Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
john mitchell

Default 1932 Transmission swap

I have a 32 coupe with 39 trans. with LZ gearset. The trans. is was extremely whiney and was told that is typical. They might be aftermarket that is not identified no info for sure. The trans. is now growling I drained the oil and many fine particles too many for a newly done low mileage trans. should have. I have been reading of trans. swaps T5's, Ford 3 o/d, etc. My problem is I would like to keep the crossmember intact as much as possible and also the body is on the car. I was reading a thread and it was mentioned that a company JUST 32 may have parts available for such a swap limiting the k member being cut up. I have tried to find the JUST 32 can't locate it anywhere in computer land. I appreciate any help thank you. By the way the engine is a 53 Merc.bored to 264 39 trans. not sure on rear end 3;54 or3;78. Thanks for the information and to the BARN .
john mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 1932 Transmission swap

I would suggest pulling the transmission out and rebuilding it with the LZ gears if they are still good, and if not, find a newer set of donor gears from a '40-'48 side loader transmission. Use nos or known good bearings.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-02-2021 at 02:44 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Andy

Any late model trans is going to require major rear end modifications plus chopping the K member. I built a 32 5W with a 274, lincoln gears, 3.25 rear. The trans was wonderful. I would get your trans rebuilt by someone who knows what he is doing. I would keep the Lincolns if possible. There is absolutly no reason it should make metal if done right.

Ps, I have 32 roadster with a 57 Chevy trans in it and no K member cutting. It does have a Maverick rear and a 40 column shift. It require moving the pedals, cutting the firewall, a hump in the floor, and a custon mount for the trans. It has been a hot rod since the late 40's.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mitchell View Post
I have a 32 coupe with 39 trans. with LZ gearset. The trans. is was extremely whiney and was told that is typical. They might be aftermarket that is not identified no info for sure. The trans. is now growling I drained the oil and many fine particles too many for a newly done low mileage trans. should have. I have been reading of trans. swaps T5's, Ford 3 o/d, etc. My problem is I would like to keep the crossmember intact as much as possible and also the body is on the car. I was reading a thread and it was mentioned that a company JUST 32 may have parts available for such a swap limiting the k member being cut up. I have tried to find the JUST 32 can't locate it anywhere in computer land. I appreciate any help thank you. By the way the engine is a 53 Merc.bored to 264 39 trans. not sure on rear end 3;54 or3;78. Thanks for the information and to the BARN .
The transmission should not be "whiney" or "growl". There is a problem, that is not typical.

Have it rebuilt by someone that knows what they are doing, http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm, stick with the old transmission.

PUT YOUR GENERAL LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILE SO SOMEONE CAN RECOMMEND A GOOD PERSON LOCAL TO REBUILD YOUR TRANSMISSION IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY SUGGESTION.

Remember if you go to a later transmission you will probably also have to go to an open drive.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
deuce5wndw

Sounds like the faulty soft china bearings in the cluster. I just tore apart one that had 1900 miles on it with NOS case and all gears but had metal flakes and that was the problem. Lots of model A guys are having the same problem! No matter who rebuilds it will not last if those soft bearings are used in the rebuild! I just finished one up yesterday and used really good used B-7118 bearings and B-7111.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
Kraton

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mitchell View Post
The trans. is was extremely whiney and was told that is typical. .

Is the whine in all of the gears or just in the third gear? I experienced a whine in the third gear only and that proved to be an alignment problem. Shimming the flywheel housing to spec solved that problem for me.

Dick
Kraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Sounds like a crappy set of off-shore bearings . . . most likely in the cluster gear, but probably also in the main-drive shaft to input shaft gear (usually all three are replaced as a set).

Hopefully the front bearing surface of the main shaft is not worn as a result - as the correct tolerances are KEY to these transmissions working correctly and for them to NOT slip out of 2nd gear on a higher speed deceleration event.

I'd have somebody who really knows these transmissions go through it - and hopefully they put a non-repop cluster shaft in it and non-repop offshore bearings in it.

Who did the current rebuild? Where are you located?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
deuce5wndw

I have a few extra NOS B-7121 long caged bearings I would trade for the
B-7118 bearings. 859-339-0230
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
john mitchell

Thank you all will have it out soon.
john mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
jayvee34

If you decide to change out your gears I have a transmission out of a 40 Mercury in excellent condition that you can use the gears from, it is advertised in the swap meet
section here on the Barn. I change the 40 Merc over to a C-4 automatic trans, reason for
removing it. If interested PM me. Thanks

It would be easier to see it on craig's list, Jacksonville, or Daytona Bch., Fl.

Last edited by jayvee34; 06-07-2021 at 11:02 AM.
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The Lincoln Zephyr is a heavy car, The gear set for them was designed to work with a 4.11:1 rear axle ratio or higher number. Hot rodders used them so they could get off the line fast but they aren't much for top end and modern highway speeds. A lot depends on the weight of the car and how fast a person wants to go. The 15/29 input set works the best with a 3.54:1 rear axle gear for a light body car to get up to highway speeds. They aren't as good off the line but they cruise well. A good in between is the standard 16/28 input set with 3.78:1 rear gears.

There have been problems with those long caged rollers used in the input and the counter shaft. Mac VanPelt may know some usable new stuff but NOS old ones are the best so far. There likely aren't many NOS ones around in this day and age. Good used ones will work, as was mentioned, as long as they are in fact "good".
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #12
Fred A

Sounds like rotorwrench got off the mark about the gearsets and why they are used. Surprised me to notice how wrong he got a couple of things. Hope some more credible barner can help him sort it out. John Mitchell is already been listening to some strange advice. Good Luck: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 06-09-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep, think he has it a bit backwards, or we are not understanding. Zephyr gears are like a close ratio set up, less RPM changes between the gears. The lower ratio of the different Zephyr first gears require a lower rear axle gear if acceleration for a stop is an issue. All of the early transmission are 1:1 in high gear, so only thing that makes a difference is the axle ratio (and tire dia) at that point.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #14
rotorwrench

The Lincolns had an extra gear with overdrive so the close ratio was there to get those heavy cars up to speed in good order. I like a lower 1st gear ratio to help pull a taller rear axle. Read this thread from the HAMB. Mac VP has a good explanation of those 40 & later Zephyr gears.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...gears.1038078/
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote