Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
RUNNERBUN

Default Fact or fiction

Came across this and thought it quite interesting. Is it fact or fiction?

DID YOU KNOW THIS?

This comes from a FORD training film

There are 36,500 oil drops in a quart of oil. A gasoline engine uses 1/1100 th of a drop on every power stroke, and that equals 1 quart per 1000 miles. However, if the engine leaks 1 drop every 50 feet it will use a quart in 300 miles. - (speed doesn't matter as long as it drips every 50 feet.)” The purpose of these facts were to show the working service technician that a drip was worse than a burn!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
2manycars

Default Re: Fact or fiction

Looks like the engines have improved over the years. My modern cars use NO oil between changes.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Looks like the engines have improved over the years. My modern cars use NO oil between changes.
it depends many do.. you picked a good one.... the new car parked next to yours on the lot may burn

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 11-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

Several of the drops from the flywheel housing are from the transmission, may be even more so than from the rear main bearing. So I am not convinced that drops / drips are any indication of oil consumption.

However, I do find that an unsealed Model A 3-speed transmission requires replenishing yearly (about every 2000 miles).
Old 11-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
katy

Quote:
The only cars that don't use any oil are the ones that don't run.
Your "modern cars" may not use any discernible amount, but they still use some, as little as it is.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Several of the drops from the flywheel housing are from the transmission, may be even more so than from the rear main bearing. So I am not convinced that drops / drips are any indication of oil consumption.

However, I do find that an unsealed Model A 3-speed transmission requires replenishing yearly (about every 2000 miles).

Yep, mine will throw oil from the clam shell [as I think it should]. I probably should change the felts, but,,,,,, Adding oil is easier.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
DougVieyra

I remember years ago when, during an unexplained lapse in my oil leak, an old timer came up to me, and noticing that there was no oil marking on the ground under the rear of my Model A's engine, said in a cool, matter-of-fact way,
"Looks like your oil leak is broke, sonny".

- On another occasion another 'old timer', also noticing that my Model A did not drip oil, remarked: "A true indicator that you are out of oil".

So after a number of years of driving the Model A Ford, I long ago realized that to insure my engine's lubrication system was working 'properly', it had to have a 'leak'.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, CAlif
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
The only cars that don't use any oil are the ones that don't run.
Your "modern cars" may not use any discernible amount, but they still use some, as little as it is.
Plus, there is a small amount of contaminants such as blow-by products and condensation that get into oil and replace the oil used so the level appears the same. A few years ago I drove a Ford van from New Mexico to Iowa for a friend. The former owner told me it didn't use any oil, and it was full on the dipstick. Well, after about 200 miles, the next morning it was over 2 quarts low! So I was checking it every 100-150 miles for awhile, but it never got low again. Later I found out it was only driven on short in-town trips and hadn't been changed for far too long. So it had over two quarts of condensate that evaporated after a good long run.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Plus, there is a small amount of contaminants such as blow-by products and condensation that get into oil and replace the oil used so the level appears the same. A few years ago I drove a Ford van from New Mexico to Iowa for a friend. The former owner told me it didn't use any oil, and it was full on the dipstick. Well, after about 200 miles, the next morning it was over 2 quarts low! So I was checking it every 100-150 miles for awhile, but it never got low again. Later I found out it was only driven on short in-town trips and hadn't been changed for far too long. So it had over two quarts of condensate that evaporated after a good long run.
I think you did that motor a big favour. I bet it ran a lot better after the trip too.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
Jwilli

Love the oil leak is broke statement.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote