Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
37coop

Default 39 axle oil seal replacement

Hi guys , with help from the barn I removed the gearbox from the axle end,the rebuilt box is now back in .i,v just discovered oil from one of the rear brake drums on the floor ,I,v taken off the drum and axle oil over the drum/brake bits so I guess a new oil seal in the axle is needed.The issue is.....I replaced all seals around 25 years ago when I stripped the car totally and rebuilt ,I ran it for the first time a couple of months ago when I finished the restoration,I would have thought the seals would have kept good or maybe I fitted it incorrectly ,I,m not sure about the other side I will pull the drum and see. The question I,m asking is because I,m a bit short of workshop room can the axle casing each side be withdrawn without taking off and pulling the whole axle unit from under the car,I,v got a proper spring spreader and good tools, also in the parts books I,m a bit confused with the term grease seal,does that mean oil seal,and I,v noticed when I took off the hub it didn't have the fibre type washer but maybe not really necessary .i,v looked on the barn at a previous thread on the seal replacement and it seemed a bit confusing at what way round the seal goes,I would have thought the sharp bit facing the axle not the drum,maybe I put it the wrong way round all them years ago and the reason for the leak...any advice would be great ,thanks. Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
35ragtop

Default Re: 39 axle oil seal replacement

Hi 37 coop,
It is my humble opinion that it is far less frustrating if you remove the entire rear assembley from the car and work on it that way. I have done it both ways, but the in -car method requires far more laying on your side time under the car, which depending on your age, may or may not be a problem. I found that i had just about everything disconnected apart from the torque tube at the transmission end and the shock on one side. I had to undo the spring from the chassis ,as it would not spread correctly while bolted up. I would not do it this way in the future. But it is possible.
This was on my 34 pickup.
Dave
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
supereal

There are three seals on each side of the rear axle assembly. The hub grease seal is B-1175 for 28-38, 78-1175 for 38-48. Note that there is a choice for '38, between early and late, so be sure you measure the diameter of the old seal. All seals are placed so the lip of the seal (the exposed side) faces toward grease or oil to be contained. The two others are 4245A, which is installed inside each housing. The rear axle assembly must be removed and disassembled to install, which is usually not done unless the axle is out and apart for some other reason. If you are getting gear oil into the drums, the axle is being overfilled. Keep the level just below the lower edge of the filler hole. The last seal is a fiber washer, 1183, that goes over the out end of the axle as it protrudes outside the hub. It fits a recess in the end of the hub, and goes under the washer before the axle nut is added and tightened. This "seal" catches any oil that migrates down the axle shaft.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
37coop

Thanks guys,I think that just about sorts it for me ....sadly I,m now bit of an old guy so I will bite the bullet and take it right out,when I took it apart 25 years years ago I was slim ,strong and had proper hair,bloody hell time has taken its toll,thanks again,and if I need more advice I will post again . Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote