Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
Kube

Default Re: Interest in new restoration project thread?

I tend to be very methodical during the process of restoration. That method seemingly keeps me from having to do things twice.
I measure, then measure again, and again - whatever is necessary. I trial fit all parts before any finish is applied.
All of the factory welds are removed and will be replaced when appropriate.
I am using a reproduction tail pan as well as the rear most trunk floor. Both pieces are "okay" as delivered. Okay at best. Both took quite a bit of massaging to get to fit properly.
The center floor pan is not available as reproduction and even though this one was beat up, it will be beautiful once reinstalled.
Note the tool tray was very solid. Most of the authentic tar paper lining remained intact.
This car was hit from behind at some point in its life. What I am unable to determine is why the floor was damaged as it was. the rear quarters have zero damage and zero repairs. The tail pan and rear most trunk floor were both damaged fairly bad.
I gut tells me two distinct causes. Tail pan? Simple rear end type accident. Floor? Perhaps something very heavy was tossed in there? hey, it happens. I'd restored a '40 coupe about six years ago that was 100% rust and dent free. Beautiful car to start with. Trunk floor was dented so badly, sheet metal stretched... turns out the previous owner threw an engine block in the trunk!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050313.JPG (147.5 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg P1050315.JPG (143.5 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg P1050316.JPG (151.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg trunk b4.jpg (77.0 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by Kube; 11-08-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Kube is online now   Reply With Quote