Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default Carb follow up 53 Merc

So, with the hesitation when revved, the Holly 1901 FF tea pot carb, as far as I can tell, runs fine other wise, but if the accelerator pump is bad, I would like to just replace that, if it turns out to be the cause of the hesitation.

I have a rebuild kit, but I don't want to pay for a complete rebuild as I'm not advanced enough to try, but figured I'd need the gaskets as it looks like the pump is internal and to replace it, the carb has to come apart some......yes?

If it's not the pump, I'll have the kit anyway, for a rebuild at some point.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Carb follow up 53 Merc

So, with the hesitation when revved, the Holly 1901 FF tea pot carb, as far as I can tell, runs fine other wise, but if the accelerator pump is bad, I would like to just replace that, if it turns out to be the cause of the hesitation.

It is up to you, but I would first try the suggestion of scicala: It's easy to see if the accel pump is up to snuff on a 1901 teapot Holley two barrel. It should give a squirt out of the two small brass nozzles coming out of the bottom of the bowl with the slightest movement of the throttle, and are aimed at an angle towards the choke plates. If that works, then I would leave the carb alone for now and drive the car for a month, to get a true feel for the car. If it hasn't been driven for a while, many of the issues may work them self out. The worst thing you can do to these cars, is let them set, for long periods of time.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-19-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Merc Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

It is up to you, but I would first try the suggestion of scicala: It's easy to see if the accel pump is up to snuff on a 1901 teapot Holley two barrel. It should give a squirt out of the two small brass nozzles coming out of the bottom of the bowl with the slightest movement of the throttle, and are aimed at an angle towards the choke plates. If that works, then I would leave the carb alone for now and drive the car for a month, to get a true feel for the car. If it hasn't been driven for a while, many of the issues may work them self out. The worst thing you can do to these cars, is let them set, for long periods of time.
Will do......
Old 06-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
bigd1101

So, looks like the pump is working as described by Scicala. With a good force I might say, directed at the choke plates at an angle.

The hesitation seems to be caused by something else.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
Merc Cruzer

I have lived with the hesitation for as long as I have owned the car. I have rebuilt and changed out many of the items discussed, but it never completely went away. I keep reminding myself that the worst injustice to the classic car owner is the engineering that went into the modern day car, with its fuel injection and computerized engines. It is really too bad, that we can't go back in time, and go to a dealer show room and test drive a new one off the lot.

My suggestion would still be, drive it and see if it gets better with time. When you compare it to today's modern day engines, it is amazing they run at all. The advantage bring, they will get you home even if they aren't runnig perfectly. Where as that new car in the garage, next to the Merc, when the computer dies you get on your cell phone and call someone to come get you. Your piece of mind these days is you have a cell phone to make the call, you don't have to walk to find a pay phone.

Get out there and get acquainted with your car. Just make sure your cell phone is charged. One of the first things I learned, was the the gas gauge was not accurate. Not the worst experience, since all I had to do was call my wife to bring the gas can with gas to get me to the closes station. Which by the way was about a block away. Back in 53', that would have been a longer story.

My worst learning experience was the vapor lock. After having to pull the car off the road to let it cool down too many times, I installed an elect fuel pump, that I use as a back up to the mechanical pump. I normally run on the mechanical pump, but when the car starts to dive forward, due to lack of gas, I now simply turn on the electric fuel pump and the cars picks right back up. The issue is still there, but now I have a solution that doesn't involve waiting along side the road on a hot day.

In closing, one final story. On my first test drives, after the car was delivered, (I bought it in New Mexico and I live in Colorado), I noticed that when I applied the brakes, the car pulled heavily to the right. When I got home I took off the left front wheel.... see attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (83.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-19-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
bigd1101

I'm always anal with my new old cars......just me I guess. One thing I will check is the timing. Should be a tad advanced they tell me. That would be one possible cause of stumbling at acceleration. Process of elimination.

Does the 1901 have a power valve?

BTW....never owned a cell phone. Never sent a text message

Last edited by bigd1101; 06-19-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
Merc Cruzer

Smile Re: Carb follow up 53 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post
I'm always anal with my new old cars......just me I guess. One thing I will check is the timing. Should be a tad advanced they tell me. That would be one possible cause of stumbling at acceleration. Process of elimination.

BTW....never owned a cell phone. Never sent a text message
A tad more advance might resolve the issue. Make sure the vacuum advance is working, those old pods some times get a hole in the diaphragm.

Cell phone, it is the best tool you can carry in the car. It keeps you in control of the car. I am 74, I broke down a few years back, because of my job, before I retired, and bought a cell phone. I don't text either. Some new technology can be useful, as long as you stay in control of it. Now AT&T is telling me i need to buy a new one before 2022 because they are going to 5G and mine phone will only support 3G. All I can say is "I love the classics man".

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-19-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #8
Charlie ny
BANNED

bigd,
Send the carb and what's left the kit to Sal, While he's doing his thing change the points and condenser in the distributor....be sure to set the gap correctly. Too wide a gap can cause a stumble. Check your spark plugs...for general use Autolite 216 or a
touch hotter 437 at .025 gap. Fouled plugs can certainly cause a stumble.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #9
bobH

Quote:

In closing, one final story. On my first test drives, after the car was delivered, (I bought it in New Mexico and I live in Colorado), I noticed that when I applied the brakes, the car pulled heavily to the right. When I got home I took off the left front wheel.... see attached picture.
INCREDIBLE.... My conscious would NEVER let me turn over a car to someone, in that condition. I'm glad for you that you are here to tell the story.

(Cell phone and triple A card solves almost anything. My problem is, I drive in many locations with NO cell phone coverage. I still carry tools and spares.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #10
Merc Cruzer

I agree with Charlie ny on the Autolite 216. I tried allot of other brands before I go those.

I will say recently, I bought all new correct wires (with the Ford logo), condenser, rotor, cap, points and vacuum pod. After installing them it has never run better.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #11
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
INCREDIBLE.... My conscious would NEVER let me turn over a car to someone, in that condition. I'm glad for you that you are here to tell the story.

(Cell phone and triple A card solves almost anything. My problem is, I drive in many locations with NO cell phone coverage. I still carry tools and spares.)
In the beginning, I never took it far from home. I somewhat knew what I was getting in to when I bought the car. Bought it with my heart, but figured I could fix anything, and have been given the opportunity on numerous occasions. I pretty much have touched every inch of the car now. A great learning experience to say the least.

Cell phone came in handy when I snapped an axle, but that is another story.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:10 AM   #12
bigd1101

Quote:
I agree with Charlie ny on the Autolite 216. I tried allot of other brands before I go those.

I will say recently, I bought all new correct wires (with the Ford logo), condenser, rotor, cap, points and vacuum pod. After installing them it has never run better.
Do you have a # for the vacuum pod that will fit my car? That is one thing I did not get for the tune up.

Found one........

Last edited by bigd1101; 06-20-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #13
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post
Do you have a # for the vacuum pod that will fit my car? That is one thing I did not get for the tune up.

Found one........

Good , sounds like you are good to go.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #14
Charlie ny
BANNED

bigd,
MacVanpelt has them....he is my source 513 724 9486
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote