Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #1
Mike1291

Default Clamp-on O2 Sensor

I was curious if anyone has any experience with using a clamp-on 02 sensor to tune their A? I have a vacuum gauge that I've used but I can't use it while I'm driving. I also don't want to mess up my tailpipe by installing one there.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #2
GeneBob

Default Re: Clamp-on O2 Sensor

After I put the supercharger on my Tudor, I could not figure out the tuning. I finally bought an air/fuel gauge and put an O2 sensor in the exhaust. I had already switched to 12V earlier so it was no problem powering the gauge and sensor.
It turned out that my used Stromberg 97 must have had an air leak so it would go from rich to lean on me. I put a new Stromberg on and it tuned in quickly. The a/f gauge helped me a bunch but I don't know if you would gain much on a stock set up.
You stated "clamp on" O2 sensor. Mine is clamped onto the exhaust pipe before the muffler but you still need to drill a large hole in the pipe for the sensor to be in the flow. The sensor should be no more than 15" from the exhaust ports if I remember correctly.

Last edited by GeneBob; Yesterday at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add last paragraph
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #3
Banditorama

Default Re: Clamp-on O2 Sensor

Not specifically on the Model A, but I've used tailpipe sniffers. They aren't very accurate and the further down the exhaust system you are, the further off they get.

What I'd suggest is getting a piece of exhaust piping, get the end of it flared, and get an O2 bung welded into it. Fit that into place, tune your car, then put your stock exhaust pipe back in once you're finished
Banditorama is online now   Reply With Quote