Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 AM   #21
Ritzy1

Default Re: Neutral safety switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by albjerryg View Post
I have a 1941 ford coupe(12 volt) with the original standard transmission (3 on tree) and it does not have a neutral safety switch. Does anyone know where one can be bought for the 1941 Ford. thanks Jerry
My 48 had a switch of some type attached to the shift linkage at the bottom of the column (see photo). I searched for it on a wiring diagram but it didn't show it. I didn't investigate too much further because I am switching to a floor shift. I'd need to look to see if I still have the switch. I may have tossed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12428_LI (2).jpg (78.5 KB, 18 views)
Ritzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #22
scooder

I'm amazed a clutch or neutral safety switch was normally fitted on standard shift stuff from 1967 up over there.
I've never seen such a thing fitted over here (England) and the vast majority of stuff over here is standard shift. We always start in neutral or with the clutch down.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #23
albjerryg

yes that make sense and is done in most cases. But when you head is under the dash and tracing wire out with a voltmeter in one hand and flipping the switch on an off to check the wiring it not too hard to switch it one notch too far and the car starts????Thanks jerry
albjerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #24
dwaynec

You've gotten some pretty good suggestions here to keep it from happening.

That is a might nice looking '41 coupe.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #25
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzy1 View Post
My 48 had a switch of some type attached to the shift linkage at the bottom of the column (see photo). I searched for it on a wiring diagram but it didn't show it. I didn't investigate too much further because I am switching to a floor shift. I'd need to look to see if I still have the switch. I may have tossed it.
Probably an aftermarket backup light switch.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #26
Mart

Countless millions of cars have been built without such a safety device. I am going to possibly come across as a little harsh, but it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure the vehicle is operated in a safe manner.

Take responsibility for your own actions. Check the car is in neutral before turning on the ignition and starting.

You are your own neutral safety device.

The wiring harness you have is probably a street rod item and caters for an automatic transmission where such an item is necessary.

In your car it is not necessary. having made that mistake once, you ought to be able to avoid it happening again without having to jerry rig some device onto your car.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #27
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by albjerryg View Post
yes that make sense and is done in most cases. But when you head is under the dash and tracing wire out with a voltmeter in one hand and flipping the switch on an off to check the wiring it not too hard to switch it one notch too far and the car starts????Thanks jerry
Yeah, when doing this, put it in neutral and ensure the handbrake is on. Chock the wheels if necessary.

Smart Alec answers out of the way, you could temporarily disconnect the wire from the start terminal of the switch to the starter.

Nice looking car by the way.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote