Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
Certimafied

Default 2 cent on Brake drums

Ive searched and searched but didnt find anything that answered this question about drums.

I have one that is out of spec and the others are tapered with the widest points close to out of spec. Searching for replacements from Macs, Snyders, and mikes I have found 3 options.

New drums, don't remember which company but they said USA made, Used drums, and reman'd Drums.

I was kind of leaning towards the reman drums, mostly because they are original equipment technically so I wouldn't think there would be a fitment issue and the price is a little nicer than the brand new. That being said I am willing to spend the money as long as I only do it once!

What is everyones experience in this subject? Should I get new shoes as well, I found on the forum where someone found new shoes. Could I get away with relining my old shoes? if relining are the molded an upgrade from the woven?

Thanks again everybody, I know im wearing the forum out tonight I appreciate all the responses!
Certimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: 2 cent on Brake drums

Talk to Randy Gross.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302980

You can't go wrong.

Get everything in one place, with the drums swaged to your hubs and the shoes arched to your drums.

I separated the old drums from the hubs to save on shipping.....

Old 11-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #3
Certimafied

10-4 Ill check it out, Thanks!

I like that idea, I always run short on time. Being able to get everything already ready already is fantastic!

Last edited by Certimafied; 11-07-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:47 PM   #4
CarlG

Randy Gross had my brakes turned around and on their way back to me in just a couple of days. Great job!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
Anteek29

X2...Randy Gross!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
Certimafied

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think it will be Randy Gross for the win! Really appreciate the direction, glad I asked!
Old 11-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #7
Kevin in NJ

The only choice for most people is to pay for people with the special tooling to build a set of 4 wheels worth of new brakes.

You end up with correct working brakes that are mostly bolt on, they did the job using tooling that cost them a few thousand dollars.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #8
Synchro909

Randy Gross brakes for me. As for using original steel drums, I wouldn't even consider it. I want to stay alive and the better braking offered by Cast Iron makes that more likely.
I rivet new woven linings to my original shoes and patiently remove any high spots. The effort is all part of staying alive, IMO
Old 11-08-2021, 05:12 PM   #9
Certimafied

Well put!

People always worry about the go but never the whoa!
Old 11-08-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
hazelhoff

I restored mine because I din not like the looks of new iron ones (sharp edges). I bought a huge steel pipe fitting the internal drum. Had it cut on a huge lathe of course to exactly pressure-fit the heated drum. First drilled 4 holes in the original drum sides to weld the new ‘ring’ securely tight.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
Certimafied

hazelhoff, I thought of lining the drums too. I just don't have the means nor the time. Good to know it can be done though!

Just spoke with Randy today. Very nice honest guy I'm definitely going to let him do the brake drums and shoes for my car. Pricing is actually quite cheap I was expecting it too be higher. Now I have to figure out shipping from east to west coast. That will probably be the shocker!!

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #12
hazelhoff

I know it may sound like an experiment, but believe me … they work great !
Henk
Old 11-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #13
jbwthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certimafied View Post
hazelhoff, I thought of lining the drums too. I just don't have the means nor the time. Good to know it can be done though!

Just spoke with Randy today. Very nice honest guy I'm definitely going to let him do the brake drums and shoes for my car. Pricing is actually quite cheap I was expecting it too be higher. Now I have to figure out shipping from east to west coast. That will probably be the shocker!!

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions.

I had Randy do my brakes last spring and I was quite happy with his service. He is indeed an honest guy and provided prompt delivery and was quick to answer questions after the sale. On the shipping, I made the mistake of using a local shipping “convenience store” and it was over $200 ! Lesson learned, go direct to the UPS depot. Also, packing the drums was no small feat, I had to find some appropriately strong boxes and used wood blocks to reinforce and space the drums out to prevent damage. I packed 2 per box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #14
Will N

Just curious about the process involved in re-manufacturing drums. I can't imagine that they could be sleeved because either the old drum would have to be turned down so much that it loses its integrity for a thick enough sleeve to fit, or the sleeve would be so thin that there would be no way to effectively attach it to the drum. Does anyone know how this works?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
Tom Endy

You can't go wrong doing business with Randy Gross. I have known him for years and I knew his dad Mel for years. Randy lives just a few miles down the road from me and I see him often. He is one of the most honest guys you will ever meet.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #16
Certimafied

Jpwthree thanks for the advise on shipping. I wondered about what to ship everything in too. but I then remembered I have five boxes in boxes that I had these five 18x8 wheels shipped in for a Range Rover classic. I'm thinking two of those will work perfect for everything!

I just have one more gathering I want to get my car to before the tear down. While waiting for the brakes it will be front spring and shackles, distributor rebuild and king pin/spindle bolt bushing redo! Quite a winter coming up for the 28 fordor!

I wish I got a model a sooner in life.. Im already looking to get rid of the 66 el camino and 59 pickup and get another A to wake up and get running again!