Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
PaleWhale

Default '59 Ranch Wagon Air ride???

I've been searching the web for some sort of air leveling/ air ride system. I started out looking at Gabriel HiJackers for the rear, but they have different mounts then my wagon. ( HiJackers have 2 studs)... Same thing with the Monroe air shocks.. But they all work with the Country Sedan, which I didn't think would have a different suspension system, unless every large website just doesnt have it in the system..

So then I tried looking for a more complete air ride system with bags. I cant find anything that say it will work! Has anyone every done this to their Ford? Or know what the Difference in suspension is for the Country Sedan VS. Ranch Wagon?
Thanks guys!!
PaleWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: '59 Ranch Wagon Air ride???

If you want the air only on the rear, scrap yard Lincoln town cars have a system that moves over to a different vehicle fairly simply. If you want the whole car to have it, buy a low rider magazine and check the adds.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
PaleWhale

Are they air shocks? And around what years for the town car? Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleWhale View Post
I've been searching the web for some sort of air leveling/ air ride system. I started out looking at Gabriel HiJackers for the rear, but they have different mounts then my wagon. ....
Thanks guys!!
Are you just looking to restore the rear ride height of the wagon, or something else?
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
PaleWhale

I want to be able to adjust the shocks to help with ride height while the wagon is loaded. With 2 adults in the back, the rear will scrape going out of parking lots.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
5851a

Had a 88 Lincoln Town Car and had air assist shocks. The top was a stud mount and the bottom was an eye type. There was a Monroe that would fit but I bought the Ford ones as replacements. Shock makers should have catalogs that would give you the extended and compressed length along with the end mountings and load ratings.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleWhale View Post
I want to be able to adjust the shocks to help with ride height while the wagon is loaded. With 2 adults in the back, the rear will scrape going out of parking lots.
Find a spring & suspension shop near you that can re-arch and add an extra leaf to the 57 yr old, probably very saggy, original leaf springs you already have. That will give you much better ride height to start with, then whatever add-on you find won't have to work so hard.
The original shock mounts were designed for holding original shocks and slowing down movement of the rear axle, not supporting extra weight. (don't ask about the holes the top (air) shock mounts put thru the body of a Mercury I had)
Some of the oem / salvage yard suggestions mentioned above might work out well or there could be several after-market options.
Example: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...air_steel.html

If you have trouble finding a local spring shop you might ask around at 4x4 shops.
I do like the air adjustable overload items.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-23-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
JeffB2

These guys have been around since forever almost,use this form to contact them I would not be surprised if since Ford used the 9" rears with leaf springs an F-100 or E-100 application could work on your wagon. https://www.airliftcompany.com/support/request-kit/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
These guys have been around since forever almost,use this form to contact them I would not be surprised if since Ford used the 9" rears with leaf springs an F-100 or E-100 application could work on your wagon. https://www.airliftcompany.com/support/request-kit/
This is the same mfr. that makes the overload kit I bought for my 4wd truck, 10+ yrs ago.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-23-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
Bill in Al

Sounds like you need springs.My first new car was a 1959 Ranchwagon twodoor, sky blue, six cylinder.I could haul four adults with a couple of kiddies in the rear space with no problem.
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
paul2748

The country sedan and the ranch wagon should have the same suspension. Springs may be different load-wise (for the heavier country sedan) but the basic suspension should be the same. Shocks may be different load-wise also.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
PaleWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
The country sedan and the ranch wagon should have the same suspension. Springs may be different load-wise (for the heavier country sedan) but the basic suspension should be the same. Shocks may be different load-wise also.
I've looked into that, because it is much easier to find suspension parts for the Country Sedan , but many of the shock mounts look different. Also, many websites say they're not compatible with each other.