Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #1
o2bnkc

Default Wiring my new alternator

I just got my new 6 volt positive ground Powermaster one wire alternator. I'm not 100% sure how to wire it up properly. Can someone explain it to me? As I understand it, the negative side of the battery goes to the output post on the alternator, and a ground wire goes from one of the case bolts to the engine block? Do I need to do anything with the wires coming from the voltage regulator besides tape them off?

Last edited by o2bnkc; 05-18-2021 at 10:33 PM.
o2bnkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:49 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: Wiring my new alternator

All I did was run a 10 gauge wire from alternator output to the "BAT" terminal on the
regulator on top of the 'battery' wire thats already there. This way everything is the
same as was with the generator and the regulator is now dead because it needs to be fed with the armature and field wires to energize itself.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
Desoto291Hemi

One wire alternator,,,,,should just use one wire .
It should ground by being mounted to the engine ?

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
Ken/Alabama

At the regulator hook the Arm wire and Batt wire together. You can do it on the regulator if your leaving it there for looks. Just tape off the field wire at the generator and connect the large Armature wire to the new powergen.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
deuce_roadster

I gutted a voltage regulator internally so that the only thing being used electrically is the BAT terminal. That way I could connect the ARM and FIELD wires to it but they do nothing but look correct. I hide the generator ends of the ARM and FIELD wires. A 1 wire generator is regulated internally.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #6
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
At the regulator hook the Arm wire and Batt wire together. You can do it on the regulator if your leaving it there for looks. Just tape off the field wire at the generator and connect the large Armature wire to the new powergen.
Ditto. Lets you use the existing Armature wire; it is of sufficient size.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
Bob NH

Glad this question was asked. I have tried about everything and still no working alternator. Guys on here some time back were kind enough to even send me a bunch of diagrams and I still don't get it ! I guess what I must be screwed up with is the fact I am on the wrong terminals on the control panel or not using the voltage terminal ? Going to try again tomorrow.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #8
o2bnkc

Thanks for the help. It sounds like big job and Ken/Alabama basically did it the same way with drolston agreeing. I'll do that setup tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:47 PM   #9
o2bnkc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
Glad this question was asked. I have tried about everything and still no working alternator. Guys on here some time back were kind enough to even send me a bunch of diagrams and I still don't get it ! I guess what I must be screwed up with is the fact I am on the wrong terminals on the control panel or not using the voltage terminal ? Going to try again tomorrow.
Good luck. I will be doing mine too.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:12 PM   #10
koates

You dont have to GUT OUT the voltage regulator at all. As others have said, connect what was the generator armature wire on to the main output terminal of the new alternator. You have the field wire left there so just tape it up or cut it off. At the voltage regulator remove the armature wire from its terminal and move it over to the battery terminal and screw it down with the battery wire. Leave the field wire on the field terminal. The armature terminal stays with nothing connected to it so just tighten up the screw. This leaves the voltage regulator still in position to retain the original look. Its a 10 minute job, and you are ready to go. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:05 AM   #11
o2bnkc

Thanks Kevin. You guys sure made this job sound very easy. What a great site!
Old 05-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #12
big job

I was going to say to use the armature wire for the alt. output but didn't want to confuse you. I added a out put wire (alt to Batt terminal) only if this alt quits I put
back the generator with no changes. Also going back to Tommy the DeSoto grounding.
I thought the same the alternator should be grounded by the bolt. But It did charge but worse than the generator. Drove me crazy cause I thought that ground 'stud' on the alternator was a simple ground. I tested that and found not so. This ground is isolated from the case. OK I put a simple ground wire from that stud to a carburetor nut then = it put out to beat the band..just saying
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:27 PM   #13
Bob NH

I hope today that your alternator is now up and functioning as it should ? I have to say mine finally is and it only needed one wire moved to a different place, I am thrilled beyond words.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
o2bnkc

I just mounted the new alternator on the engine. I just wanted to double check on here before I wire it up. I discovered something a little curious when I took the generator off. The field wire on the generator was connected to the armature terminal on the regulator and the armature wire (the big one) was connected to the field terminal on the regulator. What did this do to my generator? Just curious.
o2bnkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bnkc View Post
I just mounted the new alternator on the engine. I just wanted to double check on here before I wire it up. I discovered something a little curious when I took the generator off. The field wire on the generator was connected to the armature terminal on the regulator and the armature wire (the big one) was connected to the field terminal on the regulator. What did this do to my generator? Just curious.
Well it would at least cause the generator not to charge at all. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
o2bnkc

I wondered why after my short drives, I would put it back on the Battery Tender and it would take a couple of days, not hours, for it to fully charge and get a green light on the tender. Now I know why.