Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2023, 07:18 PM   #41
earlyride

Default Re: Safety of old tires

Feel bad for the guy with the 40 that burned, I always carry a halon extinguisher and on one occasion it saved my truck from burning when I had a engine fire. Halon works well and doesn't leave a mess like dry chemical extinguishers do.
earlyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:54 PM   #42
jimvette59

I just sold a set of 20 + year old Coker 750 x 15 white wall tires that didn't have a crack or blemish on them with a c1 front end and differential for cheep to a c1 owner. He said he needs them for a roller.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #43
sugarmaker

Folks,
Being lazy today!
That is a darn shame about that 40 Ford burning up from a blow out old tire. I try to keep good tires on the stuff I drive. The 32 dump got all new "Firestone" tires 2 years ago when it was ready. It will never go much over 40 MPH. So heat will not be an issue.

I must say: (this is only trying to make something positive from the picture of the burning car), that he did have the fore site to save the cooler, with the beer in it, and cracked one open! Just kidding!
Old tires and road hazards are no joke!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:01 PM   #44
flat-v8

I never really thought about tires until reading this post. I figured these Denman Super Safety 4 ply Bias whitewalls were kinda old, but they still look good and ride fine. I drive on these every weekend @ 50-55 mph. There's no DOT anything on these, but I did find on the inside this ID code. I guess if I'm reading this right it's time for some new tires LOL! And my spare is a Firestone Gum Dipped 4 ply, never been on the road, age unknown?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Denman Super Safety 4 ply.jpg (68.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Denman Date Code.jpg (50.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Firestone Gum Dipped.jpg (78.6 KB, 20 views)
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:57 PM   #45
GB SISSON

Here's one more reason.... (never thought it would be ME cautioning anybody about anything)..... But last Spring I was adding some air to a 12 ply michelin radial recap 7.50 x 17. The truck was not roadworthy yet, but was approaching that realm. The rears were new from Coker by PO. I had filled the right front, same recap to 30 lb and was airing up the left. Was at maybe 20-25 lbs and it went off like dynamite. Not like a shotgun by any means. My face was less than 2' away and fortunately it blew a huge hole in the back side. There was no fender on it and the blast blew a couple of chrome headbolts covers off that were on with silicone. I was 69 then and considered my hearing to be excellent to good, never thought about it. Well after the explosion I lost maybe 90% of my hearing in both ears. My wife ran down from the house and my kid heard it over the sawmill he was running 100 yards away and also came running. I couln't make out a word they were saying. I stayed that way for 1/2 hour, then it started coming back, but after 4 hours it never got better. I can watch tv at volume 9 , but any accent like British etc I can't understand. Gonna look into the hearing aids at Costco next time on the mainland. And I was doing Sooo well.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:37 PM   #46
q81a

Tyres made from 2000 to the present day. The date code is four digits long. The first two digits represent the week of production, the second two represent the year. A tyre marked 1412 , was made in the fourteenth week of 2012. 1990-1999. The date code is three digits long followed by a triangle. The first two digits represent the week, the third digit the year. !980-1989. The three digit code was also used in the 1980,s but without the triangle. Before 1980; if your tyres do not have any of these markings, they were made before 1980 and should be replaced.
q81a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 01:50 AM   #47
SoCalCoupe

Update: Regardless of the wood block, the tire shop got me fixed up by convincing me to mount the offending tire without a tube. My thought, 1941 wheel, bad idea. However, now I think they're right. Been running one wheel tubeless for several months, the others with tubes. No significant difference.

The tire shop, Discount Tire in Pacific Beach, did the right thing and took care of my issues.

Diamondback Auburn radials are awesome tires! Highly recommended.

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 09-21-2023 at 02:03 AM.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote