Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
oldforder

Default Oil viscosity (weight) for model A

So from reading old posts I gather that people use most everything from 10w30 to 20w50, and everything in-between, with some even opting to use non detergent. I personally believe that non detergent is not for internal combustion engines but I am not here to argue that point. My concern is the viscosity of the oil. My engine will never be started in temperatures below 60f. If it is, I will first use the oil pan heater, which raises the oil temp quite rapidly. My concern is the type of oiling system used for the main bearings in these engines. The Idea of a high viscosity oil having to flow through what I consider a quite small passage to lube a large bearing. It seems like one would want a quite thin oil, at least when cold. So, would a 0w40 oil be superior to a 20w50??? ALSO, it sits quite a while, like a couple weeks at a time in the summer between uses, and 5 or 6 months over the winter, and I want something that will leave a film on the bearings till oil gets to them when starting. I will put only probably 1 or 2 hundred miles a season on it, and will change the oil every fall like I do my other classics.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote