Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #61
RUNNERBUN

Default Re: A drive around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
Why are your headlights covered?

For protection from stones which can often be thrown up by heavy transporters on our sometimes narrow roads. They come off at night of course if the need arises.

Runner
Old 09-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #62
stewwolfe

Makes sense, but how do your radiators survive without stone guards?
Old 09-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #63
Brentwood Bob

Thanks for the pictures and great narrative. The tall ring and pinion is like an overdrive. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #64
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Hello all, yes we are still going strong. Happy to report Man, Woman and Machines all going well and we remain on schedule. We had a great rest day at Broken Hill. We spent some time servicing the cars and then went for a short 26 km drive to The historic mining town of Silverton. Silverton is now a popular tourist destination having many art Gallaries. It has also been a popular location for movie makers and has been the location for films such as Mad Max 2, A town like Alice, Outback Bound , In Pursuit of Honour, the US movie Badlands 2005 and Ring of Scorpio.
We have now travelled a total of 3127 km / 1943 miles since leaving home and we are amazed just how well the cars are going as we have had no issues at all. The support we are getting along the way is also amazing. No matter where we stop we soon attract an audience with all the usual questions. (where have you come from and where are you going. Where do you get tyres from and where is your support crew.)
We reached another milestone when we crossed the birder into South Australia.
It was great to reach Port Augusta today and see the ocean again after driving through all the dry interior. The view down to Port Augusta from the top of the mountains and seeing the upper reaches of the Spencer Gulf was truly amazing. An added bonus while we were taking in the view we met up with another Model A heading for Busselton for the National meet.
We have now arrived at Ceduna and will spend two nights here. The drive from Port Augusta to Ceduna was very pleasant. The countryside has greened up and it is mostly flat grain growing and sheep country.
Pic 1 Silverton Hotel
2 Artwork at Silverton
3 Rugged up against the cold
4 Start of a new day
5 Crossing the South Australian border
6 The long road head
7 Half way across Australia (at Kimba)
8 Looking down t Port Augusta and the Spencer Gulf.
Were the donkeys still roaming the streets of Silverton ?

The yanks would have loved to have seen a pic of the Model A beside the MAD MAX replica ... a 73 XB ford .

I think it was called The Road Warrior over there.

Last edited by pooch; 09-07-2014 at 01:41 PM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #65
RUNNERBUN

Hello all, We have now arrived at Nullarbor Roadhouse and are still on schedule and all is going very well. We have now run up 3465 km / 2153 miles. Had our rest day at Ceduna yesterday which started up with a beautiful morning listening to the gentle waves rolling in on the foreshore beside the Caravan/trailer park where we were camped.
Unfortunately the peace and tranquillity did not last for long. Within 2 hours of waking the severe winds started. We were buffeted by wind gusts of 40 to 50 knots. Despite the strong winds we managed to do some sight seeing and had quite a nice day.
Ceduna is situated on the sea front and serves as an export port for Wheat, grain, gypsum and salt. it is also famous for it's beautiful oysters which we treated ourselves to and at $9 per dozen for very large oysters represents great value.
The journey to The Nullarbor Roadhouse was very though going as we battled the severe headwinds all the way. The going was slower than we normally travel but despite that we did arrive in good time.
The severe winds look like continuing for another day or so. We decided to book into a cabin for the night otherwise we would not be getting any sleep. (I know, we're a bunch of softies).
Ceduna to Norseman (The Nullarbor Plains) is a distance of just over 1200 km and there is nothing but the occasional Roadhouse with a few cabins and a trailer park out the back. Nullarbor means (No Trees) so it's the No Tree PLain.

Until the next report
Runner

Pic
1 Grain Silos at Ceduna
2 A feast fit for a king
3 Ceduna Jetty
4 Beach at Ceduna
5 Morning tea at Nundroo Roadhouse
6 Look out for Camels, Kangaroos and Wombats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0568.JPG (87.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0576.JPG (89.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0578.JPG (87.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0548.JPG (97.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0584.JPG (117.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0586.JPG (97.0 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 10-29-2014 at 05:29 AM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #66
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Were the donkeys still roaming the streets of Silverton ?

The yanks would have loved to have seen a pic of the Model A beside the MAD MAX replica ... a 73 XB ford .

I think it was called The Road Warrior over there.

