Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2021, 04:57 AM   #1
47Merc

Default 1934 Steering box

A friend has a left hand drive 1934 Tudor and is looking to improve the steering as it is very hard to drive particularly with radial tires. He has had the box fully rebuilt with all new internals but is still not happy with it.

We have heard that an F1 box can be fitted but wondered if this is a bolt in operation or needs modifications or is there a better solution using a box out of a more modern car or even a new after market box? What would you suggest?
Thanks
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:41 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 1934 Steering box

I had the same problem and sold the car before going further..Stiff and hard steering.The F1 is not a direct bolt in. The frame on the F1 is parallel.The 34 Frame is angled -or tapers to the front so the sector housing will have to be modified.The F1 worm shaft comes out the bottom of the case.The '34 the top.2 angles to deal with the frame and worm shaft.If the HL switch of the '34 is to be used another issue,maybe that can be altered.The worm shaft where the steering wheel is mounted is splined on the F1.The '34 - Woodruff key. Flathead Ted in NZ makes a COMPLETELY all new 17-1 direct bolt in. Neal in CA who is a member here makes a '37 Hudson setup that might work.Here is a pic of Flathead Ted's unit which I pulled off his site.

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-24-2021 at 05:49 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:53 AM   #3
Terry,OH

You may want to check out Flathead Ted, he is in N.Z. , he manufactures and sells a bolt in replacement box with the roller sector.
www.flatheadted.com
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
jimTN

I was fixing to mention the Hudson gear. I have one of those and it looks like it would fit with a minimum of work. Who has done that and how did it work out?
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
Wrenchead

You might want to check our Lares Corp. They rebuild steering boxes.
Wrenchead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
Andy

Flathead Ted says out of stock. There are several people selling modified F100 boxes. I did it myself and probably saved a fortune. It was a improvement.
I made a weld jig off the original box, cut the flange off and welded a new on on. I was trying not to cut on the car.
The housings are steel.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:21 AM   #7
Tom in TN

Andy - got any names?
Tom in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:15 AM   #8
Mart

It all depends on how handy you are. f1 swaps need some welding done. Is this allowed in Aus? I have used f1 in my current 32 build but as stated, welding is required, plus it relocates the steering column and the change in angle might not suit some.
On my lhd 33 I built a hybrid box using a lhd 37 type casing and rhd innards. The 37 are normally cross steer. This is effectively the same as an f1 but with the worm/column above the pitman shaft instead of below it. Once again, this requires welding. If I were doing it again, I would consider "reversing" a rhd 37 type box and using that. I've never seen it done, but I have looked at it and I think it could be made to work. My hybrid lhd/rhd 37 setup is effectively the same as a Hudson. I have a hudson box in my roadster and it is a great setup. Welding required as normal, and a decent sized lathe is useful, too.
If you want to retain any steering box mounted switchgear, this will add to the complication of any conversion.
Like I said, it depends on how handy you are.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote