Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #121
bwood53

Default Re: Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

What's a Chevy? Isn't that the actor from national lampoons?
bwood53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #122
Butch11443

I preferred nailheads back in the late 50's - 60's. All my buddies were running small blocks in everything. I had a nailhead in a 49 Hudson & a 51 Mercury. Run the into the ground. :-)
I also preferred flatheads back then, but did better on the street with the nailheads.
PS I'm running a flathead, a y-block and a 350 in different vehicles right now.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #123
PhoenixFear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
Installing a SBC in an old flathead, does not involve cutting the firewall. Installing a newer Ford engine, calls for the firewall to be cut and altered. I would never do either.
MIKE
I'm not too sure on this as I've never done the conversion, but I wonder how the firewall would need to be cut for a SBF vs. not with a SBC? I knew a guy who helped fix up I believe a '40 coupe, which had a SBC in it and some other stuff. He said something to the effect that the firewall still needed cutting and since the distributor is in the back, good luck doing tune-ups.
As my truck sits it is set-up to run whatever engine I can fit. Some days I really want to shove a 302 in it because since it has been hacked up already I am going through a ton of work to put a Flathead back in.
In any regard, I'm on quite a few different forums for a few very different vehicles and there is usually a section for putting an SBC in stuff.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #124
ford38v8

Replace fuel pump & filter:
El Camino = 3 hours
Any flathead = 1/4 hour

Replace spark plugs:
El Camino = 3 hours
Anyt flathead = 1/4 hour

Replace El Camino = take it please
Replace any flathead = not gonna happen
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #125
Mike in AZ

hmmmm, what year El Camino??...lol....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #126
GEOFFNZ

Well this is all a bit ridiculous really.I have worked on flatheads for 50 years and have a '38 Ford sedan with original flathead and also race a flathead special.Of course the flathead is one of the alltime great engines and I am very fond of them both. I also run a '79 Camaro and that SBC is one very sweet engine on the highway.They are both great engines and both generate lots of nostalgia so lets just enjoy them and get on with using them.
GEOFFNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #127
4tl8ford

If you don't understand a Flathead buy a Honda
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
1948 Ford F1 Panel (Frame off resto-rod)
1946 Ford Coupe (Basket case)
4tl8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #128
jimTN

Let us not forget adjusting the valves once a week in the garbage truck engine. A 221 will run fast enough to kill you and keep pace on the highway. All the other junk is good for is bragging rights.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #129
Walt Dupont--Me.

I'm glade I didn't put my nose in this stupid thread, woooppp, what did I do, dame. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #130
Henry Floored

Is "sacrilege" the correct word? Probably. Put the shoe on the other foot and let's see what happens. Transplant a Ford heart into brand x vehicles en masse and you'll hear plenty of moans.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #131
32phil

In general, once the 265 Chevy was readily available from junkyards Hot Rodders driving Flatheads began swapping Chevies into their Ford cars. The Chevy came stock with close to 60+ horsepower over the ford flathead. Adapter kits were cheap and the Chevy went in with minor mods to the chassis/body. Speed parts were also reasonable. A 265 Chevy with a 4 barrel, headers and mild cam would make a lot more power than a comparably equipped flathead. Looks or Brand loyalty had nothing to do with the decision. I remember in 1954 watching some Hot Rodders swapping a Merc flathead into a Ford just because it was 15hp more. Guys would kill for 60 horse more.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #132
dude

Check this out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 389210444.jpg (26.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_m4qtbvkrJ31qej3klo1_500.jpg (86.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #133
sanborn

Two comments about this topic-------
1. You can install a SBF into a 36 to 40 Ford. You need to pay attention to components like use of the short water pump and use of an electric pusher fan instead of a mechanical fan. A true rear sump oil pan is required if using the original suspension/crossmember.

My 40 sedan uses a 289/C4 and it fits without any alteration to the frame, X-member or firewall.

2. The real reason most early Fords used the SBC instead of the SBF is that the GM engine was smaller, ran cooler and would run circles around the Y block engine. By the time Ford brought out a good small block, it was around 1966 and the die was already cast for the SBC.
sanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #134
richard crow

hears what i say. if you live in a place where there is light trafic the flathead is fine .but put it in heavy trafic were it could take a hour to go three miles the flathead will proulbey overheat. a sb chevy with the big ford rad will not over heat. so i think where you live has a lot to do with eng choice .plus if done right the flathead can be put back in if you want with no proulbem. i know there are guys that say the flathead if done right woun,t over heat. these guys have never been on the l.i.e. on sunday night in the summer.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #135
Motorhead6

[/QUOTE]The real reason most early Fords used the SBC instead of the SBF is that the GM engine was smaller, ran cooler and would run circles around the Y block engine. By the time Ford brought out a good small block, it was around 1966 and the die was already cast for the SBC.[/QUOTE]

Obviously from some one who never ran a 265 or 283 against a Y-Block. I will concede that with the introduction of the 327 and more so the 350, the Y-Block was doomed. Prior to that there was no doubt that a decent 272, 292 or 312 was not to be denied. The home made 301 or 302cid Chevy(same thing) ran well, but still no match for a well built 312.

Comparing a 327 or 350 against the Y is not a fair fight considering technology advances by the time they were produced('62), the size advantage, and the fact that Ford stopped developing the Y long prior('57).
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #136
Step-down

There isn't any debate ........Flathead Rule ....
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #137
Straightpipes

I cannot count how many Ford flathead engine us young fellas pulled out of those Ford cars and threw them in the scrap heap. That was in the late 50s early 60s and very few people wanted a flathead ford engine in their heap. It was Chevy, Olds, Buick, anything but a Ford.
Now I have a 34 P/U and a 35 Coupe and both have souped up Ford flatheads in them.
A few years ago I discovered a set of Navarro heads in my barn that I wrapped up and put away in 1963. Isn't that something?
I go to a show or a drive-in and people trip over those 350/350s to get a look at my old flatheads.........
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #138
Richard

If you have a Ford use the Ford engine. If you have a Mercury use the Mercury engine. If you don't want the Flat head Ford v8 I will take it. If you got a Chevrolet car put a Chevrolet engine in it. It is true 1932 engine mounts bolt to a small block Chevrolet. That being said, I would love to make a hot rod Lincoln v12 in a gow job.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #139
Motorhead6

I have nothing against SBC. I have raced them in roundy-rounds with success along with Mercury, Ford, Buick and Pontiac. I have had several Chebbies including my 1st 3 cars that were '56 Bel Air, '55 Bel Air, '61 Corvair, and several others including a '67 Camaro and a '94 Camaro. No complaints. SBC's are great little packages. That said, if I had a Chevy today, it would have a really cool 348, 409 or built up 6. Anything prior to '55 would have nothing but a six. Because SBC's are so common and in every thing from VW's to Jaguars, I don't want one.

Oh, you do? Great have at it and enjoy. There are lots of cool Chevies you can put it in.

One of the great things about doing Fords is that there is such a wide selection of engines to opt for. I have an FE in an Edsel, a Y-Block in a '55 and a flathead in a '51 Vicky. I love each and every one and all of their peculiarities.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #140
Tim Armstrong

I love my old Fords, some with a chevy some with a flathead......just sit back and enjoy the style and good looks ........and keep on trucking.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote