Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Sid

Default F2 and F250 backing plates

Has anyone ever used the early 50's truck backing plated and the 45 fin Buick drums? I have done several of these conversions but always used Wilson welding Bendix backing plates and hubs and drilled the drums to desired bolt pattern. So I only use the Buick drum and not the hub. Sometimes I need to put the hub and drum on a lathe and slightly trim the area for the backing plate lip but has always worked well. Right now I am considering pulling my 40 Ford backing plates of my 34 Ford and going to Bendix style brakes. It has Buick drums already. I just want to upgrade to Bendix. So I am looking for the easiest and economical route. So question being what will work better? The early Ford or the Wilson Welding backing plates or is it a toss up? If Ford works well what is better the F2 or the F250 53-56? And would I want front backings only or do rears work also? Should I assume the F3 and F350 is the same as the F250? Hopefully someone has been down this road already. Just thinking early Ford backings may be a little cheaper then the Wilsons.

Last edited by Sid; 08-06-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: F2 and F250 backing plates

I've done several with the 49-52 F250 backing plates. I've also changed a few 41-48 backing plates on cars with Buick drums over to Lincoln but I like MT Lincoln backing plates better. There's a guy on here that from time to time sells F250 rebuilt and loaded backing plates for 295.00.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Has anyone ever used the early 50's truck backing plated and the 45 fin Buick drums? Hopefully someone has been down this road already. Just thinking early Ford backings may be a little cheaper then the Wilsons.

Hey Sid.....I've been down the F-250/Buick drum path, WITH A TWIST! More on that in a minute. You stated that you "just want Bendix-type brakes". The SIMPLEST, and likely most-economical way to do that overall is to use MT Products' (I wouldn't use ANY other brand...period!) brand new backing plates with the stock drums. $400-ish, bolt 'em on, and GO!

Now, a little more creatively, over ten years ago before the MTs were really out there with the 'bugs' worked-out, I wanted to replace the sorry GM disc brakes that a previous owner had put on the front of my '40 coupe. In addition, I wanted to retain the Chevy 4-3/4" bolt pattern that we already had. In short, I designed a method to machine-away the DISC portion from the hub on the Camaro discs which had already been adapted to my '40 spindles with readily available cheap adapter kits. A little more machine work to mate the Buick drums to the Camaro hubs, bolt-up the freshly-rebuilt F-250 backing plates, and VOILA....an easy way to accomplish the self-energizing brakes, AND retain the wheel bolt pattern I wanted. Below is a link to the entire link I posted ten years ago over on the H.A.M.B. that describes the reasoning, planning, machining procedures from start to finish, as well as oodles of pictures of the machining process from beginning to end. If nothing else, the LENGTHY thread serves-up a lot of food for thought when considering such a swap. Click the link below! Let us know what you think. This is the first time I've posted this over here on the FordBarn. DD

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...issues.481073/

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Sid

You mention MT brand. I'm not familiar with them. Who carries them? Speedy Bill? How do they compare with Wilson welding and can you buy just the loaded backing plates as I already have the Buick drums on the car. It's been a long time but I think my backing plates are 46 Ford and I am running the drums inboard. The last 4 I have done were drum outboard.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
You mention MT brand. I'm not familiar with them. Who carries them? Speedy Bill? How do they compare with Wilson welding and can you buy just the loaded backing plates as I already have the Buick drums on the car. It's been a long time but I think my backing plates are 46 Ford and I am running the drums inboard. The last 4 I have done were drum outboard.

Sid...."MT" is "MT Car Products", owned and operated by the Boling Bros. Everyone I know that has used their brake parts has ordered direct....no screw-ups that way! These things WORK! And yes, you can purchase the 'loaded' backing plates ONLY. I remember hearing that Wilson's backing plates sometimes were difficult to center the shoes because the big pin at the top was not adjustable. But everyone NOW-a-days is tickled with AUTHENTIC "MT" stuff! Link to MT Car Products below! Check-out their entire web site. DD

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Brakes.html

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Krylon32

I've sold lots of Boling Bros/MT Lincoln brakes with no problems. I always give a 10% discount to all Ford Barn or HAMB members. Also V8COOPMAN there are some of us dealers who don't screw up!
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I've sold lots of Boling Bros/MT Lincoln brakes with no problems. I always give a 10% discount to all Ford Barn or HAMB members. Also V8COOPMAN there are some of us dealers who don't screw up!

Had NO intention of implying that YOU (and several others) are anything but "righteous". In fact, now knowing that "Krylon32" is a dealer, I would wholeheartedly recommend his past history and reputation, and that 10% thing ain't bad, either! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
corvette8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I've done several with the 49-52 F250 backing plates. I've also changed a few 41-48 backing plates on cars with Buick drums over to Lincoln but I like MT Lincoln backing plates better. There's a guy on here that from time to time sells F250 rebuilt and loaded backing plates for 295.00.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284548
Rich b sells f1 and f2
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote