Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #21
QGolden

Default Re: Gps

Rubber cement can be used to stick a small piece of plexi glass or similar to an inside surface. Or you can screw a piece of plexi to one of those extra dash holes. . The suction cup mount can be attached to it. The Rubber Cement rolls right off of the surface when dry. Also, if you do not have a steel roof, the GPS will work anywhere in the car.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
pat in Santa Cruz

I tether mine from the mirror with a piece of yarn tied to the mirror mount and the arm of the GPS suction cup. When the suction cup lets go, the GPS swings free, but does not drop.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
Jim/GA

Interesting. I have never had the suction cup come loose while driving. I open the windshield a bit most of the time. I guess I have just been lucky.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
Bob Johnson

I made a mount for my tablet/gps.

Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
mhsprecher

I just use Google maps on my iPhone. It may not be as flexible or as capable as a GPS, it's enough for me. Given that we typically want to stay off of some roads, the old fashioned map still works well. That said, knowing speed and time elapsed might be handy, too. To throw in another opinion, I think that GPS makes you stupid. When you get lost with a GPS, you are really lost.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
mngreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Butts in CT View Post
My Garmin NUVI has a realistic battery life of about 8 hours, so why add more electrical clutter to the "A?"

I use a suction cup mount on the windshield.

Slightly off topic, but related...I feel the same way about my "sound system."

My Ipod touch with long battery life... pumping through a cheap omni-directional speaker with its own long battery life... both tucked into an old cigar box on the floor. Open the lid and I have instant access to my entire music library, including 15 hours of period music (great for when I pull up to the bank drive-in).

At the end of the day, everything recharges in the house, although, in a pinch, I could also power everything for about 11 additional hours via USB connection to my laptop.

I suppose my point is that I see no compelling reason to modify my "A" for 2013 technology.

In 30 years, someone else would just have to tear out all of the modifications to accommodate some other accessory as yet undreamed of (which would prompt a lot of posts about mystery wires and holes in the firewall and dash rail).

I'll stick with external battery power

Yes, absolutely! I do exactly the same and use both my Garmin NUVI plus my old iPod with iHome speakers that have rechargeable battery power (great sound!) in both my Model A and my Model T. The Garmin windshield suction cup mounts quite nicely on the right side of my gas tank in the A and on the metal dash on the T. It has never come off unless I take it off.

In my view, with today's technology, messing around with the wiring of an antique vehicle is ridiculous.
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
Cape Codder

Are there any GPS's that can be programed onto the roads that I want to travel versus the GPS telling me what roads to travel. I want to program it for back roads then I know with the GPS when the turns are coming.
Thanks for your time.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
Tom Endy

Here is how I mounted my GPS

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010780.jpg (64.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg P1010781.jpg (68.8 KB, 49 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #29
sidhartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Are there any GPS's that can be programed onto the roads that I want to travel versus the GPS telling me what roads to travel. I want to program it for back roads then I know with the GPS when the turns are coming.
Thanks for your time.
I've not seen one that you can program your roads into. I think that defeats the real purpose of the GPS. I do have a Tom Tom that let's me choose to avoid toll roads, highways and unpaved roads.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
John Butts in CT

Quote:
Thanks for your time.
Like Sidhartha, I'm not aware of any GPS with this capability. However, you can use Google Earth on your computer in conjunction with your GPS to accomplish the same thing, transferring locations saved in Google Earth over to your GPS as points of interest.

First, use Google Earth to scope out the roads you want to take on a particular drive. I find it much easier to use a keyboard and a big screen to plan a trip. Then choose a series of locations along the way that you can only reach by taking the roads you prefer; save them and name them in some obvious sequence (Stop A, Stop B, etc., or restaurant, covered bridge, lunch, etc.).

Here's the catch: you have to convert the files you just created from Google Earth's format to whatever format your GPS uses. There are free programs online for this. Then import the re-formatted files into your GPS (mine imports them as points of interest, so I'll call them "POI").

Tell the GPS to take you to your first POI. When you arrive, punch in the second POI, and so on.

Carry a paper list of your POI names and a marked up paper map, too!

I used this method in Ireland recently for day trips where we knew we'd have to hike the last couple of miles to our destination. I used Google Earth's satellite imagery to find the nearest parking area and made that my next-to-last POI. On arrival we'd slip the GPS into a day pack and hoof it across the fields to our final destination. (On perfect days, the next-to last stop was a pub parking lot.)

In many ways you can't beat a paper map and a competent navigator, but the GPS is great for true speed and ETA, especially in an "A" or on foot. I also like the GPS' ability to recalculate when a bridge closure, an unfamiliar but tempting road, or a spur-of-the moment ferry ride disrupts the best laid plans.

This thread has me thinking. There's probably not enough demand from go-slow old car drivers to convince anyone to create a "backroads" app for smart phones, but maybe, if we combined with serious touring cyclists? Hmmm. The dead flat State of Delaware is a haven for cyclists, and the state publishes a counter-intuitive road map on which the widest roads are the most cycle friendly, the narrowest roads are the busiest, and all road surfaces are color coded. It's a perfect map for "A" drivers.

P.S. I don't have a smart phone yet, so if there IS a backroads app or a cyclist's app, could someone please share the info?
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #31
Bob Johnson

Quote:
Thanks for your time.
I wanted to do the same thing with my tablet. I tried man GPS applications. The only one that worked on my tablet was Mapquest. It is a little complicated but it does work. I use my desktop computer to access Mapquest where I am able to pick whatever route I want with as many location as I need. Then I email the route to my tablet. I open the email on the tablet and there is a link to the route. I click on the link and open it with the tablet application for Mapquest. Recently one of my local clubs had a back road trip that started and ended in the same place and took a route that would not be selected by the GPS programs. I was able to set up the route on my computer and send it to the tablet. Here is a picture of the route.

Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #32
Fred K-OR

Default Re: It depends some yesy some no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
Check the voltage output of the wall charger that came with your GPS. If the output is 6 volts or less there is a good chance that the cigarette lighter adapter that came with your GPS will work with the Model A 6 volt battery. Install a cigarette light receptacle. JUST BE SURE THAT YOU GET THE POLARITY CORRECT. If your GPS is charged through the USB port then you can get a car USB adapter. The car USB adapters are built to work on 12 volt systems. However they will also work on 6 volt systems. Just be sure to get the polarity correct.

Bob
Been here and done this twice! Very good advise. I had to buy two new adapters.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
eagle

The easiest way to travel the route you want on a gps is to enter your destination first, then pick addresses that are off the beaten path that are on the route you want to travel. Put them into the gps as via points. It will then route you from point to point along the way. Most Garmin gps also have options of "quickest" or "most direct". The "most direct usually brings you the most scenic route. Also, just take off cross-country whenever you see an interesting road. The gps will re-calculate the route as needed. Turn down the volume so you don't have to continually listen to the annoying "RECALCULATING!" voice...
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote