Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
grumppyoldman

Default Banjo axles where to buy

I have a 41 ford with an axle that the threads are messed up. I only have about half a nut of threads and they don't look good. Can you guys help me with a source for axles, I don't have it apart yet so I don't know what tooth count is on the axle, it is the one on the passenger side. I've heard both axles are the same length, but don't know what that is either. Any help would be appreciated. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Frank Miller

Default Re: Banjo axles where to buy

Try the early ford store in san dimas ca
Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
grumppyoldman

Thanks Frank, I had searched and found only used axles, in bad shape as mine. Al
Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
I have a 41 ford with an axle that the threads are messed up. I only have about half a nut of threads and they don't look good. Can you guys help me with a source for axles, I don't have it apart yet so I don't know what tooth count is on the axle, it is the one on the passenger side. I've heard both axles are the same length, but don't know what that is either. Any help would be appreciated. Al
Michael Driskell at Third Generation Automotive may have an NOS or good used one for sale.
I had a couple used axles like you need that were actually as good as any NOS that I had ever seen. They sold very quickly though.

https://m.facebook.com/Third-Gen-Aut...1476857296508/

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-29-2017 at 12:35 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
tubman

If worse comes to worse, I've got a couple I've had for years that appear to be in good shape that are just taking up space in my shop. I've had them so long that I don't remember what they are out of (I think 46-48 Ford). If you can't find anything else, get back to me.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
grumppyoldman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the info. I didn't get to work on it today, not feeling well and have a Dr. appt. tomorrow. Worked too hard yesterday I guess, age getting to me like everyone else my age. Al
Old 06-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
barnfind08

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Michael Driskell at Third Generation Automotive may have an NOS or good used one for sale.
I had a couple used axles like you need that were actually as good as any NOS that I had ever seen. They sold very quickly though.

https://m.facebook.com/Third-Gen-Aut...1476857296508/
I have some nice used ones I have owned for some40 years. They were not all that old when I got them. $90.00 plus postage. 16 teeth 1938-41
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
grumppyoldman

Thanks barnfind08 I think mine will be a 16 tooth gear which is listed as for being for a 41 will have the rear end out tomorrow, I hope. The axle is bent I think. The brake drum wobbles enough to see it move in and out on the back plate. Put the other brake drum from other side and it wobbles also. Think I have it narrowed down now. Made me a spring spreader today, think it is going to work ok. See pics. Al

Last edited by grumppyoldman; 02-07-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
ford38v8

Al, That's an interesting looking spring spreader. I wouldn't use it, myself, due to the sensitive nature of the task, and how my hands would tremble as I consider how close I would be to my maker.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:45 AM   #10
1932tub

The principle is no different to the Ford spring spreader. I have used an aftermarket one a lot with no detriment.
1932tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Al, That's an interesting looking spring spreader. I wouldn't use it, myself, due to the sensitive nature of the task, and how my hands would tremble as I consider how close I would be to my maker.
I say you are correct. Double jeopardy, if the ratchet pawl hangs up it could kick back and spit out. Or, just the pull of the handle when the pressure is serious might set it free. BOING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1932tub View Post
The principle is no different to the Ford spring spreader. I have used an aftermarket one a lot with no detriment.
You could say that, principle yeah, But execution nuh-uh.

Last edited by A bones; 07-03-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
yes it is a scary job

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
Bored&Stroked

I hate ALL spring spreaders . . . always 'respect the spring' and where it is headed if the spreader somehow comes loose!

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
TagMan

grumpy,

You say you're an 'old man' and if so, you got there by a combination of luck, good genes and brains. Take a good look at your spreader and look for any defects in design or execution before you jump into using it. We'd hate to see you get hurt. Just saying........
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't get to work on it today, not feeling well and have a Dr. appt. tomorrow. Worked too hard yesterday I guess, age getting to me like everyone else my age. Al
Hey Al,
Sorry you are not feeling/doing well. Am there and doing that also.
IMO, if you are intent on using your spreader creation, I'd think about using a chain wrap for backup when using spreader.
Even LARGE C clamps afford a modicum of safety when used to help with this job. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #16
supereal

I use a floor jack under the ends of the spring to remove the shackle bars while supporting the frame with stands. I just jack the end up until the tension is removed. We have a Port-A-Power, but the jack works without taking a chance that the spreader will fly out. The spring tension is dangerous, and great cauton is advised.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #17
john in illinois

Al,since you are removing rear end, you might consider leaving the spring on it and unbolting spring from crossmember. Take it out as a unit. Easier to deal with spring while not under car.
Supereais method also sounds safer.
John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #18
V Clark

hey Al, think about removing as a unit as it will have to be done twice ... remove and reinstall. At the right height and tools it will be a heck of a lot easier in the shop or garage or flat surface. Then you can rebuild the stack if you want and install new shackles same time .. I am a determined person and know it can be done both ways .. but now days I tend to try to make my life easier.. I still don't stay in the lines though ... ha ha enjoy that day and have fun .be safe.. van
V Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #19
grumppyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind08 View Post
I have some nice used ones I have owned for some40 years. They were not all that old when I got them. $90.00 plus postage. 16 teeth 1938-41
Barnfind08 I would be interested in one of your axles. Mine has 16 teeth and measures 31 and 3/4" as best as I can tell, the end of the axle has had some rough treatment. If I had known how it looked I don't think I would have driven it. Are the threads in good condition on yours, and is it straight. The good axle measures 31 and 13/16. Contact [email protected] thanks. Al

Last edited by grumppyoldman; 07-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #20
grumppyoldman

Working by myself I had to do the job the best I could. Ill admit I was a little shakey taking the spring out, but it came out without a hitch. I know the old saying about (I've done it this way all my life) but it only takes once to really get hurt. Thanks for the concern, now to get it all back in. Al