Yes, the donkeys are still there. Attached a picture for you to bring back some memories for you.
There is now a Museum set up for the Mad Max display and the XB Ford is now a part of the display and not on public display as in the past.
I was looking forward to getting the picture of the two cars together but it was not to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0405.JPG (106.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #67
stewwolfe

I'm glad the trip is still going well. I'm visiting Australia vicariously through you. Stay safe.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #68
RUNNERBUN

Hello all, again I'm very happy to report that we have been travelling well and that all cars are going strong. We have had a couple of minor issues with the cars, but more an inconvenience rather than a problem. The brothers model a had a flat tyre due to a failed tube, he also managed to drop his fuel cap after not screwing it back on when he refuelled. After looking along the side of the road and not finding it, it was located wedged in behind the side mounted spare. He also had a fan belt which was delaminating and needed to be replaced. (we carry a spare)
The Chevrolet is losing transmission oil which is travelling down the torque tube into the differential. He periodically has to drain the excess from the diff. and top up the transmission. Fortunately my "A" has not yet experienced any issues. (but I guess my turn will come)
We have now travelled a total of 4379 km / 2721 miles and have remained on schedule since the start.
My last report from Nullarbor roadhouse was that we were experiencing severe winds and that we had decided to take a cabin. About 2 hours later would you believe that the winds died and we could have camped in the trailers after all.
The next days travel (469 km) to Cocklebiddy we did experience reasonably heavy winds but not as severe as we had the previous leg.
Yesterdays drive to Norseman (445km) was an excellent drive with only light headwinds.
Today is a rest day, or as we call it. an RDO. (Rostered Day Off) We will do a little servicing and some sightseeing and just relaxing.
A unique feature across the Nullarbor is the emergency RFDS (Royal Flying Doctor Service) airstrips. These are about a 1 mile stretch of the highway which is designated as an emergency landing area for the RFDS. These appear at frequent intervals of approx. 50 miles. I don't know if this is done anywhere else in the world. An other point of interest along the Nullarbor is the Bunda Cliffs. These spectacular cliffs at 120 meters in height run for hundreds of miles along the south coast of Australia, we had hoped to do a scenic flight along the coast from the Nullarbor Roadhouse but unfortunately the severe winds grounded the aircraft. The other major point of interest along the way was the 90 mile straight. The longest straight road in Australia.

Until the next report.
Regards from Down Under.

Pictures.
1 The Bunda Cliffs
2 Cars at the Cliff tops
3 The Quail looking south to the Antarctic
4 Cars at the Bunda Cliff tops.
5 Fuel prices. $1.96 ltr regular unleaded. We have paid as high as $1.99
6 Crossing the border into West Australia
7 Emergency airstrip
8 At the start of the 90 mile straight
9 The endless road west.
10 Only flat at the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0598.JPG (80.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0603.JPG (101.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0611.JPG (58.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0614.JPG (108.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0616.JPG (100.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0618.JPG (113.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.JPG (78.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0640.JPG (85.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.JPG (67.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0621.JPG (95.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #69
Hoogah

Quote:
A unique feature across the Nullarbor is the emergency RFDS (Royal Flying Doctor Service) airstrips. These are about a 1 mile stretch of the highway which is designated as an emergency landing area for the RFDS. These appear at frequent intervals of approx. 50 miles. I don't know if this is done anywhere else in the world.
It is, or at least WAS done somewhere else, although I suspect not legally! In a previous life (c.1980s) I worked on the Darling Downs QLD as a cotton agronomist. This involved visiting farms to check for insect infestations and to monitor irrigation water use. Much of this was done via motor bike so we could get around paddocks as well as between farms. Some of the aerial spray contractors used the same back roads to land, refuel and top up their spray tanks with the help of a mobile ground crew. The scariest experience I had there was to have one of these planes come in to land on the road that I was riding down. It came over the top of me from behind as I rode down a dirt road on the bike, oblivious to any noise until this plane was just metres above my head and roaring, and touched down not all that far in front of me! I swear I almost fell off in fright. When I finally saw the pilot down the road at his pitstop, he was still falling about laughing!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #70
Bertha

It never rains in Calistralia?

Glad it's going so well.....envynenvyenvy.

Bob
Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #71
Brentwood Bob

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your adventures. Bob
Old 09-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #72
CarlG

Traveling blind?? I see that your headlights are covered. I suppose to prevent breakage.

Here in Alaska, we are required to travel with headlights on at all times, day or night. If we cover them on the sometimes unpaved roads, they have to be covered with something transparent so that the light will shine thru.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #73
mshmodela

Awesome photos Down Under A Folks! Just wonderful!! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #74
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Traveling blind?? I see that your headlights are covered. I suppose to prevent breakage.

Here in Alaska, we are required to travel with headlights on at all times, day or night. If we cover them on the sometimes unpaved roads, they have to be covered with something transparent so that the light will shine thru.
Carl its a big thread
post 59 and 61 explains the headlights...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #75
RUNNERBUN

Once again, hello to all. Time to report in again. We have now travelled a total 5576 km / 3456 miles and are now camped at the City of Albany which is only 380 km /240 miles from Busselton which is our destination for the Model A Ford National Meet. Unfortunately I have some good news and some bad news. Firstly the good news, both the the Model A's are performing well and still going strong and trouble free with only normal servicing along the way.
Unfortunately the Chevrolet will be arriving here at Albany on the back of a truck having suffered a bearing failure on number 3 connecting rod. The rod ran dry due to an unusual problem. The oil dipper on the end of the con rod is unlike that of the Model A which has the dipper built integral with the Rod cap. The oil dipper on the Chev is made from thin steel which is clamped in place using the two big end bolts. The dipper cracked and was dislodged. No dipper, no oil, no lubrication for the big end equals bearing failure. He will be staying on here at Albany where he should be able to have it repaired. Fortunately Albany has a strong vintage car following and he will get the required help. He will join up with us again after the meet at Busselton.
My last report was from Norseman where we had a scheduled rest day. On leaving Norseman we headed north and had a quick visit to Coolgardie before continuing on to Kalgoorlie where we did a bus tour through the Super Pit Mine. The Super pit mine is one of the largest gold mines in the world and produces over 850,000 ounces of gold each year. Look closely at the picture of the mine and at the centre top of the picture you will see some vehicles on the roadway. They huge trucks that weigh approximately 500 tons fully loaded which will give you some idea as to the size of this hole in the ground. The mine is now an open cut mine but in the past was all underground mining and the ground is full of mining shafts, so many that if you put them all end to end they would be about 1500 miles in length. The amount of material they shift now is unbelievable. A clue the wealth that this area has created is on show in the centre of the city at the top of the clock tower (see picture) That dome is covered in 24 carat pure gold.
From Kalgoorlie we travelled south again to Esperance which is a beautiful sea side township on the south coast. from Esperance we turned west again and on to Ravensthorpe. West Australia is renowned for it's wildflowers at this time of the year and the small township of Ravensthorpe celebrate the Wild Flower season with a two week festival which we were very fortunate to be there at the right time. On display were over 600 varieties of wild flowers. The variety and colours were absolutely spectacular.
Since the last report the weather has been perfect for driving with clear, dry and cool days. However the nights have certainly been too cold for us coming from the tropics.
The National Meet commences on Sunday 21st and with only 240 miles to go we will have a couple of spare days to play tourists and take in some of the many attractions this area has to offer.
My next report will be from th National Meet at Busselton if all continues going to plan, until then cheers to all.

Pics.
1 Tailings at the Norseman gold mine (Norseman produces 100,000 ounces p/y
2 corragated Iron sculptures at Norseman
3 Mining registry & Courthouse at Coolgardie
4 What happens when you get run over by a 500 ton truck
5 Super pit Mine at Kalgoorlie
6 Clock tower dome covered in 24 carat gold.
7 Beachside at Esperance
8,9,10 Wild flowers of West Australia
11 Bush Camping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0685.JPG (122.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703.JPG (123.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708.JPG (84.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0716.JPG (106.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0717.JPG (88.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0749.JPG (109.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0802.JPG (95.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0803.JPG (91.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0834.JPG (163.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0798.JPG (145.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 09-16-2014 at 05:49 PM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #76
Brentwood Bob

You guys need a subsidy from the austraulian turist bureau. This is all free advertising. Bob
Old 09-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #77
Bertha

Quote:
Once again, hello to all. Time to report in again. We have now travelled a total 5576 km / 3456 miles and are now camped at the City of Albany which is only 380 km /240 miles from Busselton which is our destination for the Model A Ford National Meet. Unfortunately I have some good news and some bad news. Firstly the good news, both the the Model A's are performing well and still going strong and trouble free with only normal servicing along the way.
Unfortunately the Chevrolet will be arriving here at Albany on the back of a truck having suffered a bearing failure on number 3 connecting rod. The rod ran dry due to an unusual problem. The oil dipper on the end of the con rod is unlike that of the Model A which has the dipper built integral with the Rod cap. The oil dipper on the Chev is made from thin steel which is clamped in place using the two big end bolts. The dipper cracked and was dislodged. No dipper, no oil, no lubrication for the big end equals bearing failure. He will be staying on here at Albany where he should be able to have it repaired. Fortunately Albany has a strong vintage car following and he will get the required help. He will join up with us again after the meet at Busselton.
My last report was from Norseman where we had a scheduled rest day. On leaving Norseman we headed north and had a quick visit to Coolgardie before continuing on to Kalgoorlie where we did a bus tour through the Super Pit Mine. The Super pit mine is one of the largest gold mines in the world and produces over 850,000 ounces of gold each year. Look closely at the picture of the mine and at the centre top of the picture you will see some vehicles on the roadway. They huge trucks that weigh approximately 500 tons fully loaded which will give you some idea as to the size of this hole in the ground. The mine is now an open cut mine but in the past was all underground mining and the ground is full of mining shafts, so many that if you put them all end to end they would be about 1500 miles in length. The amount of material they shift now is unbelievable. A clue the wealth that this area has created is on show in the centre of the city at the top of the clock tower (see picture) That dome is covered in 24 carat pure gold.
From Kalgoorlie we travelled south again to Esperance which is a beautiful sea side township on the south coast. from Esperance we turned west again and on to Ravensthorpe. West Australia is renowned for it's wildflowers at this time of the year and the small township of Ravensthorpe celebrate the Wild Flower season with a two week festival which we were very fortunate to be there at the right time. On display were over 600 varieties of wild flowers. The variety and colours were absolutely spectacular.
Since the last report the weather has been perfect for driving with clear, dry and cool days. However the nights have certainly been too cold for us coming from the tropics.
The National Meet commences on Sunday 21st and with only 240 miles to go we will have a couple of spare days to play tourists and take in some of the many attractions this area has to offer.
My next report will be from th National Meet at Busselton if all continues going to plan, until then cheers to all.

Pics.
1 Tailings at the Norseman gold mine (Norseman produces 100,000 ounces p/y
2 corragated Iron sculptures at Norseman
3 Mining registry & Courthouse at Coolgardie
4 What happens when you get run over by a 500 ton truck
5 Super pit Mine at Kalgoorlie
6 Clock tower dome covered in 24 carat gold.
7 Beachside at Esperance
8,9,10 Wild flowers of West Australia
11 Bush Camping

Somebody steeled the 24k clock tower!!!!!!

This is one fun trip.

Bob
Old 09-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #78
RUNNERBUN

Sorry about the Gold clock tower. Missed the picture. Will attach here.
We had another good day today and are only 140 km from Busselton and the National meet. An update on our friend with the Chevrolet, he is well underway to having his car back on the road again. Had a lot of luck finding the right person to do the required repairs.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #79
RUNNERBUN

Picture Gold clock tower
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0729.JPG (51.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #80
RUNNERBUN

Hello to all again. Well, we made it. We have now arrived at Busselton for the National Meet. A 6060 km / 3765 mile journey over a 24 day period, and what an enjoyable journey it has been so far. we now look forward to relaxing and enjoying the Rally for the next week or so which will be a welcome change from setting up camp each day.
I am so pleased and proud of the performance of my Phaeton, other than lubrication and oil changes the only other adjustments necessary have been a Fan belt adjustment and a Water Pump gland nut adj. Oil consumption has been 2 quarts for the 6060 km journey and a couple of cups of water for the radiator.
The brothers model A has also performed well other than some small problems with the starter motor.
Our travelling companion with the Chevrolet who had the big end problem on number three piston should be on the road again sometime later today. He was very fortunate to find an excellent German tradesman who was only to willing to do the necessary repair despite having a 5 week back log of work he worked back after hours to get the car back on the road quickly. He converted the Babbitt rod to a slipper type bearing utilising a bearing from some Toyota.

Before leaving Albany we did some fantastic sight seeing around the area. Albany is a coastal city with a population of some 60,000. and has magnificent coastal views. Albany was used as the departure point for our soldiers during world war 1 due to the protected harbour offer by the King George Sound. During the war a convoy of 54 ships gathered in the harbour carrying 40,000 Australian and New Zealand soldiers and 17,000 horses and departed for the battle fields of Gallipoli and Europe. To many of them never to return. Situated on a high hill overlooking King George Sound is a most impressive Memorial dedicated to those brave men.

We are now camped at a caravan park situated on the water front and next door to rally headquarters. Many of the rally participants will be staying here. It has been great to catch up with friends we see only every two years and make new ones as well. Approximately 15 Model A'rs are here at the park already.
Pictures:
1 Cliff top at Albany
2 War Memorial at Albany
3 War Memorial at Albany
4 Tree top walk. 600 metre boardwalk, 40 metre high in the canopy
5 Camp at Busselton
6 What it's all about. catching up with friends. (Happy Hour)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.JPG (92.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0882.JPG (61.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0888.JPG (63.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0908.JPG (183.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0936.JPG (129.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0937.JPG (136.1 KB, 102 views)