Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
hdmike

Default New Rotor

What is the best way to remove material from the rotor to properly set the air gap? I just don't want to remove to much at one time.
hdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: New Rotor

You don't remove any material. The end of the brass is bent up or down to increase or decrease the air gap.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
BudP

When I used a new distributor body and a new rotor, I found that the contacts inside the body were uneven distances from the rotor. I filed each long contact down to the length of the shortest. I also filed a little off the end of the rotor. I used a feeler gauge to insure a uniform gap between the end of the rotor and the contact. I filed each until I had a uniform gap of .025 between the end of the rotor and each contact.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

BUd P has it right file each contact to get your gap. if you try and bend the rotor contact it will break off the plastic rotor most of the time. as long as your not rubbing the dist body contacts you should be good. how often did we set the gap on later points style cars? do you remember a spec for those later cars? i dont.
probably the most important thing is to have no play in the distributor shaft which causes variable point gap and rotor contact gap
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
BUd P has it right file each contact to get your gap. if you try and bend the rotor contact it will break off the plastic rotor most of the time. as long as your not rubbing the dist body contacts you should be good. how often did we set the gap on later points style cars? do you remember a spec for those later cars? i dont.
probably the most important thing is to have no play in the distributor shaft which causes variable point gap and rotor contact gap
Only with X-RAY vision, could we check a "modern" cap Anyone remember having one HIT? I don't.
Bill W.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Only with X-RAY vision, could we check a "modern" cap Anyone remember having one HIT? I don't.
Bill W.
EXACTLY my point
Old 04-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

It is something I never looked at on my car, it runs fine, but I took a look, found one contact almost touching, opposite side about .025, found the locating pin holding th cap a little off dist base, filed the notch, now the cap sits square, still some gap variation, car still runs the same , found a cap that has same gaps, car still runs the same, put original cap back on, car still runs the same--- my conclusion-- it doesn't matter that the gaps are somewhat different if there are no other problems--- perhaps a large gap helps if you have rich mixture plug fowling problems
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
hdmike

The reason I was asking i bought a new rotor from Snyders and it was to long and hit the body and broke the rotor. I don't remember years ago when I had a two door sedan worrying much about the rotor hitting the body. I just put it on and was good to go. But, that was over 30 years ago.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I wonder if the body contacts were too long. I've seen some repro bodies that fit loose on the distributor and can shift around. The bodies I bought from Bratton's, Snyder's, and Little Dearborn all fit nice and snug.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

do you have side slop in your dist shaft?

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-25-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
mshmodela

Funny I was checking my rotor gap a few weeks ago --it was a whopping 0.061" I replaced the body with a new one (the old contacts had some major signs of arching). I happen to be using a clear distributor top and the difference in the new body resulted with a a gap of 0.035" on each as opposed to the 0.061" is that the spark at the contacts is now much less. Given gap is resistance, more gap, more resistance, I would think more of the coil's energy is now going to the plugs and maybe a larger spark there... My car idles smoother, less little odd random miss... (for what this newbie has observed).

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 04-25-2015 at 11:14 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmike View Post
The reason I was asking i bought a new rotor from Snyders and it was to long and hit the body and broke the rotor. I don't remember years ago when I had a two door sedan worrying much about the rotor hitting the body. I just put it on and was good to go. But, that was over 30 years ago.
When I buy parts for spares I test fit them on my car first. I have found bodies that the "original" rotor hits and I have found rotors that have hit "original' bodies.

I make the adjustments to the new part installed.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #13
hdmike

There is no slop in the dist. shaft. I'm just lucky that my old one was still good, till I can order another one from Snyders. I want to thank you, for all of your comments it really helps.
Mike
Old 04-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
kenparker

No offense meant Kurt, but "It does matter". As msh said "the more gap the more resistance". If one wants their cars engine to fire and run smoothly all four plugs should fire evenly. To do so requires the same voltage to each plug in order to get he same explosion in each cylinder.

... and I hope I got my grammar right. I am to lazy to do much proofreading.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote