Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
clark51

Unhappy Radio only works part time!

I have a very confusing situation with my radio. It is a 12V replica radio I installed in my 51 F1 truck that is still 6V positive ground. I installed the power inverter for positive ground systems and it comes in with 6.8 V and converts to 12.06 V. With the key on the radio uses .59 A and the radio works fine. If I start the truck with the radio on it works until I shut it off then it wont work. If I start the truck and try to turn on the radio it wont turn on. Only the light comes on but cant change stations and not even static. The amps used jumps to 3.6A and 4A. Macs Auto warrantied the power inverter but that didn't change anything. I tried to disconnect the radio light, speaker, antenna, no change. I disconnected the radio and hooked up an equalizer and the amps were less but similar reaction . Has anyone seen anything like this before?
clark51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Radio only works part time!

My partner and I were working on a more sophisticated power inverter and booster (6V positive to 12V negative) a few years ago. Our unit had a bunch of circuitry built into it to damp out the spikes from the "dirty" power produced by the old generators (believe me, it IS substantial). In the end, we found that the cost required to make a dependable, quality unit was unacceptable to the market, so we abandoned the project.

One of the things that we discovered was that most of the base components available at a reasonable cost were unable to supply their rated power for any reasonable period of time. The most we could get consistently out of the reasonably priced units was less than 2 amps. We had the option of using better (read : more expensive) components, but that would have driven the cost way over what the market would bear.

Sorry, but from where I sit, the power inverter you are using is just not up to the task.

It seems "Mac's" will sell anything.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:17 PM   #3
koates

Default Re: Radio only works part time!

These inverters are very fussy about the power (voltage level) that they receive from the battery so that if it is down a bit they will shut off. Do a temporary hook up with the battery supply for the inverter by using two heavy cables straight from the battery neg and pos terminals into the inverter. Connecting the inverter up through ignition switches and other power connections in your car may not work. Make sure your battery is charged right up too. I have had this issue with 6v to 12 inverters before. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote