REO Speed Wagon! Here are a few pics.

What is the large cylinder mounted to the firewall with copper lines going to it? Vacuum canister?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
theHIGHLANDER

That cylinder is a fuel pump.

Long ago, dad and I bought a 29 Chevy 2dr with absolutly ZERO RUST. Not a hole or a pit on the sheet metal. Lots of original paint too. It also had almost ZERO WOOD left in it! The body was in pieces, and raising a family dad quickly realized what a big project it would have become to re work. Still the metal was so clean there was a decent profit when he sold it. We stripped and painted 1 fender on it. No rust, no dents. Ranks right up there with the easiest refinishes in my career.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
DGNY

When my dad bought our first and second '31 A Tudors in the summer of 1953, he regaled me with stories of his '30 Chevy coach that he bought in '31or '32. He claimed it was indeed a quick car and far smoother than either of our two As. Said it would do over 70 mph. His dad, my grandfather, had had a '31 Chevy that inspired my dad to get his '30.

A friend of mine in high school had a '31 Chevy and it would blow the doors off my A. Embarrassing! But even in the Fifties in upstate NY, there were few Chevys.
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
ctlikon0712

I'm not sure, but it looks like a vacuum operated draw filter. The fuel tanks are apparently in the rear and lower than the carb. so instead of a pump, they use engine vacuum? Anyone else? In one pic it looks like the owner tee's off to go inside with a gage....
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
marc hildebrant

My first car was a 1933 chev coupe. The interior was original and looked pretty nice (Bought it in 1967). It makes my 1931 Ford look primative.

Of all the Chevy's , my favorite is the 1932 model. I real classic.

Sadly, I sold the car in 1976.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Thanks for sharing these great pics!
These cars pictured were older than many of our As , and is some ways ahead of Ford even the As! Yeah their downfall, IMO, was wood but look at the better ride, at the OHV head, fuel storage/delivery, and those beautiful disc wheels(I still have couple of those). I had my '30 Chev engine rebuilt short block by Egge and it ran quiet as a 'singer sewing maching' ! 'Restored' the wood ('30 bidness coupe) as a amatuer wood carver..never again !
As to 'where have they gone'...same as As ...for the survivors! They are stored away in people's garages/sheds/barns,etc, . In about 1965 or so, we started a Chev club here in the San Fernando Valley. With about 300 members, it's the only club that I've ever belonged to. Still have NOS parts and club roster, patches, jacket and dozens of new chevy club books ..re: 4/6 cyls. If anyone were curious about classier styling of one or other, I would refer you to look at the 1932 Chev coupe, compared to the vaunted 1932 Ford coupe. I've owned both Ford/Chev and lovem both!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
ford1

a lot of modela's and t's were gobbled up by the two world wars, chevys are built like a boat, wood skelton with metal tacked to it, most of the wood in a ford a or t was there to tack upholstery and things to. a friend of mine is restoring a 35 master delux, it has 4 suicide doors , the body is metal but every thing else is wood, package shelf,seats, door supports, and every thing else inside the body is wood, the door hinges are screwed to wood in the supports, the body setteled 1/4" from rear window to the front wind shield when he removed the center door support, i had a body man tell me he gets paid by the tacks he has to remove and replace when when restoring the old chevys, the last time i check about a year and a half ago the body wood kit was $8500
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
Richard Wilson

I know a man in the Asheville area that has a 27 Chevrolet 4 dr sedan with a brand new rebuilt engine for sale for $3,000. He has more than that in the engine. It needs new wood (which Classic Wood sells). PM me if you want the guys phone number.

One major problem with the early Chevrolets as told to me by men that were around back when the 20's and 30's cars were nearly new is that the early Chevrolets were very prone to breaking rear axles. One man told me that his Chevrolet broke a rear axle while sitting overnight in the driveway.

My next project is to restore my 1928 Chevrolet fire truck with less than 4,000 miles.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Karl

A Lot in New Zealand. They seem to hold up very well in our climate and after the Model A probaby the most common car in the Vintage Car Club.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
What is the large cylinder mounted to the firewall with copper lines going to it? Vacuum canister?
Vacuum tank. Rear mounted gas tank so the Vacuum tank pulls fuel from the tank up to engine . Quite an elegant set up and surprisingly reliable Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
[email protected]

The old Chevy's were also notorious for easily breaking their rear axles. But you could replace the axle from the wheel side pretty easy compared to axle replacement on the Model A's. As you know you have to drop the rearend and split the banjo. Some guys driving Chevy's driving back in the day, actually carried a spare axle with them.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #23
columbiA

I had a 32 Chev 5W coupe back in 56-57.Cost me $75 and I put 10,000 miles on it.Only trouble I ever had was a broken valve spring-twice.Since the valves were in line with the cyls,no damage was done and I could replace the spring in about 20 minutes by sticking a screw driver in the spark plug hole to hold the valve up & hooking a tool under the rocker arm to compress the spring so I could insert the retainer.The body looked in good shape,but the door posts were letting the doors sag.After I sold that car,I went back to a model A again.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #24
ctlikon0712

Looks to be the same shade too!
I think those Chevy guy's had to pool their money to get a deal on the paint!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #25
pooch

Wow, I cannot believe you guys are so one sided to not know a vacuum tank when you see one.

I got dozens of these going for guys who didn't have a clue.

Was an easy task.

Float drops, seals atmospheric valve, engine vacuum draws fuel from gas tank, upper chamber fills until float rises, pops open atmospheric valve, vacuum suction stops, fuel gravity feeds to carb.........float drops, repeat.

You hear the idle change and a pop and hiss on a chev.

On a different tack, in 1928 if you wanted a good low priced car you bought a plymouth.

It was 5 years ahead of a model A and 3 years ahead of a chev.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #26
Terry, NJ

My father's cousin used to say that his 29 Chev was always breaking axles too.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
I know a man in the Asheville area that has a 27 Chevrolet 4 dr sedan with a brand new rebuilt engine for sale for $3,000. He has more than that in the engine. It needs new wood (which Classic Wood sells). PM me if you want the guys phone number.

One major problem with the early Chevrolets as told to me by men that were around back when the 20's and 30's cars were nearly new is that the early Chevrolets were very prone to breaking rear axles. One man told me that his Chevrolet broke a rear axle while sitting overnight in the driveway.

My next project is to restore my 1928 Chevrolet fire truck with less than 4,000 miles.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
ctlikon0712

Pooch, we are a Ford Forum after all, ha ha. And if many Chevy's survive from that period here in the states, they rarely show themselves. Those two cars were the first Chevy's of that era I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been going to car shows for 25 years. In my defense, in my post above I did have inkling as to their purpose. I was only born in 1971.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Hey Terry, I'd bet your cuz's car was actually a '28 Chevy instead of a '29. The '25-'28 were the ones most notorious for this. In 1929 the car was totally revamped to now included a longer wheelbase (5-6" longer than a Model-A), a 6 cylinder engine, different axle and brakes. Comparing a 1928 Chevy to a '29 is like comparing a 1927 Ford to a 1928.

Hey Richard, if you decide you need to do two fire trucks, my Dad (who lives just outside of Johnson City) has a 1927/28 Chev. firetruck that came from Idabell, OK. He's had it for 40 years and I doubt he will ever restore it himself so you might should consider clearing some space for a twin!! Kinda like a His & Hers set.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #29
Richard Wilson

Thanks for the offer Brent. I doubt that I could afford another one. Maybe I could get an invite to come see it sometime since I am only about 60 miles away. Hope to see you and your Dad at Fiddleheads.

Back to the Chevrolets.........I am sure that the reason we do not see many of them on the roads is that there are very few reproduction parts for the 20's and 30's models, more now than in the past. That is one thing that the regular Model A guys can appreciate. Even if most of the Ford repro stuff is made off shore and doesn't fit to suit us we have the option to use it or not. At least we have the choice.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Where are all the Chevy's from 28-31?

Besides my two beloved Model-A's, I also own a 1929 Chevrolet 2-dr coach. It is mostly original except for paint (belt mouldings have original paint & stripping) and tires. The honeycomb radiator core was replaced at one time with a regular core, but the original top/bottom tanks were used.
The cars' odometer shows approx. 23K and does not work. However, due
to the condition of the car I beleive that not many more miles have been added since it broke. The car cruise's effortlessly at 55 mph (speedo still works) and when I come to a stop. Occassionaly I will gun the motor just
to make sure it is still running, it is that quiet! The original interior is a corduroy that when new was a beautiful plush dark royal blue. I found one spot showing this on the side of the passenger front seat. All the rest of the interior has faded to a dirty green. "Old Tenn", I found her
in Tennessee about 10 years ago has been well cared for her entire life.
At one time the underside of the car was competely under-coated. Which I'm sure has helped in her preservation. She is a great car and is just like the one dad bought for us to play with back in 1966, when I was 15. I
learned how to drive in that car and even took my driving test in her when I turned 16.

One of the reasons Chevy's of the late 20's/early 30's are notorious for breaking rear axles. Is because the rear ends were virtually the same as the 1925-28 4-cylinder rear ends. The more powerful 6-cylinder motors
were just a little to much for the axles. And, yes, "Old Tenn" has a spare
axle under her back seat!

The '29 Chevy brake system, especially the front, most have been designed by a physics major with a bad hangover! There are "two" cross
shafts under the car for the service brakes so you can adjust the amount of breaking between the front and rear wheels. Which can be a real guessing game if you are not careful. The rear service brakes
are external contracting while the parking brakes are internal expanding.
Lots of rods and levers like the Model-A, but I feel the Ford system was/is a better more positive one. The '28 Chevy (last of the 4-cylinders) brake system is pretty much the same as the '29. In 1930 Chevy went to cable operated brakes and that is something I am unfamiliar with.

Yep, Model-A people don't know how lucky they are in the availability of
spare parts department. But, like die-hard "Cast Iron Wonder" guys tell me: "It don't matter, we don't need the spare parts like the Fix Or Repair
Daily guys!"

Me, I love'm both...................

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
Jamie86

Thanks for posting the REO Speed Wagon, sharp looking truck.
Jamie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
BrianBurkert

My grandfather grew up in the 1920's and 1930's and he was a life-long car guy. He said Chevys and Plymouths had a lot of axle trouble (agreeing with some previous posts here). Ford touted his 3/4 floating rear axle that took away a lot of the fatigue that the Chevy's "semi-floating" rear axle was subject to. My grandfather said the Chevys were smooth when they were set up right, but he said people were forever messing with the overhead valve adjustment and many Chevys had tappy valves.

He said, even at that time, he saw the Ford as a tougher car with tougher transmission ("fully-jeweled") and tougher rear axle to withstand the rural roads. Also simple and easy to repair in the hard depression times.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
J Franklin

The answer to the original question was the fact that Chevrolet (GM ?) and other manufacturers including Hupmobile had a policy encouraged by the government during the depression to crush used vehicles that were not pristine to encourage new car production. This is a fact I learned after buying a Hupp.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #34
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
The answer to the original question was the fact that Chevrolet (GM ?) and other manufacturers including Hupmobile had a policy encouraged by the government during the depression to crush used vehicles that were not pristine to encourage new car production. This is a fact I learned after buying a Hupp.
Interesting...
Did they show you any documentation of how many went to the crusher?

I would have thought people were driving cars tied up with bailing wire with bald tires during the depression.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #35
J Franklin

I believe it was from the Hupmobile club publication The Hupp Herald. but I don't know if that was told.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #36
Richard in NC

One other reason I don't think anybody mentioned was that all the oldtimers told me that the A model was WAY better than anything else for traveling the muddy rutty narrow horrible dirt roads that we had here is the south. And when you have a car that good you keep it running as long as possible and then park it in the barn whenever you do finally quit driving it.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #37
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in NC View Post
One other reason I don't think anybody mentioned was that all the oldtimers told me that the A model was WAY better than anything else for traveling the muddy rutty narrow horrible dirt roads that we had here is the south. And when you have a car that good you keep it running as long as possible and then park it in the barn whenever you do finally quit driving it.

You've got a valid point. There probably wasn't very much indoor parking and GM cars had a lot of wood to rot out. Also their cars were workhorses and what worked best was kept.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #38
eagle

My grandpa was born in 1904 and his opinion was the chev wasn't reliable, never asked him why... His favorite car was a 29 Plymouth, he loved the model A too. He asways said that a model A "was a real good driver". "The only bad part of an A is the brakes, but they're OK too as long as you keep them adjusted" His only complaint on the Plymouth was hard starting in the winter although he claimed the 29 was better starting than the later Dodge/Plymouth. By the 40's he claimed that when the sun went behind a cloud the Dodges wouldn't start. He had a 39 Chev that he did not like, I remember that. He was not one to care what logo was on the front, he was an old practical farmer and could care less about anything except wheather or not it gave him good service. He was poor so always drove old cars.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #39
Peter J

My grandad was a Chevy man. I'st I remember was his 36 sedan but had earlier ones. He kept his 39 coupe for a work car (was a contractor) and kept his brand new 52 for Sundays. He had the 39 till he passed away in the late 60's.
Was their the friendly rivelry between Ford and Chevy folks back in those days I wonder?
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #40
Richard in NC

I'll tell you something else that the old timers told me. I asked why the model A and the old 6 cyl chevys were so much more popular than the Plymouth when there were alot of features on the Chrysler products that were clearly surperior from an engineering standpoint. He told me that a Plymouth with pressure lubrication and insert bearings would run much longer than a Ford or Chevy with poured bearings but when they did fail they usually ruined the crankshaft unless you heard the knock and took care of it immediately. With a poured babbit bearing and shims, You could pull the pan and adjust the clearance without any damage to the crankshaft. If you were real careful not to tear the pan gasket, the job cost you absolutely nothing. This was a really big plus when most people were poor.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #41
ronn

Wood was the main issue.
I have a 31 chevy roadster and there was almost no wood left in it when I bought it. There are so few 31 chevies compared to A's left, that it isn't funny! The chevy was a longer, better built car all the way around, but the A's of Henry endured much better, as we all know.
I personally believe Henry did a better job on interiors and colors then Chevy, but that is my opinion.
Nothing like Washington blue.... etc.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #42
30modelA

thats why chevys are worth so much more money, cause you cant find them. try to find one of them restored for 8k, aint gonna happen
30modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #43
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30modelA View Post
thats why chevys are worth so much more money, cause you cant find them. try to find one of them restored for 8k, aint gonna happen
Worth more?? or just cost more?
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #44
30modelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Worth more?? or just cost more?
thats pretty much the same thing, things are only worth what someones willing to pay for it, but if you want it you have to pay the cost of it. and yes the fewer there are of something that means there rare, rare generally means worth more unless your talking about a steak. blowing your mind, i know
30modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #45
ctlikon0712

Here is one that survived and it has allot of wood!

1931 Chevrolet Series AE Station Wagon
"1931 Chevrolet Series AE Station Wagon" 29 November 2007. HowStuffWorks.com. <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1931-chevrolet-series-ae-station-wagon.htm> 24 March 2012.
Cite
Feedback

Classic Cars Image Gallery

The 1931 Chevrolet Series AE station wagon had a new grille design, revised hood louvers, and a new headlight bar. See more classic car pictures.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Before "woody" station wagons were factory-authorized, the 1931 Chevrolet Series AE station wagon already was sporting the style on the road.
Classic Cars Image Gallery
Eight years later, Chevrolet offered its first factory-authorized "woody" station wagon. Chevrolet was one of the many makes then being used to provide the running gear for special-order aftermarket wagon conversions.

The 1931 Chevrolet Series AE station wagon shown here uses brown vinyl instead of the original leather.
Those constructed in 1931 used the new Series AE chassis. Its 109-inch wheelbase was two inches longer than the previous year's. The 50-horsepower, 194-cid, ohv six-cylinder engine got a new crankshaft vibration damper, a heavier flywheel, and a block with added strengthening ribs.
On the outside, there was a new grille design, revised hood louvers, and a new headlight bar that also supported the horn on the left side.
It was the commercial-car chassis that commonly got the call from wagon builders. The chassis has been built to light-commercial specifications. The AE chassis also served as the basis for a series of light-commercial vehicles.
These light trucks were marked by details such as beefier springs and an underseat fuel tank rather than one at the rear. But bodywork was nearly identical to that of the cars.

The AE wagon has roll-up glass in all four doors and side curtains for the rear quarters.
On the outside it wears the bright trim of the DeLuxe package first offered for commercials in 1931 to spruce up the looks of vehicles that needed a nattier image.

The engine of the Chevrolet AE wagon got a new crankshaft vibration damper in 1931.
The body features roll-up glass in all four doors and side curtains for the rear quarters. Period upholstery would have been leather, but the six-seat wagon shown here uses brown vinyl in a shade that matches the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31 chevy woody.JPG (39.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 31 chevy rear.JPG (36.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 31 chevy int.JPG (18.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 31 chevy engine.JPG (31.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #46
ronn

Actually, the chevys are not worth more. Several models of the model A are worth considerably more then the chevy. Take the A400 for example. The same car in the chevy only goes for a fraction of the A. The 32 chevy doesn't bring anywhere near the 32 Ford either....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #47
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLoco View Post
If I am correct, Chevrolet sold about as many as Ford did between 1928-31. Then why don't you see more Chevy's? What happened to all those cars? Poor quality? Bad metal? Too much wood?

Even if my memory is bad, and Ford out sold Chevy, still...where are all those cars?
Pepe
Hey whose youse that's saying 'too much wood'
Here's a picture of '30 chev business coupe in '68 and a FEW years later ('73) still messin with the wood!
Talk about cool...notice the "3 window", eh! Ford didn't have 3 window for sale... till '32..obviously copied from chev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1944.jpg (31.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1946.jpg (31.9 KB, 17 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #48
Tudortomnz

I grew up hearing lots of bad things concerning old Chevs ; broken axles, run engine bearings, stuffed 'knee action' suspension, jammed vacuum shift on the '39's etc. Although many still survive down here, IMO Plymouth was the superior car [ I had a '34 & Dad had some Chevs] but value for money then & 'x factor' now, Ford has them all.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #49
Robert

tin worms and termites
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote