Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
HELENT

Default Super 97

What do you barn people think of speedway super 97s carbs
HELENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Modelacrazyq

Default Re: Super 97

Haven't tried one, but have seen lots of negative writings on them. Seems they are made overseas, and the base is cast aluminum, not iron like the originals.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I also read lots of negative posts and written reports on these "9 Super 7's" as they are called. Now that was 2-3 years ago. Maybe the problems with these carburetors have been corrected by now, but don't really know for sure. I did talk to Speedy Bill in person a couple years ago at Hershey and he denied ever having any problems whatsoever (no one ever likes to admit their baby is ugly) with these and he said, at that time, they were flying off the shelf as fast as he could get them in from China.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-23-2013 at 07:13 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
HELENT

I have two of his carbs running no problems but cannot run air cleaner to rich with 43 jets
HELENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
joe plumber

I was at Speedway Motors last weekend .According to the counter people the carbs are selling like hot cakes .There were a few problems when they first came out ,just like anything thats new . I'm going to purchase a pair when I get finished with a few of my other projects .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
no6

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'm running a pair on a tall Weiand, if the car sets several days you have to pump it to get it started (no chokes) but once it starts it will keep starting right up. It's on a Merc flathead and they are a little over a year old. When I got them I had to tighten a few things up but other than that I have no complaints. I just bought 4 more for my Hemi.
no6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
uncle max

Nine out of ten Chinese hotrodders can't be wrong.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle max View Post
Sticks and stones
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
uncle max

Good luck when the throttleplates dig into the soft aluminum bores and stick, or worse, go past center. You'll be in for a wild ride in your rickshaw. Of course, if safety is not an issue and only 2nd best will do, go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
Sticks and stones
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
mtflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I was at Speedway Motors last weekend .According to the counter people the carbs are selling like hot cakes .There were a few problems when they first came out ,just like anything thats new . I'm going to purchase a pair when I get finished with a few of my other projects .

Not poking you with a stick Joe, but that's kinda like your buddy asking you, "My girlfriend's pretty isn't she?"

What do you expect Speedway's salesmen to say? What I'd rather hear is how many have come back.....

Just playin' devil's advocate.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
joe plumber

Quote:
Good luck when the throttleplates dig into the soft aluminum bores and stick, or worse, go past center. You'll be in for a wild ride in your rickshaw. Of course, if safety is not an issue and only 2nd best will do, go for it.
If we all assumed what "if "and "when "The world would be a terrible place and we would all still be living in the Stone Age ."If" my aunt would have had testicles ,she would have been my uncle .

Last edited by joe plumber; 09-23-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflat View Post
Not poking you with a stick Joe, but that's kinda like your buddy asking you, "My girlfriend's pretty isn't she?"

What do you expect Speedway's salesmen to say? What I'd rather hear is how many have come back.....

Just playin' devil's advocate.
Hey ,I am just telling you what they said and they did say that there were some problems ,as I stated. Also if my buddy asked me about his girlfriend ,I would tell him the truth.Afterall the guy is my buddy .
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
LOL Max
I actually met a Chinese antique car collector at one of the hotels we stayed at on our way home from Lake Tahoe in June. For all I know he could have been into hotrods as well. He was fascinated with all of our early Ford V-8's. I tried to sign him up for membership in the EFV-8C/A. True story. I even helped him fill out the application for a one year free membership.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 09-23-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
LOL Max
I actually met a Chinese antique car collector at one of the hotels we stay at on our way home from Lake Tahoe in June. For all I know he could have been into hotrods as well. He was fascinated with all of our early Ford V-8's. I tried to sign him up for membership in the EFV-8C/A.
One down and only eight more to go .They gotta be out there .LOL.I am amazed.I posted one statement and you would think I committed a major crime,what the hell.Some people need to get a life .

Last edited by joe plumber; 09-23-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
flatmotor40

Ive had Super97 for 4yrs and had no problems except this crappy gas that the gov has stuffed down our mouth.But for a $1 more you can get no corn go figure make more money oil company.But the 97's do run fine and all the rechrome you buy for your car along with a lot of other stuff is Tawain
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
bluardun

Helent: Your question was what people think about the "Speedway 97 carbs". We recently replaced the old worn out orig. 97 on my sons' '32. We concidered the price, service, and quaility of several "97" venders. We decided to purchase one from Uncle Max. I have never been more pleased with a carb. service, and advice. We took it out of the well packed box and bolted it on. Started right up. No leaks, drips, or problems. Money well spent. The man is a real gentleman. Both he and his carbs. are an asset to our hobby.
Thanks
Bill Herbert
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
LOL Max
I actually met a Chinese antique car collector at one of the hotels we stayed at on our way home from Lake Tahoe in June. For all I know he could have been into hotrods as well. He was fascinated with all of our early Ford V-8's. I tried to sign him up for membership in the EFV-8C/A. True story. I even helped him fill out the application for a one year free membership.

I wonder if he has a brand new V8 Ford made with Chinese parts...LOL

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

I am very happy with the rebuilt original Stromberg 97's, 48's and 81's that I have on my cars. "IF" I ever buy a new carburetor for any of my old Fords it would definitely NOT be the 9 super 7 from Speedway. I would go the extra dollars for the Stromberg 97 made in England and I would definitely get it from Uncle Max. He takes good care of his customers. I know this from personal experience, not just echoing what others are saying.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
gmc1941

JM 35 Sedan, X2. Uncle Max is the Guru and the best. He stands by the best warranty and gives fast service.

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
gkgeiger

I'm patiently waiting for my new 97's from Max. No big hurry though, the intake hasn't arrived and I'm getting a new knee in a couple weeks. I gave this carb. thing a lot of thought and decided Max was the man.