Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2021, 04:27 AM   #81
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Auction of Gene Hetland's mostly '32 parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
The auction prices on the cars confused me... a 4 door sold for the same amount as a roadster pickup (60k), and a 2 door sedan brought darn close to a 3w coupe.. a neat collection of cars that in my opinion the restored cars brought way less than anticipated
Wow. That's crazy.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #82
Farley's34

The auctioned revealed the "new market" for quality 32's whether they be original, restored or traditional hot rods. And yes I agree the number of people interested in old cars continues to dwindle, but the number of high quality cars is limited and continues to dwindle as well. Therefore I believe the majority of Gene's cars will hold their value.
Farley's34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #83
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I enjoyed watching the Auction on the internet. The one that sold for 300,000 blew my mind. I wonder who bought it? The 32 will always hold there value after we are gone.Its nice to own one. Dave books have been a super great help on keeping the 32's as Henry built them. A lot of people would have like to own at least one of them. My Grand Daughter is going to get my Junkers and what she does with them is up to her. She the only one that wants to help me with them.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #84
IndianapolisRacer

As an owner of two 1932s I was curious where the early Ford hobby was trending so I attended the auction prepared to bid the top of the preauction estimates on the 32 three window hotrods and I was even able to bid on one before the bids flew by me . It was a fun event and I would not have missed it . The 2 gray headed gentlemen who were bidding at the end on the chopped 3 window clearly wanted that beauty and I don't blame them ! After the auction I know where I am headed on my 32s, early authentic hotrods , I love the look and enhanced drivability they represent .
IndianapolisRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #85
HD

The big shot car auctions RUINED RUINED RUINED the old car hobby, in my mind they are all LOOSERS,, and anyone who buys cars at those auctions and pay those inflated car prices and crazy way to high buyers premiums deserve what they get, and one of the first companies to have these auctions now makes you hire one of there car haulers to transport a car if you buy it BUYER BEWARE
HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #86
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Antique Cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. What we think what a car sold for has little value. It does not change the price. Like the 32 that sold for 300,000 it took two or more to get that price to what it sold for.That up to them.Sometimes it makes me scratch my head. So be it.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #87
38bill

I got to sit in that big buck car when I was at Gene's place. First and only chopped '32 I have ever been in and it's a beauty for sure. I don't follow '32 values but it looks like they held up very well in todays market.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #88
Ian NZ

I see they had parts in boxes of 1932 Ford Grigsby & Grunow radios parts for sale there I thought I would go after them but if they had a 23% premium that would put price right up.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:51 PM   #89
DavidG

One went for $20 and the other $25 (plus 23%); real bargains if one was looking for '32-'33 radio parts.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:40 PM   #90
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
One went for $20 and the other $25 (plus 23%); real bargains if one was looking for '32-'33 radio parts.
I was to slow.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #91
BoxCar Tom

I was there, I recorded the $ Numbers as best as I could. As soon as one auction is over its instantly on to the next one.

Lot 105, Restored Victoria, $70,000.

Lot 106, Restored Sedan Delivery, $75,000.

Lot 107 Restored Station Wagon $125,000.

Lot 108, Restored Convertible Sedan, $130,000.

Lot 109, Restored 3 Window Coupe, $75,000.

Lot 110, Restored Deluxe Roadster, $62,000.

Lot 111, Hot Rod Deluxe 3 Window Coupe, $300,000.

Lot 112, Hot Rod Triple Nickel Roadster, $210,000.

Lot 113, Hot Rod Unfinished Roadster, $100,000.

Lot 114, Early Chassis, $16,500.

Lot 115, Original Deluxe 3 Window Coupe, $100,000.

Lot 116, Restored Roadster Pickup, $60,000.

Lot 117, Hot Rod 3 Window Coupe, $140.000.

Lot 118, Restored Pickup, $55,000.

Lot 119, Original Deluxe Phaeton, $112,500.

Lot 120, Original Deluxe Cabriolet, $85,000.

Lot 121, Original Deluxe Roadster, $200,000.

Lot 122, Original Standard 5 Window Coupe. $95,000.

Lot 123, Original Standard 2 Tudor Sedan, $85,000.

Lot 124, Original Deluxe Fordor Sedan, $60,000.

Last edited by BoxCar Tom; 05-24-2021 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #92
BoxCar Tom

Talked with the guy who bought the 300K 3W coupe, said he was not going home without it. He was happy, knew exactly what he was buying. All the speed equipment was authentic, modifications, construction, finish all perfection, could not be duplicated today for that price.

On the other end of the spectrum, the low sn chassis, had to persuade bidders up to 16.5 What's the future for an aged museum piece, build a restored car when the value of restored cars is flat or down? 16.5 as the foundation for a hot rod? what are you going to use, the grill shell?

Also talked to the guy (agent) who bought both the phaeton and the original roadster. He was very pleased. Laser focused on originality.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #93
BoxCar Tom

Regarding the on-line parts auctions. Someone told me Tiffany was in charge from beginning to end. Communications, sent msg on the 18th response on the 19th, faster response would have been helpful. Organized, yes, knowledgeable about this particular type of parts? no. Detailed, accurate descriptions, no. Clear defining pictures, no.

My own personal experience. Lot 2713 "Early Ford Shackles" (dog bones) Eight shackles pictured, 4 front, 4 rear. NOS not in the description, not one word about quantity or quality. When I bid $30. I felt a bit stupid but I was actually cleaning up a set for my car. Add 8.6% tax $2.58. add 23% premium $6.90, Total $39.48, really stupid. Unit price $5.00 Add shipping, brain dead. On balance I had $30. in time on the 4 used pieces. I'm a sucker for good quality. Picked up the parts on Friday am, saved on shipping, not brain dead yet. Opened the bag, 4 rear shackles, 28 front shackles. Unit price $1.25

Lot 2738 Early Ford Inside Door Handles, Two door handles and a repro window crank knob pictured. Description - 3 window. Bid $130. Im happy. Add 8.6% tax $11.18, add 23% premium $29.90, Total $171.08, I'm still happy but not as happy. Opened the bag on Friday, 5 NOS handles. Back to HAPPY + a friend wants to buy the extra 3 handles, more happy.

I won't go into details about the 3rd lot I bought, in short it included one item I've been hunting for years, given the deficient description and crap pictures, it was an expensive leap of faith. I'm really really really stupid HAPPY.

If the descriptions were better, if the pictures were better I would have been a more aggressive buyer, A LOT MORE AGGRESSIVE

Last edited by BoxCar Tom; 05-24-2021 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #94
VeryTangled

Not sure if everyone saw the custom catalog for the Hetland portion of the auction.

https://mecum.dcatalog.com/v/Gene-Hetlands-Deuceheaven/

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #95
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Not sure if everyone saw the custom catalog for the Hetland portion of the auction.

https://mecum.dcatalog.com/v/Gene-Hetlands-Deuceheaven/
Thank you for sharing. Well done! Those 3 window hot rods made me weak in the knees.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #96
DavidG

The catalog is handsome and the considerable cost of its creation harkens back to my earlier comment about the cost to create and administer a package extravaganza like this one. (I'd like it even better if they had spelled my name correctly on page 84.)
Old 05-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #97
DavidG

Tom,

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #98
BoxCar Tom

I wish Mecum put as much effort into the parts lot descriptions and photography as they did on the cars. Return on investment, labor to profit ratio, Parts, high labor effort, low premium fee, Cars, low labor effort, high premium fee. What would you do?

The GH parts as a whole were probably worth $300K to $450K if properly defined, photographed and marketed. To me the parts auctions were a fire sale with Mecum running for the exit.

Dave, I understand what your saying about the cost/ effort to put on such a production. Keep in mind, $10. to park each day, $30. to get in each day. $80.00 for two days OR $50. for parking for 5 days and $200. to get in for 5 days, just multiply that by the number of attendees. $200 to register to bid, felt compelled to bid to win so the fee is worth something.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #99
DavidG

Tom,

I absolutely agree that the parts auction had to be bust from Gene's perspective. If you or I had walked into his place a month or so before he had committed to Mecum to sell the parts through them and we had offered him $110K for all of his parts at that time, he would have thrown us out on our ear.

All good, fair points regarding the various fees. On the other side of the ledger, I doubt if the State of Indiana let them have the run of the place without a cut of the parking fees and use of space in the many buildings that they occupied. As an aside, on Thursday, thanks to the helpfulness of two friendly Mecum employees, I paid nothing for parking in the driveway of one of the closed entrances to where the parts were kept, nor an admission fee, and got a free golf cart ride to and from the entrance with the driver helping me load and unload my parts on to and off his golf cart. Maybe I am starting to look my age.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #100
VeryTangled

Mecum has a deal with NBCSports Group through 2024 to telecast numerous yearly events. I didn't see how much that deal is worth, but it can't be pennies.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote